Home Forums General Discussion New Scleroderma patient

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ray82
    Participant

Hi all! I was diagnosed with Scleroderma 2 month ago. Until now, the changes have been some joint pain and swollen hands. I want to start my AP therapy but noticed that Minocycline is not available in my country. Doxycycline is available but i wonder if the affect is as good as with Minocycline. Please advice.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi all! I was diagnosed with Scleroderma 2 month ago. Until now, the changes have been some joint pain and swollen hands. I want to start my AP therapy but noticed that Minocycline is not available in my country. Doxycycline is available but i wonder if the affect is as good as with Minocycline. Please advice.

Hi Ray,

You’re right…for scleroderma, minocycline is preferable for its greater lipid solubility and ability to pass through our cell walls to target intracellular organisms. That said, Dr. Brown did use tetracycline and doxycycline prior to the launch of minocycline, so these do work, too, but perhaps more slowly. There are benefits to using doxycycline, such as less risk of skin hyperpigmentation and those who experience this will often switch to doxy to allow the hyperpigmentation a chance to fade. Some brands of doxy can also be more prone to causing acid reflux, which can be an issue for anyone with GERD due to SD.

I’m a bit surprised, as I think this is the first time we’ve heard from someone that they were unable to locate minocycline in their country. Where are you located? Did your doctor or pharmacist tell you that minocycline was unavailable? Thanks! Let’s see if we can figure out some answers for you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.