Home Forums General Discussion RED WINE

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    lemons
    Participant

Im on my 4th week of Minocin and have had no Herxing as such but, although wrists, fingers are inflamed I can now make a fist for the first time in ages and on awakening my fingers aren’t as stiff and curled up. Is it ok to have a couple of glasses of red wine on the days Im not on the Minocin ? I haven’t had a drink since May and I very much now want one ! All Im eating is boring healthy stuff and revolting juices, no dairy, nothing nice that makes life worth living, so just wondered if a good organic low sulphate wine would be ok ?

BG
    Participant

lemons,

You might want to consider the following research when making your decision about whether to consume red wine or not.

lemons
    Participant

Thanks BG, although it was a very depressing link. Have to be a nice organic vodka then instead πŸ˜‰

Valsmum
    Participant

My friend told me that French wines do not have nitrates. Do you know if this is true?
    Thanks πŸ™‚

lemons
    Participant

Apparently wine imported into the US has higher amounts of nitrates than if bought in the country of origin. Something to do with required preservative levels. Why is it that everything that’s good is bad ? Having huge cravings for large glass of merlot accompanied with stilton cheese and crackers 😈

Valsmum
    Participant

Poor Lemons,

Maybe you should try some merlot and see how you feel. I love cheese and crackers too, but they don’t love me back πŸ™

Some folks over at http://www.kickas.org are on a no starch diet for their arthritis & drink chardonnay and feel better after having it. It was a topic about two months ago.
    Take care!

laurawm
    Participant

Hi Lemons,

I was going to say something similar to Valsmum – drink a little – maybe 1/4 of a glass, and see how you feel over the next couple of days. I can’t tolerate alcohol, but several studies show that many with RA may actually benefit from some level of alcohol:

http://www.webmd.com/rheumatoid-arthritis/news/20100728/study-alcohol-helps-rheumatoid-arthritis-symptoms

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/07/27/drinking.rheumatoid.arthritis/index.html

To some degree, I believe it must have to do with what bugs and toxins are in our systems, and just how “broken” our enzyme production system and detox system has gotten. Mine is pretty rough – others not so much. I still experiment with different foods and have slowly been able to add a few things back to my diet over time such as butter, raw milk kefir, small amounts of rice taken with probiotics etc..

Best to you!
    Laura

PhilC
    Participant

@lemons wrote:

Thanks BG, although it was a very depressing link. Have to be a nice organic vodka then instead πŸ˜‰

Gin might be a better choice than vodka because of the juniper berries that are used to flavour it — you’d be getting a little herbal medicine along with the alcohol.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Red wine has sulfur dioxide as preservative And no sulfites are good for us. You could look for preservative free wine (different to organic which are not necessarily pres free). Also almost all vodkas these days are grain based which means gluten. One exception is Ciroc actually made from distllied grapes.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lemons
    Participant

Thanks for all suggestions. Maybe I will make my own wine, at least I will know whats in it !

PhilC
    Participant

This web page may be helpful:
    Gluten-Free Vodka List – What’s Available in Liquor Stores?

If available, I would choose vodka made from grapes. I do not like the idea of vodka made from potatoes or corn, especially potatoes (a nightshade). And if you cannot find vodka made from grapes, why not just buy brandy?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lemons
    Participant

Thanks Phil, but Im not fond of brandy. Im going to have a huge glass of wine this evening and sod the consequences 😑

kater
    Participant

lemons
    i am curious how your wine experiment went? I am sure Saturday was awesome πŸ˜† but how about Sunday and Monday?
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

lemons
    Participant

Hi Kater, I ended up drinking a tad more than one large glass of red wine on Saturday (more like a bottle). It was so nice to feel free from dietary restraints for the first time in 4 months, and even better to get slightly rat arsed !! I can honestly say I felt fine the next day. It was an expensive bottle of organic red, from New Zealand & had a picture of a duck on the label, from what I can recall……I think once in a while its good to be bad, but Im now back on the boring healthy diet until next time 😈

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.