Home Forums General Discussion Okay, What's the consensus on the Swine Flu vaccine?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Tiff
    Participant

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask what people are doing about the swine flu vaccine.  Also, if you are just on AP is it a different answer from if you are on immune suppressing meds?

I'm back on AP (off MP), and I am taking 100mg Mino daily and 250mg Zith every 10 days.  I am also contemplating Orencia per docs suggestion.  I wonder how these approaches differ in how they work with or without the vaccine.  I know you are not supposed to take live bacteria on some meds, but I don't think this is a live vaccine, is it?  None of my docs have said anything about it.

What are you all hearing before I head out and do more research?

sierrra
    Participant

Right now there is not a vaccine available for H1N1 (formerly called swine flu). If one becomes available in time for the expected fall outbreak, supplies would be available to those most at risk: pregnant women and young people.

Sierra

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Tiff, Sierra – the vaccine will be rolled out here first and then most likely distributed worldwide. Here are a couple of links to current news stories re its roll out, the 2nd citing some concerns about it.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1075067/Swine-flu-vaccine-on-the-way

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/08/20/2662321.htm

Incidentally, my AP Doc told me, at the first sign of influenza, to take 3 days straight of my abx and that would help stop the virus setting off problems with my joints. Another interesting point:100% of the swine-flu related deaths here have been caused by secondary bacterial infection. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

linda
    Participant

My rheumy really wants me to get the vaccine, but I don't know. Last time I got a flu shot my arm was painful for about 3 mths. My only thought was that it somehow caused the FMS to flare in that arm. I'm going to wait and see how bad this outbreak is first, but I'm washing my hands and using a ton of antibacterial hand gel in the mean time.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

NO WAY!  I will let others be the guinea pigs and if they all are o.k for a while then I will get it.I consider this vaccine much like a new car on the market…let someone else try it first to make sure it works
      Since this is a virus I will just “up” my dose of L-Lysine which is anti viral as well as being anti-biotic

Trudi
    Participant

My husband and I aren't planning on getting it, either.

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

Patti D
    Participant

I am a little leary of taking the vaccine as well. Just got some info on the vaccine that is being developed and they mentioned for 90 plus % immunity to the virus they are looking at a two part vaccine.
    What is reccommended is very good handwashing and staying home if you are sick.

Boy do I ever wish people would do these simple things. We all would be healthier.
    Patti

Kim
    Participant

No way, for me either.

kim

sierrra
    Participant

Because H1N1 has not been life threatening for my age group, I most likely will not get the vaccine if it becomes available to me. My only concern is that I work in a hospital and there is an ethical reason to have it. However, in my job, I have almost no contact with patients. The anti-virals, such as Tamiflu have been effective against H1N1, but must be taken early in the illness. I've seen estimates that 40% of us will get the H1N1 virus this fall if a vaccine is not available.

Sierra 

Donna RA
    Participant

No way.

Donna RA and Lyme

Rosey UK
    Participant

No not for me. When it's ready it won't have been around long enough to know the long term effects.  There not testing it on me! 

Acording to NRAS you have to stop ATNFs and demards if you develope swine flu. but prednisolone stay on them and if you feel ill the symptoms may be masked so if those taking preds feel poorly they have to see doctor.

Rosemary

Tiff
    Participant

Thanks all.  I think this one is a tough call.  I worry a bit about my daughter living in a college dorm.  Washing hands is not big on the priority, plus they share food and drink from each others cups.  Ugh!  Youth!

It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.  I appreciate the input!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Tiff,

My Enbrel literature says absolutely NO LIVE VACCINES while on this drug.  I am thinking Orencia is the same.

Lori just posted how her symptoms began after a tetenus shot and her doctor said the shot was probably the tipping point for her immune system burden.  No one knows ahead of time where their tipping point is.  Too many vaccines are being thrust (no pun intended) at us and their safety is not assured.

I am happy to have a legitimate excuse to avoid the vaccine.  I will not voluntarily take one under any condition.

The best defense is to eat healthy, exercise and rest and not get overstressed.  The last one is a tough order for college kids.  They feel invinceable and just always have more things to do than their schedule will allow.

I work with the public and have almost become compulsive in my handwashing.  I keep a spray bottle of colloidal silver (23 ppm) and will spray my nostrils after working with a customer who appears sick.

I am concerned about this flu season and hope they are over-reacting. 

BTW, Dr Blaylock (neurosurgeon turned nutritional health doctor) says Vit D fights infection best and it is suspected that flus occur more in fall and winter due to lack of sun exposure.

FWIW

Susan

Tiff
    Participant

Hi Susan,

I am not on Orencia yet, but they are ready to start me.  I am going to see a dematologist first because I have questions for him before I am willing to start.  It annoys me that they did not bring this up, but then they are very confident in these meds and assure me (both the rheumy and the local doc I have been seeing) that it is very safe.  The rheumy was very detailed about the patients he has, some of whom work in medical settings, describing the very few problems he has seen and assuring me they were rare and in patients with other complications.  But the flu did not come up.  Naturally all my own reading leaves me very leery about it, but I am at my wits end.

When you feel sick constantly there is no eating, sleeping, or exercizing right, and stress is just unavoidable.  I have to have some relief else I doubt I could fight anything off.   But I was not planning on getting the vaccine if it is even available.  For my daughter, I doubt it too, unless maybe there is an outbreak at her school and it becomes more worth the risk.  I'll bet it would be too late by then, but who knows for sure!

BTW, I am eating D foods and taking fish oil again for a couple of weeks now.  I don't notice any difference, which is fine because I would not like to think it was having immune suppression from it.  I just want a slow return to “normal function,” whatever that is!”

Thanks!

Susan LymeRA
    Participant

Tiff,

You are so right about constant pain causing stress and you have to do what you have to do.  I really trust my doctor.  I am taking Enbrel and 1/2 the normal dose and while on that, we have gotten the first negative babesia test, so it is possible to kill these buggers while holding back the immune response.  She has me on Mepron and Zithromax for the babesia.

Susan

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘ Okay, What's the consensus on the Swine Flu vaccine?’ is closed to new replies.