Home Forums General Discussion Newcomer with RA seeking Dr. in DC Metro area

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Laurac68
    Participant

I’m trying to find a AP doctor in the DC metro area. I’m a believer in this protocol. My father was blessed to have been a patient of Dr. Brown. He was bedridden and had been unable to work for over 6 months due to severe RA. After seeing multiple doctors, some who told him he’d never walk again, he was referred to Dr. Brown by a neighbor who knew him as a colleague at GWU Hospital. Dr. Brown hospitalized my dad and put him on IV Clindamycin and then sent him home on Tetracycline and he also had some Erythromycin (I think…I was a little kid at the time by I remember seeing the prescription bottles). In less than 6 months, he was able to return to work and could walk normally. By the year’s end, he was walking and carrying his golf bag around 18 holes every weekend and did so for the next 60 years, as if there’d never been a problem. He could hardly talk about Dr. Brown without getting misty-eyed. Dr. Brown saved his life. Dr. Brown ended up having my mom and I as patients too, if only for blood work. I was of special interest to him due to the genetics of RA. My grandfather (dad’s father) spent 65 years of his life bent over at a 90 degree angle, on crutches, because of RA, then my dad had it, of course, and now…in my 50s, I’m showing signs but I can’t find anyone around here who follows that protocol. The last time I saw Dr. Brown, I was around 17 and he said, after doing extensive bloodwork, that believed he’d found a virus in my central nervous system. Being young and feeling great, I didn’t pay much attention and, shortly thereafter, Dr. Brown took ill. I never saw him again and I keep going back to what he might’ve meant about that virus. I was diagnosed as “auto-immune” back in the early 90s and have been on Synthroid ever since for Hashimotos. Over the last 10 years, I’ve also developed Sjogrens Syndrome and symptoms of Raynauds, now the pain and joint issues are rearing their ugly heads. Sounds strange but, I was always perfectly healthy until I have a bad run-in with mononucleosis. Come to think of it, I was never quite right after that, and I had it for months. I’m starting to wonder what it might’ve left in it’s wake? If anyone knowz of a Dr. Brown clone in the DC metro area or anywhere on the east coast (at this point…), do tell and thanks for listening!

Maz
    Keymaster

Laura, what a FANTASTIC story about your Dad being a patient of dear old Dr. Brown! Thanks so much for sharing it and I’d love to have it added to the website Stories section, if you are willing?

You might be interested to read Diane Aronson’s remission story update at the following link – she also only met Dr. Brown once, but was one of the fortunate ones:

Rheumatoid Arthritis Story Update And Interview With Diane Aronson, Past President of Road Back Foundation.

That aside, very sorry to hear about your health issues and hope it’s not long till you are well on your road back, too!

Have you searched for an AP doc on the new foundation automated Doctor Search system yet? Offhand, I know there aren’t any AP docs in Washington DC (there is one very experienced Lyme Literate MD, however), but there are a few good AP docs in surrounding states. Just click on the following link and it will take you directly to the doctor search system, which is very easy to navigate. It will block you after you have selected 3 doc list options, so suggest thinking about where you are able to travel before picking your lists (e.g. 3 state lists or 2 state lists and the “most experienced” doc lists)

Automated Doctor Search System

Let us know if you need any further help/resources in your search and on your road back to wellness.

Rose
    Participant

Laura, There used to be a Dr. In Richmond I think his name was Dr. H., I may have the spelling wrong but Roadback should know. Had a friend who went to him and it made a big difference for him. I go to a Rheumatologist here in Charlottesville, he is not a AP Doc but it willing to go along with me have been on Minocycline for years.

RBFV Edit to remove AP doctor’s surname, as per forum guidelines, to protect physician privacy.

Spiffy1

Fantastic story

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.