Home Forums General Discussion NSAID Withdrawal?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CurlyinNC
    Participant

Hi, Everyone. It’s been a while since I posted, but wanted to ask for input on my situation. I’ve been on minocycline therapy for almost 15 months. I’ve seen a good deal of improvement, but have continued to take my diclofenac once daily along with Plaquenil. I slowly ratcheted my mino up and was finally at 100 mg bid, MWF in November. At my last doctor’s visit this month, my inflammation markers were greatly improved, however we didn’t repeat the anti-CCP at that time.

Initially, I reduced my NSAIDS (diclofenac) to once a day instead of twice. I had no negative reactions and have continued on a once daily dose since August. Several times I tried to discontinue the evening dose, only to awaken the next day with much worse pain/stiffness.

This week in preparation for a medical test, I was required to discontinue all NSAIDS 3 days prior. As before, I awoke with much worse pain/stiffness. I’m now 3 days in, and I have had some improvement in feet and knees. My hands have improved some, but not as much as the other joints.

I feel as if I’ve been set back months. It makes no sense to me at all that I was able to reduce my NSAIDS to once daily with no repercussions, but am unable to completely stop without the terrible symptoms returning with force. I had just returned to recreational walking, so this is quite a change for me.

Is this par for the course for NSAID withdrawal, is this a flare? I almost feel as if I’m herxing, but I haven’t changed my dosage for some months now. Can discontinuing anti-inflammatories result in a herx?

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you ride it out or return to using NSAIDS? I’m inclined to ride it out, but don’t really know how long it could last. I would really appreciate input anyone can provide.

Karen

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Began abx treatment 12/2014.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Karen,

Suddenly stopping an NSAID can result in a rebound effect. It happened to me years ago when I was taking ibuprofen for a back injury.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Phil,

Do you recall how long it lasted? Did you just wait it out or did you go back on the ibuprofen and taper off? The thing with diclofenac is that it is enteric coated so you really can’t cut them to reduce a dose, and it doesn’t come in other denominations. Of course, in this case tapering off wasn’t an option.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? Thanks for your reply, Phil.

K.

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Began abx treatment 12/2014.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Karen,

I resumed taking the ibuprofen right away. I wasn’t trying to get off of the ibuprofen, I just did something stupid because I didn’t know any better.

You’ll probably need to resume taking diclofenac and keep taking it until you feel good again. When you want to taper off, you could switch to an NSAID that is available in a variety of doses, like ibuprofen.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

maz.aust
    Participant

Just a thought,

It was recommended to me to continue with 1 or 2 tablets of diclofenac daily if needed but definitely to take 1 as a preventative if I was going to do something that would affect my inflammation ie pruning in the garden or whatever, as long as I take the nexium I am ok with taking it daily.

I have come to the conclusion that I need it to keep me under control same with my AP meds, I need them to keep me under control so like insulin to a diabetic I need to continue taking what works for me

Good luck with your journey

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.