Home Forums General Discussion Question about hives

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

A friend's 1 year old was on ampicillin for 8 days for an ear infection and on the 8th day got hives.  Anyone else ever had a delayed reaction to an antibiotic?

Trudi
    Participant

My bulls-eye Lyme rash surfaced along with petechiea after about two weeks into minocycline.  My doctor said antibiotics will often bring to the surface an underlying ailment.  The petechiea was a sign (according to my research on the Internet) of an overabundance of bacteria.  No arguement there.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Trudi-

Thanks for your reply.

Jan

reesak
    Participant

Hi Jan Lucinda – I do medical transcription for a living, so I have seen many delayed reactions to antibiotics in my work.  Usually the reaction does not take place until the course of antibiotics is almost finished, so with a 10-day course 8 days would be about the time the reaction would take place. 

ReesaK

motherbear
    Participant

Hi there,

Yep , you can have a delayed reaction to antibiotics.  My son has a 7-9 day delay if he is allergic to one as we had found out recently when on a course of sulphonamides(trimethoprim)                                                                                                             He also has a very delayed reaction with penicillins, always coming out in hives.

Caroline.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Question about hives’ is closed to new replies.