Home Forums General Discussion RA – What dietary factors have helped?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    bsnyder
    Participant

Hi all, I have decided to start AP in earnest, really sticking with the mino, trying to improve my diet, etc. For those of you who are having success, what diets, supplements, lifestyle factors seem to have helped the most? I want to give the AP the best chance for success and that info would help.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi
    Different things seem to be indicated for different people – sensitivities can be individualised. You can see from my sig line what things I have eliminated from my diet. The one that seems to have the most effect on Leaky Gut (which many believe is something that all people with chronic disease have) is gluten. And you need to eliminate it completely (lots of hidden gluten in food, as it’s the world’s most widely used binding agent) and do so for 12 weeks to notice the difference. Others are dairy, sulfites (bad for everyone) and high amounts of it are found in all preserved meats and dried fruits (unless they are air dried) and for some people nightshades. Might be worth having personalised food sensitivity testing (that’s what I did) by someone who knows what they are doing. If not possible to do this and if it were me, I’d definitely eliminate gluten and lower/eliminate sugar and start to eat a fresh-only diet (i.e. throw out the packets)

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

One day in January when I felt really bad I started my diet without any sugar, gluten free and no dairy. That time I didn’t take any antibiotics yet. After one month I felt better. Somehow I had more energy and less pain. Until now I am on the same diet and I don’t really know which elimination really helped. Maybe I should try to test it by adding certain products, but I am scared to lose what I have gained. What I know potatoes are not good for me /I love them/
    Linda L.

scingram
    Participant

@lynnie_sydney wrote:

Might be worth having personalised food sensitivity testing (that’s what I did) by someone who knows what they are doing.

(Hi! I’m new here, so please forgive me if I make errors.) I just had a food sensitivity test done and my question is, in attempting to heal the gut, do you cut out just what you test sensitive to? Or do you cut out the usual culprits (gluten, processed sugar, etc) as well as whatever you are sensitive to?

prioris
    Participant

I found pasteurized milk the main cause of my RA. Dairy is quite a common offender. Probably because it feeds the offending microbe.

I haven’t tried raw milk yet. I drink almond milk now. I plan on starting goat milk kefir when the folks from the farm come back. I am going to try to make my gut healthier.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.