Home Forums General Discussion No question Insurance wont cover minocin brand for me after mar 2016

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    richie
    Participant

`My last minocin rx cost my insurance company 6100 for 180 capsules -At 200 mg daily thats a three month supply–No way my insurance company is going to go for 24000 a year –I would think many people out there will face a similar dilemma because of the tremendous price increase –my plan is to get approval for the Teva version of Solodyn generic extended release minocycline tablets in 95 mg —It has a true extended release feature that is even longer than minocin pellets —I will use this as a fall back after I fight like hell for the pelleted brand !!!!!!!!!! -I did lots of research and this is the best alternative for me –Suggest whomever takes the brand –have a contingency plan in hand and dont wait for last minute –richie

frhorngal
    Participant

Thanks for the info- I’ll definitely be exploring this option with my next refill!

RA/Lyme: 100mg Minocin (brand) MWF, 3mg LDN, 10mg CBD- BID

PhilC
    Participant

I believe that the name-brand minocycline closest to Minocin is Dynacin. The problem with Solodyn is that it’s not bioequivalent to Minocin. Also, I believe that Solodyn has been discontinued, though generic forms appear to still be available.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

`Solodyn is now being made by Valeant –still being made —-Teva just got their NDA approval for solodyn generic —while its 95 mg -close enough —the main reason I will opt for this is that it is extended release and hopefully would have the same penetration as minocin pellets -richie

richie
    Participant

`Correction Teva has been enjoined from offering solodyn generic –I was looking at old news –back to the drawing boards–

Trudi
    Participant

This was on the news this morning: Finding the best prescription drug prices–
    http://www.consumerreports.org/drugs/6-tips-for-finding-the-best-prescription-drug-prices

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Richie,

Teva just got their NDA approval for solodyn generic —while its 95 mg -close enough —the main reason I will opt for this is that it is extended release and hopefully would have the same penetration as minocin pellets

Minocin is not extended release, so there’s no equivalence between the two. Powder-filled capsules tend to release their contents very rapidly. In the case of minocycline, that can lead to side effects like stomach upset and vertigo (dizziness). The pellets in Minocin pellet-filled capsules are designed to disintegrate a little more slowly (but not as slowly as extended release) to reduce the incidence of side effects. Dynacin tablets are designed to behave in a similar way.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

`Hi Phil
    Appreciate the info -thx
    richie

bonnielou
    Keymaster

I just purchased from BuyLow drugs in Canada.
    Product: Quantity: Price (USD):
    Minocin (Minocycline) 100mg (9006 – 22) 112 Capsules $196

They advertise this as name brand manufactured in the United Kingdom. I only take 6 pills per week, so that’s more than 4 months supply. I can do this 3 times/year. I am hopeful this will continue to be an option.

Bonnie

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

richie
    Participant

`Hi Is it Minocin –green pelleted capsules or minomycin –
    Richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Richie,

I believe that what they’re selling is Minocin MR, which is not exactly the same thing as the Minocin that is sold here. It is pelleted, though.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

Richie, you’ll find all the info on Minocin MR sold through http://www.buylowdrugs.com and made in UK/Germany by MEDA Pharmaceuticals here:

http://www.drugs.com/uk/minocin-mr-capsules-100mg-leaflet.html

Capsule is described as: “Orange opaque body and brown opaque cap containing a mixture of white and colored (yellow, green, brown/black) spherical pellets.”

Cost through buylowdrugs.com for 56 Minocin MR capsules is $103.00 US

http://www.buylowdrugs.com/rx-drugs/minocin.php

Bonnie, sounds like you are buying the British generic minocycline? The Minocin MR brand is listed second from top with a small British flag.

Hard to say if this is the Lederle equivalent of the original US Minocin or not. Would need to compare ingredients. Clearly capsule and pellet dyes are different, but pellets that are “modified release” (MR) sound to be same or similar.

Best, Maz

richie
    Participant

`Hi Maz –thanks –I copied the BUY Low page —168 capsules would be 289.00 -thats an excellent price and certainly would be plan A for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PhilC
    Participant

Here are the ingredients in Minocin:

MINOCIN® Pellet-Filled Capsules for oral administration contain pellets of minocycline HCl equivalent to 50 mg, 75 mg or 100 mg of minocycline in microcrystalline cellulose.

The capsule shells contain the following inactive ingredients: Blue 1, Gelatin, Titanium Dioxide and Yellow 10. The 50 mg and 75 mg capsule shells also contain Black and Yellow Iron Oxides.

Source: MINOCIN – minocycline hydrochloride capsule, coated pellets

The formulation for MINOCIN® Pellet-Filled Capsules is a fairly simple one. I know of no other minocycline capsules or tablets that are as simple, ingredient-wise, and I’ve studied the ingredients of quite a few in the course of my research. From my point of view, the simple formulation is a plus because it most likely reduces the risk of allergic reactions.

Here are the ingredients in Minocin MR:

5.1 Pharmacodynamic properties

MINOCIN MR Capsules contain the active ingredient minocycline as minocycline hydrochloride, a semi-synthetic derivative of tetracycline.

6.1 List of excipients

Pellets:

Microcrystalline cellulose
    Croscarmellose sodium
    Hypromellose phthalate 50
    Hypromellose (E464)
    Light liquid paraffin
    Methylene Chloride
    Methanol
    Purified Water
    Opaspray K-1-7000 (white), (containing: Titanium dioxide Hydroxypropylcellulose)-

Capsule shells:

Titanium dioxide (E171)
    Iron oxide yellow (E172)
    Iron oxide red (E172)
    Iron oxide black (El72)
    Gelatin

Capsule Cap:

Titanium Dioxide
    Iron Oxide red (El72)
    Iron Oxide black (E 172)
    Iron Oxide yellow (E172)
    Gelatin

Source: Minocin MR 100mg Modified Release Capsules

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Maz
    Keymaster

`Hi Maz –thanks –I copied the BUY Low page —168 capsules would be 289.00 -thats an excellent price and certainly would be plan A for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Richie,

I hope the Minocin MR will work just as well for you as the original US brand. There are differences as both Phil and I pointed out, so it may be more a question of who is sensitive to what dye and filler and who is not. Hopefully, the active ingredient will be as effective for you. I guess no one will know if it is not tried, but the same rings true for any generic or other brand name.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.