Home Forums General Discussion Question about Dairy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

From what I understand, you cannot take minocin within 2 hours of dairy? I take a whey protein shake twice a day, it is 94% lactose-free. Is this OK to take within the 2 hours, or no?

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Redrock – it is minerals which bind with the minocin and hence it's the calcium in dairy that is the issue. Lactose (a sugar) and casein (a protein) are what are often culprits in allergy/intolerance issues. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

redrock
    Participant

I don't know whether there is any calcium in the whey protein shake.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

redrock – most of them that I have looked at do have calcium and possibly calcium added. Here's a link to one site. If it was me, I would err on the side of not taking within 2 hours of my mino. Lynnie http://www.wheyoflife.org/news/Calcium.pdf

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

[user=2547]redrock[/user] wrote:

I don't know whether there is any calcium in the whey protein shake.

Is there a label with nutritional info on it? If so, is calcium, magnesium, or iron listed?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

Yes, unfortunately it does. This is going to be harder than I thought. It also turns out my Quaker instant oatmeal has 10% calcium. I'm not sure how I'm going to get two 4-hour periods a day with no calcium, it seems it's in a lot of foods. And I'm  a vegetarian so my options are already limited.

PhilC
    Participant

You should buy 100% rolled oats instead of instant oatmeal. Your instant oatmeal probably has added calcium because I looked at a container of regular oatmeal and on the label is listed “Calcium 0%”. It does contain a small amount of iron, but I wouldn't worry about that. What would concern me is added calcium or iron (and some other minerals) because they are almost always in a form that would be available to bind with the minocycline.

By the way, I take my doxycycline with rice. I use half a cup of white rice and thoroughly rinse it before cooking. Rice sold in the U.S. is fortified with iron, so I rinse the rice to get rid of the added iron.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

redrock
    Participant

OK I have a plan. Get up at 6:30 and instantly down a Minocin with my morning coffee (non-dairy creamer only). Then breakfast at 8:30 and dairy is no problem. Then a protein shake. Lunch no problem. then another protein shake, finished by 4 p.m. Second minocin capsule at 6 p.m. and dinner at 8. Then a probiotic before bed with my LDN. Hopefully this will work!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Question about Dairy’ is closed to new replies.