Home Forums General Discussion need advice asap

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I have a kidney stone. I want to get some antibiotics today so that I can get rid of any chance of developing a UTI while I’m waiting for it to pass. Is it ok to take other types of antibiotics WITH minocycline? I can’t get ahold of my AP doc till Monday. Does anyone know if this is alright?

Maz
    Keymaster

@JustDiagnosedChris wrote:

I have a kidney stone. I want to get some antibiotics today so that I can get rid of any chance of developing a UTI while I’m waiting for it to pass. Is it ok to take other types of antibiotics WITH minocycline? I can’t get ahold of my AP doc till Monday. Does anyone know if this is alright?

Sorry you’re going through this, Chris…no fun at any time, but especially during the holidays. Yes, some classes of abx can be used alongside minocycline, but some can’t. You’d need to crosscheck for drug-interactions with your prescribing doc or pharmacist. Drugs.com also has an interactions checker. It will depend on what additional abx is prescribed to you.

http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Just ran a search on Cipro and mino and here are the results:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1636-0,672-332

You’d need to check which abx the doc prescribes (telling them you take mino) and ensure it’s compatible with the mino (e.g. penicillins are not compatible). If not, you’d need to stop your mino temporarily to take the other abx. A short break isn’t a bad thing and sometimes other abx are actually helpful in the healing process.

If you do take two abx at once, be sure you’re taking enough probiotic. 😉

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Chris;
    Because I have Lyme and SD I have always used at least 3 different antibiotics on the same day.What worked best for me was 200mg Mino 3 to 1299mg Clindamycin and 250mg Metronidazole.My doc nixed Cipro saying it could cause tendon problems

JustDiagnosedChris
    Participant

I actually had permanent CNS damage from taking cipro 3.5 years ago. So everytime I go to the ER or doctor, they always know I can’t have cipro

Maz
    Keymaster

@JustDiagnosedChris wrote:

I actually had permanent CNS damage from taking cipro 3.5 years ago. So everytime I go to the ER or doctor, they always know I can’t have cipro

That sucks, Chris. It’s a common uti abx so good to know you can’t use it again. There are other abx for uti treatment so just need to check they’re compatible with mino or not and not a biggy if you need to stop mino for a brief spell.

PhilC
    Participant

Trimethoprim is commonly used for treating urinary tract infections, often in combination with sulfamethoxazole — SMZ-TMP (Bactrim). Trimethoprim alone works just fine, though, and it’s safer since one doesn’t have to worry about the possibility of an allergic reaction to a sulfonamide (i.e., “sulfa”) antibiotic.

Trimethoprim is safe to take with doxycycline and minocycline. I’ve been taking it every day for over four years, along with doxy and/or mino.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.