Home Forums General Discussion Possible negative impact of proposed antibiotic stewardship rules

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

Here’s some recent news I thought I’d pass along:

“New proposed rules by the Centers for Medicare Medicaid Services (CMS) Medicare and Medicaid Programs could have a big impact on Lyme patients. The Hospital and Critical Access Hospital Changes to Promote Innovation, Flexibility, and Improvement in Patient Care rules would establish a formal antibiotic stewardship program for hospitals The comment period for the proposed rule just recently closed. LymeDisease.org submitted comments on behalf of patients…”

For the whole article, see:
    LYMEPOLICYWONK: LymeDisease.org Comments on Proposed Antibiotic Stewardship Rules

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Hi from what I could see this pertains to hospitals only -not to individual doctors –I dont think there is an issue here –

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Things are not so rosy this side of the border.Since the gov. pays our doctors most of them have stopped doing AP or Lyme treatments.I know my wonderful doctor is not doing it anymore since she was hauled into court because one of her SD patients died.We talked about it and she told me that the patient was in terrible shape by the time she saw her.Thought she could help but patient would not make any diatery changes to help and eventually died.If you saw Under our Skin part 2 you would have noticed that they said there is not one LLMD left here.I am now on my own and having to just about wring the neck of my primary doc.have a prescription for mino for one year but I know I need a couple other antibiotics as it looks like Babesiosis is back and causing a bad case of vasculitis.One week on 25MG pred and it has not made a difference so I am getting quite scared.I know that Dr MC S lives near Montreal but practices in Platsburg,just across the border but $$$$ is out of the question for now.
    http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-you/health/the-truth-about-lyme-disease/

Maz
    Keymaster

Lynne, I was just told about a new alternative clinic in Toronto that is treating Lyme. The gent who told me about the clinic was also a patient of Dr. A. and troubled that she can no longer supply abx therapy. He thinks the new clinic is using abx but you’d need to verify.if you want their deets, let me know.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Yes Maz,please send the info.The only thing I know for sure is that DR.A is using holistic therapy and lots of probiotics.God,we can’t even get a fecal transplant as this therapy is called a “drug” and not approved.That was near the end of one of the video’s we saw last year but don’t remember if it was about Lyme or just gut issues due to antibiotics

Maz
    Keymaster

PM sent, Lynne….fingers crossed for you.

Linda L
    Participant

Why are doing it? ABX are being sold over the counter in Ukraine. It should be a good business for manufacturers as well. They take so much money for Mino in US.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Calida
    Participant

Hi Linda,

I think the main reason is the potential for antibiotic resistance in the general population due the development of “super bugs”. If the pharmaceutical companies were greater in number and more competitive, not greedy (my opinion ;)) behemoth monopolies accountable only to investors, more money would be invested in research and development. As one pharmaceutical CEO said, they’re not in the business of saving lives, they’re in it to make money. It would be easy enough to develop new antibiotics to stay ahead of the super bugs but they find repackaging older drugs (Minocin, epi pens, AIDS meds) and jacking up the price 1,000% more profitable.

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Linda L
    Participant

I agree. They tell us about antibiotic resistance, but whenever I really needed an antibiotic it helped me and so my relatives and friends. Antibiotics are generally not expensive /exl. Mino is US/, so it is much more profitable for big pharma companies to push biologics and similar
    medications.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.