Home Forums General Discussion Reactive Arthritis / Confuse? Flagyl Helps? Doc don’t buy it

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    worldofme
    Participant

Great Tips. I’ve taken Flagyl 500mg three times a day up to 2 weeks straight. Then I would stop for a week, then I would take 500mg of flagyl (4 pills) at same time for a week then I would stop give break. I started taking flagyl on and off since January of 2015.

I’ve done this on and off for while. When on flagyl my symptoms are greatly reduce by 90%. once the flagyl is out of my system arthritis and UTI etc…all come back.

I could have countless blood test and Urine culture, nothing will ever show.

My Infection Disease doc has dis miss any elevated CD4 or cd26. In a week I’ll be getting more immune system testing done such as immune complex test once I’m off the prednisone.

At the moment I am taking prednisone to see if this really helps. If not I will continue Flagyl and add doxy.

My doctor has no issues giving me doxy / flagyl if it helps, but I need to know the root cause.

I have also tried Tindamax instead of Flagyl. Tindamax was not strong / produce results Flagyl did.

So I stick with Flgayl. I would hope this may give my doc some insight but he may think it’s anarobic Flagyl is helping with.

However, he also states that Anarobic Bacteria do not cause prostate infection / Reactive Arthritis.

I was thinking about adding Flagyl to current regimen of prednisone to see if arthritis goes into remission. The thing is I can’t be mixing drugs without proper protocol to follow.

I do not have faith in my rhummy who is more interested in TNF blockers than anything else.

I will ask my doc about GI and testing for certain bugs. Really, I don’t have any GI issues at the moment. I did in the early course of the disease but after taking cipro that never came back.

This question I’m about to ask is something no one is able to give me straight answer even the Urologist. Could I have a hidden prostate infection causing immune reaction?

If so, would tindamax be better than Flagyl for prostate?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

My Doctors do not believe in Antibiotics as treatment for Arthritis & they say never heard of that before and its strange why Flagyl is helping.

Your doctors need to study more.

This information may help to convince them:
    Reiter syndrome

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Phil,

They know ReA is cause by infection. However, they fail to identify the infection. None of the antibiotics have work. We know my ReA going on for 2 years is chronic. Question is why is it chronic?

I am HLB 27 Negative. I don’t see this disease stopping at all. I’m about to stop prednisone due to side effects and this pred has made no difference. Actually, it has just a little bit, but cause more other harmful side effects.

Linda L
    Participant

Wirldofme,
    Why is Flagyl “nasty”? /your words/
    Linda L

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

worldofme
    Participant

Flagyl is not nasty, it just the bitter taste in my mouth is annoying.

Regardless of how I feel about the meds I decided to start taking Flagyl as of today. I will start doing the pulsing. My question is would tindamax be better for tissue penetration / anarobic or flagyl?

I understand that they’re both from same family but I would like to know which one is superior.

My ID doctor recommends I also start taking bactrim if I wish after my research because he may think some of my symptoms may sound like whipples disease. He’s not exactly sure but says bactrim is the choice of meds.

I do feel bactrim to be causing allergic reaction so I’m not sure if I would like to take it but i don’t mind to try.

Thanks.

worldofme
    Participant

At the moment I am having severe joint pain in elbow, knee, and ankle. I started taking Flagyl today, 500mg two times a day. I will let you know how I feel in few days. Most likely the joint pain will go away.

So the big question is it the inflammatory process that is helping or killing actual microbes.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

I do feel bactrim to be causing allergic reaction so I’m not sure if I would like to take it but i don’t mind to try.

What does that mean? Did you take Bactrim and have an allergic reaction?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

I took Bactrim DS for 5 days and started having ear pain so I stop. However, in those 5 days this drug did help with prostate symptoms.

worldofme
    Participant

Plus, I heard Bactrim has really bad side effects such as Steve John syndrom. With my luck and rare diseases I keep getting I don’t want that one. I got pretty bad luck.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ben,

I don’t blame you for not wanting to take Bactrim. I took it for several months starting in November 2008. Other than some fatigue, I didn’t have any other problems with it. However, when I took it again later, in 2010, I had an allergic reaction to it.

As an alternative to Bactrim, you can take trimethoprim (Trimpex). Bactrim is a combination of a sulfa antibiotic (sulfamethoxazole) and trimethoprim. Trimethoprim is much safer than Bactrim because it’s mostly the sulfamethoxazole in Bactrim that’s responsible for the severe adverse reactions that some people experience from taking it.

Trimethoprim is an effective treatment for prostatitis. What works even better, though, is to take doxycycline and trimethoprim.

Since your disease has become chronic, you need to forget any idea you may have that a few weeks of antibiotic treatment should be enough to cure you. And any doctor who tells you that a short course of antibiotic treatment should be enough to cure you does not know what he or she is talking about. I only mention that because it appears that you think antibiotics aren’t working because your symptoms return when you stop taking them.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Phil,

Your right. I just need to find right ABX that I can take for a while. With my chronic condition I know it will be a long term treatment. I got a feeling there whatever it is has probably form a stone causing some sort of auto immune mediate reaction.

I will ask my doc to give me trimethoprim. I already have script for doxy.

I might do Doxy + trimethoprim + flagyl and see how everything pans out.

Do you feel that ABX can really treat / cure Spondalytitis when its activated?

My rheumy does not believe ABX will cure / treat Auto immune disease. ID Doc is okay to try ABX for treatment.

Confusing part is all of the cultures have been negative.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.