Home Forums General Discussion Need original formula minocin for my Mother. PRICE NOT A ISSUE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel D
    Participant

As the title says, I’m looking for whatever Pharmaceutical company sells the original formula minocin in the US. I’ve been reading heavily on here. And it seems any company that has held the patent in the US no longer makes it? I’m hoping this is not true, so if anyone could steer me in the right direction, like stated money is not a issue for this immediate issue as my mother is swiftly degrading in health.

Also I see guys like Phil C know a lot about the science behind it all. If he or anyone could get me a list of what was in the original brand compound. I would be able to better sift through the different labs and brands that produce it current at cheaper prices and narrow down who makes it using the “original” formula.

Thank you.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Gabriel,

Unfortunately, Valeant, the pharmaceutical that bought the intellectual property for the original brand Minocin is no longer producing it. In the past few years, when they stopped production, the scarcity of supplies led to costs rising into the thousands for just one month’s supply! As such, it is no longer available to anyone, as far as I know.

Are you located anywhere near NYC? I’m asking, because there is a dermatologist in NYC who has said he will try to help patients who wish to have Minocin by getting it specially-compounded for them. If you would like to pursue this angle, I’d be happy to send you his contact info in a private message.

The nearest version to original pelleted Minocin that I know of is called Aknemin in Europe. Some mail-order Canadian pharmacies were supplying it, but their supplies change from week to week and you may need to run searches to see who is able to supply it now. It may also depend on where you are located as to whether you can have it mailed to you (either from UK or Canada) and the laws that govern your country.

Many people here are now switching to various generics that they have found effective and I’m sure you will have some others chiming in for you on what has helped their rheumatic disease. If your Mom has scleroderma, you may wish to speak with folks with scleroderma as people with RA may find different generics more effective and vice-versa.

Good luck in your search for your Mom!

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Gabriel,

Is your mother currently taking some kind of generic minocycline?

As far as I know, the closest thing to the Minocin that was sold in the U.S. is Micromycin from Mexico. I recently wrote about that discovery here:

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/minocin-source/

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Gabriel D
    Participant

She has RA, I forgot to specify that. She’s currently takes aurobindo usa Minocycline.

I called Valeant and they told me they still manufacturer it. Is it safe to say the random rep didn’t know what she was talking about then?

Maz
    Keymaster

That’s great, if, as you say, it’s accurate! Did the rep say how you could obtain it and it’s current cost, Gabriel?

Gabriel D
    Participant

@Maz Sadly I live in Michigan.

I do know a larger compounding pharmacy, would it be possible to have that one do it if my mom’s doctor wrote her the script for it?

A little more history, she used to take the Brand Minocin back when Lederal manufacturered it. Every since it was sold a couple times and got so expensive for her she hasn’t been taking it. But now I’m trying to get “it” or something as close as possible to it for her.

Gabriel D
    Participant

@maze the Rep did not, said to try my local pharmacies for availability and cost.

Maz
    Keymaster

@maze the Rep did not, said to try my local pharmacies for availability and cost.

Worth a try, Gabriel! You may find smaller, mom and pop pharmacies more helpful than chains who buy in bulk and might not view a small order as worth their time (tetras have a shelf life of one year), if the small pharmacy is assured of regular business. If you discover the current cost, would you kindly share it with us here? You could be helping many others in the same boat as your Mom.

If you want, I can send you the doc’s contact info in NYC and he may be willing to provide the compounding pharmacy info. Many compounding pharmacies will do mail order if the doc faxes the script to the pharmacy. I can’t guarantee this doc will help a non-established patient but when we talked with him last year he was confident he could help rheumatic patients with a compounded Minocin version as he worked for the company that produced the modified-release pellets and so he knew how to get it formulated. Maybe more effective would be to have your Mom’s prescribing doc call him for info?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Gabriel,

She’s currently takes aurobindo usa Minocycline.

I recommend trying a different generic, preferably one made in the U.S. That generic your mother is taking is made in India, and so far no one on here has reported having good results with it.

A little more history, she used to take the Brand Minocin back when Lederal manufacturered it. Every since it was sold a couple times and got so expensive for her she hasn’t been taking it.

Then it has been quite some time since your mother stopped taking Minocin. Did your mother simply stop taking minocycline altogether, or did she switch to generic minocycline when Minocin became too expensive?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Gabriel D
    Participant

@PhilC she started on generics right away. She’s been through a few but can’t remember all of them, as she never delved into all the deep info, just what her Holistic RA doctor wrote her. And thank you for confirming the uselessness of the current script for me. I tried telling her the same thing. In my reaserch into the company if I remember correctly they even had lost their US distribution license for a time due to toxic fillers/dyes in their medicine’s.

@Maz
    if you don’t mind sending me the docs information, I would appreciate it. If this Valeant option doesn’t pan out I may have to go the compounding route. And yes, if I can get the Valeant Brand Minocin (R). I will post the chain and pricing on here for everyone. I was already planning on it. 🙂

Maz
    Keymaster

if you don’t mind sending me the docs information, I would appreciate it. If this Valeant option doesn’t pan out I may have to go the compounding route. And yes, if I can get the Valeant Brand Minocin (R). I will post the chain and pricing on here for everyone. I was already planning on it. 🙂

Hi Gabriel,

Will send you a PM with this info shortly! Thanks so much for adding to the ongoing convo and hope you are successful helping your dear Mom. No doubt there will be many here who will appreciate any updates you can provide. Best to you and your Mom!

richie
    Participant

The Valeant order dept will tell you its on back order –they have been saying this for over one year now —plain and simple it doesnt exist as of this time —I successfully switched to minocycline by Torrent from the brand after about 17 years —interesting note –Lederle actually made the generic pelleted years ago –Wyeth was the brand at that time –I believe the key to the effectiveness of the brand was the delivery system not so much the formula —modified release pellets

richie
    Participant

I am guessing but I see the primary reason Valeant is not distributing Minocin is they dont want to take away from Solodyn which is still a blockbuster for them –

CMS12
    Participant

That’s my gues too, Richie. Valeant does not show Minocin on their web site as a drug they manufacture. I, too, believe they quit manufacturing it. When I called Valeant a year and a half ago they said they manufacture it, but when I called CVS, Walgreens, Walmart, Riteaid, etc. they did not stock it and could not get it. I was also successful with Torrent when I could no longer get brand Minocin. Good luck to you and your mom, Gabriel.

Cindy

Maz
    Keymaster

The doc we spoke with last year mentioned that this pharma was in financial trouble at that time. It’s possible, too, as Richie says, that Minocin was competing with the other brand, Solydyn. Dr. Trentham (retired) believed Wyeth had other plans to promote Enbrel when it launched, which is why he couldn’t get them to sponsor his JRA Minocin trial. Bottom line is that companies have to be answerable to their shareholders and will do what is financially expedient. Over the years, poor old Minocin was then marketed by Triax as a zit formulation, and the price rocketed with their funky zit packs. Old drugs very often get rebranded when a $ can be made, so I’m hoping Minocin may make a comeback…but is not out of financial reach. Or it just needs someone rich to buy the intellectual property!

CMS12, I wonder (if Minocin is now being produced again, as Gabriel hopes for his mom) whether smaller pharmacies will stock it for faithful customers? Let’s hope.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.