Home Forums General Discussion Please recommend the best probiotic

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    redrock
    Participant

I am taking the brand PB 8, I take 2 a day and it says its 14 billion CFUs. But I heard I need many more billion than that. I don't want to do overkill, also I don't necessarily have the funds for the really expensive ones but I want to make sure I am getting enough.

tbird2340
    Participant

My LLMD suggested that I get Culturelle (http://www.culturelle.com/). I currently take 2 a night but not sure if that's enough.. I never do know how much to take..

I get it from Amazon but they do sell it at Wal Mart, Target, Giant Eagle, etc..

Here's a blob from their site:

NOT ALL PROBIOTICS ARE CREATED EQUAL Lactobacillus acidophilus. Lactobacillus bulgaricus. Bifidobacterium bifidum ? they all have big names, but not all probiotic strains have big impact. Culturelle is the only all-natural supplement to feature Lactobacillus GG, the most clinically studied probiotic and one of the strongest at surviving those good-bacteria-gobbling stomach acids and sticking in the intestinal tract.

THE SKINNY ON YOGURT Most yogurts are packaged with 1 billion live good cells ? far less than the 10 billion in each capsule of Culturelle. Our probiotic strain, Lactobacillus GG, has also been proven to better stick and multiply in the digestive tract.

DON?T BELIEVE THE PACKAGING Many brands list the number of live cells at time of manufacture, NOT the number at the time of use. Many products are also not manufactured or packaged in ways that insure you will receive any live bacteria when you take it. Compare that to Culturelle, which guarantees at least 10 billion live cells at the time of use! In fact, each of our capsules is individually double-foil-protected and packed in such a way to keep light, moisture, heat and air out to assure stability and maximum potency.

PhilC
    Participant

Although PB8 seems popular, it's not a probiotic that I would buy. When I was researching probiotics I looked at quite a few, including PB 8. On the other hand, I noticed that PB 8 is dairy-free and doesn't contain any other common allergens. That could be an important advantage for some people.

I like Enzymatic Therapy Acidophilus Pearls and Natrol Probiotic Acidophilus BioBeads. I alternate between those two depending on which is cheaper. If the price is the same I prefer the BioBeads. Lately I've been buying the Enzymatic Therapy product, but I recently noticed that BioBeads have been on sale at a couple of places.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi

I've just come across Kefir, check it out! Google Kevir. There's lots of info.

all the best

Rosemary

mschmidt
    Participant

I take 4-6 PB8 (vegetarian) capsules daily, as well as 1 Complete Probiotics from Dr. Mercola (66 billion per 1 capsule, and it doesn't need to be refrigerated).  I used to spend $200/mo on probiotics but, found that combining these 2 works better for me, and is MUCH more cost effective, as PB8 is about $12/bottle on vitacost.com, and I order a 3 month supply of Complete Probiotics from mercola.com on autoship.  When I do my 5 days of iv's, I also add saccaromyces boullardii strain twice daily for the duration of the iv's.  (helps ward off c. difficil)

I used to use Culturelle, Florastor, and Metagenics Ulta Mega IB.

Maria

marypart
    Participant

Theralac is good.  (NOT Threelac.)

Also, Klaire Lab's  Saccharamycees Boulardi– especially for IBS or preventing yeast when on antibiotics.

louris
    Participant

I use PB8 (4 per day) and one Culturelle in the afternoon, and one VSL#3 capsule (around 110 billion bacteria per capsule as the serving size of two contains 225 billion bacteria) at night near bed time.  VSL#3 will ship no charge second day when you order off there website.  Local pharmacies or groceries will order it for you but will also mark it up.

richie
    Participant

Hi–everyone seems to have a favorite probiotic —-mine is PB8 —-doesnt need refrigeration —in 11 years of 200 mg daily of minocin have never had any gut issues or yeast issues —thats the main criteria —-I take 10 daily —
    richie

redrock
    Participant

Is there a reason for taking massive doses if you aren't having a problem? I've been on minocin a few weeks and so far no problems. So I take 2 PB8 a day. Can't really afford to be taking huge amounts.

richie
    Participant

Hi–Once a problem arises the probiotic will not help it –the objective is to prevent any problem from arising —as the years went on I raised the dose of probiotic –I have been taking 10 a day for about 6 years or so -I take 200 mg daily of minocin compared to 100 mg every other day that you take -my dose is about 3–4 larger than yours therefore the greater need for a larger dose of probiotic –AS to cost —-a bottle of 120 capsules of PB8 costs about 11.50 –that lasts 12 days –so my cost is $ 1.00 a day —
    richie

redrock
    Participant

No I take a total of 200 mg minocin every other day which is half of what you take. I'll consider raising my probiotic dose.

Parisa
    Participant

My husband took VSL#3 when he was on heavy antibiotics.  He also drank kefir and rotated  other probiotics in.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘ Please recommend the best probiotic’ is closed to new replies.