Home Forums General Discussion Professor Alan Ebringer and RA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DragonSlayer
    Participant

For those interested in other potential causes of RA, I asked Professor Ebringer to convert several of his papers to Adobe Acrobat format.  He sent these to me earlier today, and called to make certain I had received them.  I will attempt to make them available online, but I can email this first one, and several others to people who send a request to me.  I will wait until I have several requests and then do a group mailing; please let me know whether you would like your email address kept secret (Bcc).

The most recent paper is entitled Rheumatoid arthritis is linked to Proteus?the evidence by Taha Rashid and Alan Ebringer
    Received: 1 November 2006 / Accepted: 7 November 2006 / Published online: 6 January 2007
    # Clinical Rheumatology 2007

Abstract Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic inflammatory arthritic and potentially disabling condition, mainly affecting women of middle age and having characteristic clinical features. Various microbial agents were implicated in the causation of RA. Extensive literature based on the results of various genetic, microbiological, molecular, and immunological studies carried out by independent research groups supports the role of Proteus mirabilis bacteria in the etiopathogenesis of RA. New diagnostic markers and criteria and the use of a novel therapeutic protocol in the form of antibiotic and dietary measures are suggested to be used together with current treatments in the management of RA. Prospective longitudinal studies with the use of antimicrobial measures in patients with RA are required to establish the therapeutic benefit of this microbe?disease association.

Another paper

Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease triggered by Proteus urinary tract infection same authors

Abstract Rheumatoid arthritis (RA) is a chronic and disabling polyarthritic disease, which affects mainly women in middle and old age.  Extensive evidence based on the results of various microbial, immunological and molecular studies from different parts of the world, shows that a strong link exists between Proteus mirabilis microbes and RA. We propose that sub-clinical Proteus urinary tract infections are the main triggering factors and that the presence of molecular mimicry and cross-reactivity between these bacteria and RA-targeted tissue antigens assists in the perpetuation of the disease process through production of cytopathic auto-antibodies.  Patients with RA especially during the early stages of the disease could benefit from Proteus anti-bacterial measures involving the use of antibiotics, vegetarian diets and high intake of water and fruit juices such as cranberry juice in addition to the currently employed treatments.

[/color][font=”arial,sans-serif”]http%;”>

Regards to all,
    John
    [/size][/font]

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your findings! I've come across the link between RA and proteus mirabilis before – may have even been Ebringer's work as his name is very familiar – and it's certainly very intriguing. What other possible infectious links has he found?

I'd be interested in this info, if you would kindly put me on your mailing list. I'll pm you my email address. Thanks!   

Peace, Maz

Jennhere
    Participant

Are you still on the diet?  Do you restrict all starches or is it the breads, mainly? 

Jenn

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Jenn:

I regret that the diet is a lifelong committment, but don't regret finding out about it even when I was then a vegetarian which is the wrong diet for anyone with AS–perhaps unlike RA.

It is the form of the starch that is as important as the fact:  Highly refined (flour products) or very soluble (corn and potatoes) starches are much worse than natural things like well-washed rice.  After so many years, I can eat a bit of rice on occasion, but certainly not fried rice–anything fried is also very bad.  Also, the germ that causes AS (Klebsiella pneumoniae) also ferments lactose, so when I eat too much dairy I can also develop symptoms.  Even nectarines, if not fully ripened when picked, can be dangerously starchy, so I test many foods (especially restaurant dressings) with iodine to indicate whether or not they are safe.

Recently, I got sloppy with the diet and that happened–I developed familiar hip bursitis and now I am eating nothing at all; it is day 8 of a possible 16 so I'm halfway there.  The bursitis relented on day 5 of the fast, so I'm feeling pretty good and my hypertension is also totally under control–rock solid 120/80 bp from pre-fast 170/95 on average.  Another reason to continue the fast.  I wondered whether the many years of taking NSAIDs caused the HT because it certainly was not due to eating meat…

AS is the curse of legions–many demons to afflict us with diverse pains, and although Ebringer was not the first to discover the starch-excluding diet for this, he had the scientific proofs for support, and his work should be much more accepted and respected than at present.  It was his studies in AS that caused him to investigate RA; he needed an accurate method to differentiate between the two conditions in their early stages.

HEALTH,
    John

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hey, Maz:

I received your email.  Ebringer and his group have not found any other agent that they can implicate in RA, and I wonder at this because of Dr. Brown's great work but I have come to believe that once we are a home for one germ, there are many others who invite themselves, and in the case of candidiasis this is a certainty–you know it is caused by a common fungus that we all possess, but if it begins to grow out of control so do other life forms that go where they do not otherwise belong and every germ brings along several viruses (some are macrophages to control the germ and others actually support the germ) and who knows what they are doing to us?

My orientation is to evict them all and start over!

The other germs do not have an identified molecular mimicry mechanism to explain tissue damage, but Proteus is quite specific to hyaline tissues and certain other Osp (Outer surface protein)-rich collagen types in people with the HLA DR1, DR4 genetics.

It is unfortunate that we could not clone Ebringer–he was focused on AS and did not have time (or funding) to research RA enough to develop a proper database of people who have had successful outcomes based upon the therapies suggested.  Just one person is an 'anecdote' but I hope each person now with RA can become anecdotes!

Best Regards,
    John

edit for clarity

DragonSlayer
    Participant

BUMB!

Last call for a while; going to be gone.

Regards,
    John

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=200]DragonSlayer[/user] wrote:

My orientation is to evict them all and start over!

Hi John…I'm with you there!

Sorry I must have missed this post yesterday.

Very interesting that Ebringer couldn't find another pathogen to implicate in RA. It is strange, isn't it, considering Brown was able to culture mycoplasma from the joint. Perhaps, as you say, it's more about the pathogen load and what triggers what and all these organisms have some kind of evolved ability to work in concert.

Thanks, again. You've been a wealth of information and hope you have a good trip and hope you're doing well!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘ Professor Alan Ebringer and RA’ is closed to new replies.