Home Forums General Discussion Probiotic

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    RLKINNETT
    Participant

Has anyone tried Bio-Kult? Is there a better or more affordable and still effective probiotic that you recommend?

richie
    Participant

Hi I really dont know if these overpriced fancy probiotics are necessary –To my knowledge a probiotic serves one major purpose to replace good bacteria killed by the antibiotic –I see all kinds of claims about helping the immune system etc etc –and guess what – they come with a fancy price tag –Since 1999 I have been taking 200 mg of minocin the brand along with PB8 a probiotic daily –I pay about 9–10 for a bottle of 120 —as the years went on
    I increased the dose -now I take 10 capsules daily all at once –never a problem –never a side effect and never any fungus issues —
    Richie

Maz
    Keymaster

The following site claims to have studied various probiotic brands and has ranked them. However always worth noting that everyone’s gut is unique so what works for one person may not for another due to probiotic strains, fillers, what the capsule composition, etc. 😉

https://labdoor.com/rankings/probiotics

I usually use a few brands, rotating and mixing them up….PB8 veggie caps (green lid) for maintenance and occasionally using VSL #3 and Theralac.

kaz
    Participant

Hi!
    I haven’t tried bio-kult but I find a noticeable difference in my energy and gut health when I eat raw fermented cabbage from the health food store. I have a large scoop or two of cabbage per day and maybe this can be an affordable option for you too. In Canada where I am, it’s about $8 for a jar of something similar to this

> http://www.beaglebayorganics.com/products/

Some people can it themselves too

> http://healthybliss.net/how-to-make-raw-food-fermented-vegan-cabbage-sauerkraut-at-home/

RLKINNETT
    Participant

I have been taking PB8 and it seems to be working good.

I have noticed in the last week that I always feel full after a meal. It seems like it takes forever for me to digest even a small meal. Last night I was up until 5 a.m. vomiting.

Anyone have problems like this? I’m not the weak constitution type and usually a Tbs of apple cider vinegar can settle an upset stomach for me. I’m wondering if the probiotic isn’t working for me.

Linda L
    Participant

Rlkinnett,
    Do you eat gluten?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

RLKINNETT
    Participant

Very, very little gluten.

I have been following the autoimmune paleo diet since I started minocycline.

I have green tea with honey in the morning and water all day. If I want a snack, I may drink 100% fruit juice w/ no added sugar.

I’m starting to feel a little bit better and haven’t vomited again, but it seems to take a long time for food to digest. I just always feel very full.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi RL;
    I swear by GNC’s digestive enzymes.A big bottle of 240 capsules is only 30 something $.Enzymes make you digest much faster so if you have slow motility they take care of that problem.They worked so well for me that within a few weeks I did not have any more Gerd

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Very, very little gluten.

RLKINNETT If you have a sensitivity to gluten (and many people with chronic diseases do, it doesn’t have to be full-on celiac) then even a little will affect your gut. To challenge this, you need to cut out ALL gluten (and there is hidden gluten in the most surprising of foods, because it is the world’s cheapest binding agent, so you need to be vigilant) for about 12 weeks because of the half life lingering in the body. You can also get tested for gluten sensitivity. Don’t just have the usual medical tests for celiac because they will tell you about your genetics but won’t tell you about sensitivity.

Something is obviously upsetting your digestive system. And it is extremely unlikely that it will be the probiotic – unless you are taking one with dairy (if you are sensitive to dairy) and/or gluten in it (if you are sensitive to gluten).

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Linda L
    Participant

Lab here told me that in order to test gluten sensitivity you need to be at least three months off any diet. Is it true?
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

A Friend
    Participant

@RLKINNETT wrote:

I have been taking PB8 and it seems to be working good.

I have noticed in the last week that I always feel full after a meal. It seems like it takes forever for me to digest even a small meal. Last night I was up until 5 a.m. vomiting.

Anyone have problems like this? I’m not the weak constitution type and usually a Tbs of apple cider vinegar can settle an upset stomach for me. I’m wondering if the probiotic isn’t working for me.

Hello RL,

Edit… added —
    HCL article found on Rheumatic.org — http://www.rheumatic.org/hcl.htm [Quite long; worth reading.AF]

Just jumping in here, wondering if you are aware of HCL (hydrochloric acid) capsules that are used by many with difficulty with digestion, especially Type A. An important paper/link was found a number of years ago on Rheumatic.org and may be found in a past post here. I’ll try to locate the link to it (again… a VERY important paper). In essence, it stressed that if you are a person with Blood Type A (known to be low in digestive ability… and hydrochloric acid) then it was recommended to take a HCL supplement during meals that contain protein, as this can help us to break down/digest and utilize the protein foods better.

The article accompanying this information found on Rheumatic.org was/is very impressive and dramatic. I will see if I can do a search and find it in our old messages above. If not, I will go to Rheumatic.org and see if I can find the link again. Again, the information is very impressive and dramatic with historical research. Since that time (since I am Blood Type A, I keep a large bottle of HCL capsules and take one or two with any meal containing meat protein, or even other proteins when consumed in larger quantities. The brand I purchase is just from my health store, and is Solaray, and cost is very inexpensive. My spouse is a Blood Type O that supposedly does well with meat, but he now includes HCL with his meat meals since he has had some serious health challenges the past year or two.

Best to you,
    AF

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.