Home Forums General Discussion Raynauds – finger warming using electric heated mittens

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    enzed
    Participant

I bought electric mittens on line to warm my hands when my fingers go white.I can’t remember who I bought them from but they’re called Electric Heated Mittens and ebay Australia has several different brands / shapes listed. Mine have a temperature control so you don’t heat the fingers too fast. I always wear woolen gloves when using them to protect from over heating. Brilliant. Glad I found those. Perfect on a cold winters night.

richie
    Participant

Hi–when I was real sick –these mittens were a great source of comfort !!!!!!
    richie

enzed
    Participant

Hi Richie, I’m new on the forum and would appreciate any other tips you have for beating Raynauds. I use gloves, keep body temp up, dress like an eskimo for air conditioned malls etc. Can you direct me to appropriate posts please? There’s so much information here I’m getting a little lost trying to find the right information.

richie
    Participant

Hi—A calcium channel blocker helped me tremendously –also –wool socks —gloves and most importantly you must keep yopur body core warm –always wear a nice warm sweater –thanks-
    richie

enzed
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Hi—A calcium channel blocker helped me tremendously –also –wool socks —gloves and most importantly you must keep yopur body core warm –always wear a nice warm sweater –thanks-
    richie

Thanks Richie, I’m on Nifedipine so that’s good.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Can you direct me to appropriate posts please? There’s so much information here I’m getting a little lost trying to find the right information.

enzed -you might like to use the search box at the top of first page of General Discussion (where topics are listed). Type in one or two key words (e.g. Raynauds or Raynauds, gloves) and past discussion on the topic will come up for you.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

gbaker
    Participant

Hi – I have a question about nifedipine for Reynauds. Sounds like it is working for you, thats great! I was taking it for my Reynauds, 10mg at first which didnt make any difference and then the doc increased it to 60mg which made only made my feet and ankles blow up and still did not help the Reynauds….. I took myself off it after 3 weeks! The Raynauds continues to be a real problem for me. Its interesting that you live in Cairns as I took a break there recently and did not need to put on gloves the whole time..I put this down to the warm weather up there……but as soon as I returned to Brisbane on go the gloves again – so frustrating! Can you tell me what nifedipine dosage you take…..? I see that some people on this site take LDN and say it helps Reynauds. I am seeing an AP doc next week for the first time and will ask her about this. I dont take anything at the moment just supplements. Was interested to see that you got some electric gloves…I will certainly look at that for myself….

regards
    Gwen

richie
    Participant

Hi–I also take nifedipine –30 mg extended release –it has worked well for me –
    richie

enzed
    Participant

@gbaker wrote:

Hi – I have a question about nifedipine for Reynauds. Sounds like it is working for you, thats great! I was taking it for my Reynauds, 10mg at first which didnt make any difference and then the doc increased it to 60mg which made only made my feet and ankles blow up and still did not help the Reynauds….. I took myself off it after 3 weeks! The Raynauds continues to be a real problem for me. Its interesting that you live in Cairns as I took a break there recently and did not need to put on gloves the whole time..I put this down to the warm weather up there……but as soon as I returned to Brisbane on go the gloves again – so frustrating! Can you tell me what nifedipine dosage you take…..? I see that some people on this site take LDN and say it helps Reynauds. I am seeing an AP doc next week for the first time and will ask her about this. I dont take anything at the moment just supplements. Was interested to see that you got some electric gloves…I will certainly look at that for myself….

regards
    Gwen

Hi Gwen, I take Isosorbide Mononitrate- rheumy says its the same as nifedipine but a generic brand – the dose is 60mg. Because I have a finger ulcer the dose has been doubled to two a day but normally I take one a day. It doesn’t make my ankles swell up like it did for you. When the ulcer heals I will go back to 60mg a day as a maintenance dose. In addition I rub Rectogesic into my fingers – its a treatment for piles you can buy over the counter and opens blood vessels, OR I spray my fingers with nitrolingual, the script heart medication usually sprayed under the tongue. It opens blood vessels too. I visited Brisbane last summer and found it too cold for my fingers. Next time you visit Cairns send me a message if you want to meet up. Moving to Cairns was the best move I ever made. I hope the AP doesn’t make me too sensitive to the sun though, as its hard to avoid it here! I’ll look up LDN as I don’t know what that is.
    Cheers, Joss

gbaker
    Participant

Thank you to Richie and Joss for your response. Perhaps 30mg Nifedipine is worth a try for me…. thats half what my doc gave. Richie, you said 30 mg worked for you – does that mean you don’t have to live with white aching finger tips anymore? That would be wonderful…And, Joss, I am afraid to go back to 60mg ….so glad it works for you….I will however try the Rectogesic ointment.

Not sure when I will get back to Cairns….loved it!

again…..thank you both
    Gwen

JeffN
    Participant

+1 on the electric gloves or mittens. I have a pair of Gerbings battery powered gloves that I keep with me in the truck for winter outside work. I am very pleased. For snowboarding I usually put a pair of toe warmers heat packs in each mitten and that keeps my fingers warm for three to four hours. I find the toe warmers get hotter than hand warmers, they don’t last as long but the extra warmth is appreciated.

enzed
    Participant

@JeffN wrote:

+1 on the electric gloves or mittens. I have a pair of Gerbings battery powered gloves that I keep with me in the truck for winter outside work. I am very pleased. For snowboarding I usually put a pair of toe warmers heat packs in each mitten and that keeps my fingers warm for three to four hours. I find the toe warmers get hotter than hand warmers, they don’t last as long but the extra warmth is appreciated.

Jeff, that’s interesting, I’ll look up battery powered gloves. Be good to have on outings in colder weather.

quilter
    Participant

In November of 2007 I was in a hot whirl pool, my hands were ice cold and even being submerged in hot water didn

Dancing feet are Happy feet!
    Nov 2007 Raynauds, Jan 2008 Carpal tunnel, Aug 2008 Rotator cuff, May 2008 MCTD, July 2013 H.Pylori, Aug 2015 Vaginal Atrophy
    Medications: Minocycline 100 mg MWF, Low Dose Naltrexone 4.5mg, Acidophilus 1-3 a day, Estradiol patch
    Vitamins etc.: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Vitamin D-3 1000 IU a day, Aspirin 325 mg, Magnesium, B6, B12, Beta-carotene, Cranberry, Garlic, Multi Vitamin, and Glucosamine & Chondroitin with Boswellia & Manganese, & MSN, Grape Seed Complex, Meta

richie
    Participant

Hi–took a bit but no more white or red achy fingertips —but in cold weather I still need gloves —
    richie

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.