Home Forums General Discussion Not sure which generic or what I need to do…need help

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Spiffy1

I always call ahead of time to ask for Ranbaxy/Torrent minocyclene tablets. When I went to pick up my prescription I noticed it was PAR. Many people do well on PAR so I decided to give it a shot. I took my Monday night dose and my inner arm started itching with a rash. To be scientific I went ahead with the full dose on Wednesday. By that night I had a huge burning rash on my stomach. I called both companies and got the lists of inert ingredients. Some were the same but some were different. I called Walmart saying I wanted my old brand back. They said it is back logged and cannot be ordered. Their only other choice was PAR it seems. She looked in the back and said she had Torrent capsules. So I said I guess that is my only choice. Doctor wants me to skip Friday dose to clear my system and resume Monday. I am so afraid I will react again. When I have more time I will post the inactive ingredients of both and my latest lab results. Something in me feels like this is the beginning of the end with minocyclene. I feel like my like my immune system is going to see the new minocyclene and remember PAR. I called a smaller pharmacy. He could not get it either. He seemed to think there was not enough consumer interest in it. With the cost of the real deal, this statement surprises me. Thoughts? If you have a brand that is working for you…that is not PAR or Torrent please let me know what pharmacy you use. I guess I will have to give these capsules a try.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Spiffy1

By the way, I am not touting Ranbaxy as the best, but it happens to be one that my body does not react to. However, I also realize it might not be helping me either.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

I just posted today about my recent experience. When I started with AP..9 years ago I started with the Teva minocycline…then that was no longer available and went with the Watson (now known as Actavis and owned by Teva). Anyhow, the prior refill they gave me the Ranbaxy capsules and I went downhill really fast. After one pill back on the Actavis…I’m 95% better…note, I have been in “remission” on a maintenance dose for years. Anyhow, for me Actavis is what works best as is available….but that’s just me. I use Walgreens.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

Spiffy1

Just to say also…it was an allergic reaction…not a herx. I tend to be allergic to most antibiotics including penicillin, sulfa, and cephalosporins. Herxes do not happen that quickly.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Another thought…you may want to call around to lots of pharmacies including the small independent ones…even physically go in to see the pharmacist. It took me going in to see the pharmacist at Walgreen’s to explain my situation to be able to get my past brand back. She told me to have the doctor call in the script with “Actavis only” and voila…what was not available before at Walgreens suddenly became available…go figure. What I’m getting at is perhaps your doctor needs to call in and tell them you ***must*** have YOUR tried and true brand so that they are forced to magically source it.

Minocycline 100mg every other day with food...lots of food: Zydus brand. Celecoxib 200mg twice per day: Greenstone brand.

whaleharbor
    Keymaster

Just saw your post on the allergy issue…here’s where a really good and caring pharmacist would be beneficial…one that is good will spend their time researching the inert ingredients to help figure out where you can go next with another brand. My sister has a really good local independent pharmacist in her town that she is on first-name basis with that has helped her. They are invaluable. I know Richie has talked about the importance of these sorts of relationships. Perhaps going in…in person…during their slow time would help to have them help you make recommendations that you can then discuss with your doc…”IF” they are unable to source YOUR brand for whatever reason. Just don’t give up. You can do this. You will get through this.

Spiffy1

Thank you, Whaleharbor. I really hate to be making changes now because my daughter is graduating from high school in May. It is just not the best time to be rocking the apple cart. Thank you!

PhilC
    Participant

My guess is that you may be allergic to the povidone K29/32 or the polyethylene glycol 400 (PEG 400).

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

HI Minocin brand is back ordered at the manufacturer and generics seem in tight supply also —hopefully it will loosen up soon

PhilC
    Participant

It would be prudent to also avoid minocycline tablets made by Dr. Reddy’s. They also contain povidone, and their ingredients list is very similar to the ingredients list for Par minocycline tablets.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Spiffy1

Thank you for the heads up. I am not looking forward to these Torrent capsules. The odds are not in my favor. I asked my compounding pharmacist who does my LDN if she could compound minocyclene. She said she could and the only filler would be cellulose. Aetna does not cover compounding so it would cost maybe 100 to 150 a month. I can do this if I have to. But I guess I will try the capsules first.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.