Home Forums General Discussion Ranbaxy Minocycline

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vinny
    Participant

I just recently changed to Humana medicare plan and did my first prescription though their mail order Rightsource pharmacy. The Minocycline was tier 1 with no charge and is made by Ranbaxy. The pills are a tablet in a caplet form. I hope they work as well as the Ranbaxy I started with back in 2008. Ranbaxy and the FDA must have resolved their problem. I will keep you updated on my level of pain and ability to exercise. I am leaving the Methotrexate and Prednisone in for now. I will be using the Minocycline 100mg daily.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

richie
    Participant

Hi ABC news just 3 hours ago halted shipments from another Ranbaxy plant –thats the second or third plant –personally while my minocin is the brand –others meds I take are generic -my local pharmacist knows my thoughts– no products from Indian cos that is made in India –if its made in the US thats fine —
    richie

richie
    Participant

Hi In the may 29 2013 issue of pharmalot.com -it mentions that some Indian hospitals have stopped using Ranbaxy –they listed 30 generics included was doxy and minocycline —Ranbaxy has sold out to Japanese interests –seems to have gone down hill even further –talks of massive lay offs and the US govt banning Ranbaxy prods for medicare and medicaid –where there smoke theres fire —
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Vinny,

They’re light yellow, right? I am taking them now and they seem fine. By the way, even though Ranbaxy is an Indian company, the minocycline that they sell in the U.S. is made in New Jersey.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

vinny
    Participant

Yes Philc, they are an elongated yellow tablet. I started them Tuesday and have been able to exercise every day this week. Most weeks in the past I had not been able to exercise more than a couple days. Over the last few months I have been getting Minocycline tablets directly from India, but got a different company each time: Ranbaxy, Cipla, and Ipca Labs. The Ranbaxy round tablets worked the best of those 3. I am so glad to be getting something that works again since I was in a downward spiral with Teva and Watson powder filled capsules. Hopefully I will be able to get Ranbaxy caplet long term and I can get off Prednisone and Methotrexate. I used only daily Minocycline from 2008 until 2012 when I was switched to Teva capsules which did not work at any dose amount.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Vinny,
    @vinny wrote:

I am so glad to be getting something that works again since I was in a downward spiral with Teva and Watson powder filled capsules.

I won’t accept either of those generics. I don’t think the problem is the potency, though, I think it has to do with the “inert” ingredients. I suspect the culprit is one or more of the synthetic dyes. About four hours after taking a 100 mg capsule of Teva minocycline I feel like I have a lump in my throat, and if I try to swallow some large capsules they don’t go down as easily as they normally would. That does not happen with Ranbaxy capsules, Ranbaxy tablets, or Par tablets, none of which contain synthetic dyes. To be honest, I have never tried Watson mino, mainly because it is made in India, and I have no intention of ever trying it since, like Teva mino, it contains a bunch of synthetic dyes.

Vinny, I recommend calling the pharmacy every time you want to have your prescription filled or refilled and asking them which generic they intend to use to fill your prescription. If it’s not one of the generics that you’ve had good results with in the past, I would ask them what other generics are available. They can usually order a different generic if one of the ones you like is not in stock. By the way, people doing this who pay for the entire cost of their prescriptions themselves should also ask about the price because different generics can vary in price, sometimes by a lot.

For any Canadians reading this, I thought I should mention that the Teva-Minocycline sold in Canada is not the same thing as the Teva minocycline sold in the U.S.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Babylove
    Participant

Hi guys,
    So can you explain in laymans terms for someone like me who is still learning, which mino is the best? After I read your postings on this, I looked at my bottles, and I have 3 different ones….ranbaxy, tevau, and Watson. I am taking each night from whichever bottle I grab….is that maybe why I am not getting better. Should I stick with only one brand? Thank you for your input, i never even realized to look at who the manufacturer was, or that I should even care. I know that probably sounds crazy, but…..

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @Babylove wrote:

So can you explain in laymans terms for someone like me who is still learning, which mino is the best?

I don’t believe that there is such a thing. Because of individual variability, what works well for one person may not work well for another. Having said that, I think that avoiding synthetic dyes (if possible) is a good idea, which is why I will accept only a few kinds of generic minocycline — Par tablets, Ranbaxy capsules, and Ranbaxy tablets.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.