Home Forums General Discussion Okay, What's the consensus on the Swine Flu vaccine?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Nickie_M
    Participant

No thanks.  I'm also going to pass.  I've only had “1” flu vaccine in my life and I got crazy, crazy sick from it.  With my obvious compromised immune system, who knows what could happen this time?? 

Nickie

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

Lynnie,

Kudos! You are a veritable fountain of information!

I haven't seen in these articles, or others, that the H1N1 vaccine is a live virus. Is it an established fact that the H1N1 vaccine is a live virus?

Do I read correctly that Australia is reusing needles and that is the cause of the transfer of bacteria infections?

If most people who die from this do so because of a bacterial infection, does that put us at a greater risk of dying from the disease if we do not get the vaccine?

My sons are going to school at Granite Bay High School which had 26 band members with H1N1 the first week of school. The younger son had four H1N1 positive in his English class. I picked him up yesterday morning with flu symptoms, but they have not developed beyond G-I tract. The nurse said to watch for congestion.

Everyone is mentioning fever, but Bill told me that the head of our University Medical Center told him they are seeing many cases of H1N1 without fever. She also said that when this flu hits you it hits harder than any flu you've ever had — you know you've got something serious. Reminds me of that whooping cough I got four years ago — last thing I need is another round like that one!

These are my thoughts. I still haven't decided what to.

richie
    Participant

Hi

THe swine flu vaccine is just like any other flu vaccine –every vaccine is developed based on forecasts for the upcoming flu season –soooo since I always get a flu vaccine yearly -I will most definitely get the swine flu vaccine —if one read the papers they would see that the vast majority of previous deaths in the US  from swine flu occured with folks who had underlying health issues –to me its a very easy decision !!!!

richie

linda
    Participant

I'm not condoning taking the vaccine or saying don't take it, but for those of us on biologics, it is safe, as far as it being a live or dead virus used in the vaccine. It's not a live vaccine, like the shingles vaccine. I specifically asked Dr. wonderful about it b/c he said he wanted me to have it. I told him that I thought we were not supposed to get live vaccines, and he said not to worry, it's not live. But I'm still not sold on it's safety for anyone yet, the whole Guillame-Barre (sp?) risk is very worrisome.

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

I got my first one last year. I understand that they are usually not live virus, although the nasal vaccine is a live virus.

We've had so many cases locally, that I'm very concerned.

Thanks for your input.

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

I was told not to get a shingles vaccine because that is a live virus. I am concerned about that one, because I had serious complications with chickenpox as a child — encephilitis. I'm not as worried about the pneumonia shot, either.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Margaret

Do I read correctly that Australia is reusing needles and that is the cause of the transfer of bacteria infections?

No that is not correct. The recent discussion about the vaccine is that it has to be delivered in two parts from multi-dose vials. The same needles should not (obviously) be used and there was some concern about control of this so that it didnt happen and set up conditions for blood-borne infections – it was primarily a doctors' insurance coverage issue. The vaccine is not even out there yet, so has nothing to do with any people who have had swine flu and secondary bacterial infections to date. The secondary bacterial infections are thought to have been caused by the relatively benign swine flu weakening the body and setting it up for secondary bacterial infections – which are what has caused the deaths.

Richie, the early cases and deaths were in people with underlying health issues. That is no longer the case. Some of the more recent deaths in Australia have been in healthy young people in their 20's.  However, so far, swine flu-related deaths are well under the annual average for any kind of flu. 

This is an extract from a Q&A regarding the H1N1 vaccine from CSL:

The first step in making the influenza vaccine is preparing a ?seed? virus. This is a safe form of the influenza virus, which can be grown in hens? eggs to produce the vaccine.  Preparation of the seed takes around 3-4 weeks following receipt of a potential candidate virus from international health bodies such as the World Health Organization (WHO) or the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Vaccine manufacture involves inoculating the virus into hens? eggs, then extracting the virus to be purified and inactivated before formulating it into a vaccine. On average, 1 or 2 eggs are needed to make one dose of vaccine.

http://www.csl.com.au/s1/cs/auhq/1236380109044/content/1236380109063/content.htm

My understanding is that the concern by world-wide health authorities is not about the current strain of Swine Flu, but the potential for a mutated form of it which would have far more serious implications. So far, the virus has not mutated. Lynnie 

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Susan LymeRA
    Participant
    ideamktg
    Keymaster

In our many long years we have had every vaccine shot offered (I am 78 and he is 80), and never have had any reactions.  I had the shingles vaccine this month, and no problem.  However, I understand the concern out there with the swine vaccine.  It's just that I would hate to be the one who gave the swine flu to others, or even shingles to someone who never had chicken pox, so guess we will have the shot (or shots) for that reason alone, and take our chances.

My primary doctor said that she could not wait until she is 61 so she could have the shingles vaccine because she has seen so many suffer with the shingles. (My Medicare Rx plan will reimburse me the $226.00.)  If they don't, what I should have done is give the prescription to the druggist, pick up the vaccine in a refrigerated box (it is frozen), and take it to the doctor's office for them to administer.  Then it would have all been paid for in the beginning.

Nancy

Margaret Mueller
    Participant

Thank you, Nancy. I think your experience is a very valuable one, and I am impressed that you went ahead and did the shingles vaccine. Thanks again.

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Nancy,

Not having an immediate reaction does not mean the vaccine did you no harm.  After all, you do have some pretty serious A.I. disorders and who knows how much vaccines may have contributed to your overall toxic burden?

Susan

SandiS
    Participant

I read a report from the CDC that said they had sent 600 letters to nureologists telling them to expect a substantial increase in nureological conditions including Guillan-Barr from the Swine Flu vacine.  They do not want the general public to have this imformation. Fortunately , my doctor believes in informed consent. 

Also Nancy, glad the shingles vacine worked for you.  However, you can not give shingles to someone else.  It is  from your own chicken pox bug  remaining dorminant in your body until something else sets it off. 

Sandi

ideamktg
    Keymaster

Thanks Sandi, that is something to burst my bubble of confidence.  I was not advocating , I was just putting in my two cents as one having a positive experience with vaccines; to stir the pot, I guess.  One's experience isn't always a valid experience for others.

Also, for what it means, my Dept of Health and Human Services Center for Disease Control and Prevention  flyer about Shingles reads, “You can't catch shingles from another person with shingles.  However, a person who has never had chickenpox (or chickenpox vaccine) could get chickenpox from someone with shingles.  This is not very common.”  So, again, I am wrong.  I definitely read that wrong.  I thought it said one could get shingles.  One has to be so careful not to spread bad information of which I am guilty.

Nancy

SandiS
    Participant

I am also not advocating one way or the other, just believe in informed consent. Both my daughters  ( 18 and 21) are living on college campuses so I am very concerned for them. They both have issues , one with migrains and the other a history of epilepsy so they will not be getting the swine flu vacine.  They will however get the vacine for regular flu since it does not seem to have the same problems.  I knew about  shingles because my girls were just over their bout with chicken pox when we traveled to visit family and I was concerned about elderly family members. The doctor explained the relationship and since all had had chicken pox in their own history , their was no danger visiting.

Sandi

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Nancy,

It is all good.  Please don't hesitate to share your two cents worth.  By sharing, we all benefit.  This website is a Godsend!

Also, I knew that you can give chicken pox to anyone who hasn't had it whenever your shingles is active.  So, I just thought that was what you meant. 

I grew leery of vaccines when I owned a horse who would always get sick after each vaccination with the very thing we were trying to vaccinate against.  I got tired of paying for shots and then paying to heal him.  I finally stopped vaccinating him and said I will just wait until he catches the illness on his own and then treat.  He never got sick from anything after I stopped the shots.

Later on, I was a dog groomer at a local vet clinic and I heard that the vaccines we give dogs actually remain in their system for about 3 yrs.  We are encouraged to vaccinate twice annually.  I asked the vet techs how often they vaccinate their own dogs and they said every 3 yrs.  I asked the vet and he gave the same answer.  I said “why do you have your clients vaccinate every 6 mths?”  He grinned, shrugged his shoulders and said “I have to make a living.”

This started my move away from so many vaccinations.  It was the first time I began to question what doctors tell me.

Today, after contracting lyme induced RA and then testing positive for so many toxins, I am very very careful about what I put in and on my body.  I know we can't avoid everything but I sure am avoiding what I can.

Susan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘ Okay, What's the consensus on the Swine Flu vaccine?’ is closed to new replies.