Home Forums General Discussion Red nose

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

A little while ago I went into the bathroom, and when I looked into the mirror I noticed that my nose was red. Not bright red, but very pink. Right now my nose feels a little warm. This has happened a few times recently, and I am not sure what the cause is. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Roz
    Participant

[user=1429]PhilC[/user] wrote:

A little while ago I went into the bathroom, and when I looked into the mirror I noticed that my nose was red. Not bright red, but very pink. Right now my nose feels a little warm. This has happened a few times recently, and I am not sure what the cause is. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Phil

Dear Phil,

How do you feel. I also have this SX lately but in my case I think it's a good thing.

Hugs, Roz

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Roz,

I feel okay. Not bad, but could be better. Later that day, after I posted that message, another odd symptom appeared. I experienced a mild burning sensation in the toes of both feet. I'm not sure if that symptom and the red nose are related, but I think they could be.

Actually, I suspect the burning sensation in my toes is somehow being caused by doxycycline. I took 100 mg about three to four hours before I noticed my red nose and burning toes. Hey, that rhymes! 😀  Anyway, it's happening again today. I took my doxy almost three hours ago and I noticed that the front part of both of my feet are feeling hot while I am writing this. And just a just a few minutes ago I went into the bathroom to check my nose and saw that it was quite pink.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Patti D
    Participant

Geeze Phil,
    Red nose & burning toes,never had that, at least at the same time. Ha! Did have hot burning top of the feet when I was first on doxycycline for the lyme but suspected I was experiencing my first major herx.
    The nose thing is really something different.Maybe someone else can chime in and give you some ideas. Sure hope someone can help. It does not sound like an anaphylaxtic reaction and you didn't mention any burning or swelling in your throat.
    Good luck!
    Patti

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Patti,

I am pretty sure that it's not an allergic reaction. I suspect that the doxy is somehow causing some peripheral vasodilation.

I just did a quick Google search to see if I could find any connection between doxycycline and vasodilation, and found this page:

General Info for omega 3 fatty acids-doxycycline

If I understand that page correctly, it looks like vasodilation is a possible side effect caused by an interaction between doxycycline and omega-3 fatty acids. I take 2 (sometimes 3) grams of fish oil every day, so that could be it.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1429]PhilC[/user] wrote:

Hi Phil,

Red nose and feet…brought Raynaud's to mind – has your doc suggested this to you?

http://www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/raynauds.html

“What Is Raynaud's Phenomenon?
    Raynaud's is a disorder that affects the blood vessels in the fingers, toes, ears, and nose. This disorder is characterised by episodic attacks, called vasospastic attacks, that cause the blood vessels in the fingers and toes to constrict. Raynaud's can occur on its own, or it can be secondary to another condition such as scleroderma or lupus.”

Phil, I had a touch of this in the beginning with my RA/Lyme…mostly in my feet and in a few fingers.

Sorry I won't be around much over the weekend, but just quickly popping by and saw your post…what is your protocol now? Have you been given a definitive diagnosis yet?

Peace, Maz

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Well they're pretty opposite! What's your feeling about it Phil? Maybe you could try cutting out/down on the Fish Oil as a little experiment initially. Are you having regular Liver Function tests BTW? My doc told me that fish oil is quite tough on the liver. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Red nose’ is closed to new replies.