Home Forums General Discussion Non-genetic Psoriatic Arthritis

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    vinny
    Participant

baltimore

For some reason the forum format would not allow me to response as a reply to your entry. Why didn't your doctor give you Minocycline which is more effective for psoriatic Arthritis if it is caused by an infection?  Are you taking Prednisone or nsaid's to lower your inflammatory barrier? If he will write a script for Minocycline and a good nsaid give it a further chance to work. I had almost immediate pain relief with 100mg twice daily Minocycline and weaned off Prednisone in  30 days. Doxycycline is not hte best chose for our disease.

vinny

Vinny – the Personal History and Progress section is for author's journal notes only and cannot receive replies from others. We have moved baltimore's post and your response to the General Discussion area which can generate responses. RBFV

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

linda
    Participant

vinny,

I could not respond to baltimore's post either, but I was able to PM her. How did you find out that minocyline is better for PsA than doxy? I have an appt next week with an AP doctor and was just curious. My old doctor in Az told me zithromax was best, but I have not seen improvement while on it, however, I can only tolerate once a week dosage. Is it just me, or are there more amd more new members with PsA or seronegative arthritis?

linda

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi guys,

My doc initially started me daily dosing of Doxy for PsA.  His opinion was that doxy or mino were very similar and he could have gone either way.  He went with the doxy based on a couple of the PsA testimonials I had printed from this site.  If I had said I wanted mino, he would have prescribed that instead.

At a subsequent appointment I asked him about pulsed vs. daily dosing.  He didn't see it as a big controversy, both had advantages and disadvantages and he had leaned toward daily dosing as it provided constant pressure on the bugs.  Despite having had great success on the daily doxy, I asked to switch to pulsed mino and  add in zith (I was searching for perfection).  He agreed.

For what its worth, I think I did better on the daily doxy (generic) than on the pulsed mino (also generic).

Todd

P.S.  I just got a note from my doc saying he will be training with an ILADS physician next month, so it will be interesting to see if his opinions on mino/doxy and daily/pulsed change.

vinny
    Participant

Linda,

I based most of my early decisions on the website http://rheumatic.org/faq.htm  which states that “Minocycline appears to have greater penetrating ability.” I was lucky enough to treat my disease with Minocycline within 7 months of the initial attack. I was taking 35mg prednisone, MTX and Diclofenac at the time I started mino. I stopped the MTX the week I started Minocycline and weaned off Prednisone in 30 days. My static pain improved as soon as I started 100mg twice daily Minocycline, with no herx reaction. Over time I tried the pulse protocol but had immediate pain increase on the non-use days. I did get to the point of having an acceptable pain level using 100mg every other day. I am currently looking at the immune side of my disease using Low Dose Naltrexone. I am on my third week of LDN and did not have an unacceptable pain increase over the previous two weekends using just 100mg Minocycline on just M,W,F. I do not have any known genetic tendency to have Psoriatic Arthritis and my skin part came after the arthritis attack, probably agrevated by the Prednisone.

vinny

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

linda
    Participant

Thanks for the information. I also test negative for any genetic markers. I'm also trying to wean off of prednisone, but not as lucky as you as I've had this dx for over 20 yrs and been on the prednisone for 12yrs. I'm really hoping for some improvement, but I'm pretty sure it won't be as dramatic as yours; it's good that you started the AP just months after your symptoms appeared. I'll share your information on the minocycline with Dr. K when I see her next week.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘ Non-genetic Psoriatic Arthritis’ is closed to new replies.