Home Forums General Discussion Nabumetone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Dr McDougall suggests that instead of taking medications like Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn etc. it is safer to take Aspirin or nabumetone. Has anyone tried nabumetone? It is a non acidic NSAID.

“One dangerous paradox in arthritis treatment is that the drugs most commonly used to treat arthritis are toxins to this intestinal barrier. All commonly used nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (like Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, etc.), apart from aspirin and nabumetone (Relafen), are associated with increased intestinal permeability in man. While reversible in the short term, it may take months to improve the barrier following prolonged use” /McDougall/

“Nabumetone belongs to a new class of NSAID with a lower potential for causing gastrointestinal mucosal irritancy and inhibition of platelet function,[3] little effect on renal prostaglandin secretion and less of an association with heart failure than other traditional drugs of the class.[4] Effects of nabumetone on blood pressure control in hypertensive patients on ACE inhibitors is also good

BG
    Participant

Hi Linda,

I took Relafen (nabumatone) for a long time, two years or more, after developing problems with other NSAIDS. Eventually it led to intense stomach pain just like the others did and I could no longer take it. It didn’t lessen my pain much either despite being on a relatively high dose.

Barb

A Friend
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

Dr McDougall suggests that instead of taking medications like Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn etc. it is safer to take Aspirin or nabumetone. Has anyone tried nabumetone? It is a non acidic NSAID.

“One dangerous paradox in arthritis treatment is that the drugs most commonly used to treat arthritis are toxins to this intestinal barrier. All commonly used nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (like Advil, Motrin, Naprosyn, etc.), apart from aspirin and nabumetone (Relafen), are associated with increased intestinal permeability in man. While reversible in the short term, it may take months to improve the barrier following prolonged use” /McDougall/

“Nabumetone belongs to a new class of NSAID with a lower potential for causing gastrointestinal mucosal irritancy and inhibition of platelet function,[3] little effect on renal prostaglandin secretion and less of an association with heart failure than other traditional drugs of the class.[4] Effects of nabumetone on blood pressure control in hypertensive patients on ACE inhibitors is also good

richie
    Participant

Hi Relafen has as much if not more baggage than other NSAIDS–there are warnings with relafen about prolonged use and heart problems –Ibuprofens have always worked for me –Motrin ADvil are effective –I also like Aleve which is naproxen –it should be noted that OTC meds are much much milder than prescription naproxen or Motrin —
    richie

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Richie,
    @richie wrote:

Hi Relafen has as much if not more baggage than other NSAIDS–there are warnings with relafen about prolonged use and heart problems

That sounds like the standard disclaimer that they started using several years ago for all prescription NSAIDs. Where did you see that?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

richie
    Participant

Drugs.com

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you all. I have used Naprosyn for a long time, but I am looking for something less acidic. Because on its description is says “non-acidic” I thought it would be better.
    Anyway – I have checked – it is not available in Australia.
    Linda L.

A Friend
    Participant

@Linda L wrote:

Thank you all. I have used Naprosyn for a long time, but I am looking for something less acidic. Because on its description is says “non-acidic” I thought it would be better.
    Anyway – I have checked – it is not available in Australia.
    Linda L.

Linda L,
    I was inclined to send you a PM with the following link to a previous post (or posts). There are many in the BB messages that can be found with a search. I did this, and am including one I saw and randomly copied the link below.

Even though your post indicated you wanted a less acidic supplement than Naprosyn, if your body is overly acidic (and I’d bet it is, as most of ours were/or are in the stage you are in), then more changes to achieve this would probably give you much quicker relief and keep you more pain-free — for instance, detoxification. If any of this is not clear, we can discuss it here OR in a PM. I did go through a very painful time, and even my doctor was no help. But an acquaintance who is an N.D. opened my eyes to some of the things I did to turn the pain around. The link below is from a search I did this morning in the search window of our BB posted messages:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11450&p=75709&hilit=addressing+pH+balance#p75709

Hope this is helpful,
    AF

Anonymous
    Participant

A Friend,
    Thank you. Yes, my body is very acidic. In the morning it is usually 5.75-6. It is interesting – some days ago I felt something like an indigestion and I took one tablet of Rennie. It is a popular, old remedy made in France for “fast relief of indigestion and heartburn”. I don’t take it often, maybe 7 times a year. But last time I had a felling that it helped me not only with my stomach, but also with my bones. So I took a box and checked the content. Each tablet contains: calcium carbonate 680mg, magnesium carbonate 80mg, sucrose and saccharin sodium.
    Thank you for the link. I saw your message before, but now I understand it better.
    Linda L.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    @Linda L wrote:

Yes, my body is very acidic. In the morning it is usually 5.75-6.

How did you determine that?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

Phil,
    In the morning PH of my saliva and urine is usually 5.75 /PH strips/Most days I wake up with a burning esophagus and tongue.
    Same thing happens often after I have food. Sometimes I have a feeling that food goes back up and I cannot completely swallow it. I suspect that after taking so many medications for years and now/Naprosyn, Methotraxate, Prednisone, Mino/ my stomach cannot stand it any longer. In the morning I take Naprosyn with Zantac and it helps for a while.
    Linda L.

A Friend
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi Richie,
    @richie wrote:

Hi Relafen has as much if not more baggage than other NSAIDS–there are warnings with relafen about prolonged use and heart problems

That sounds like the standard disclaimer that they started using several years ago for all prescription NSAIDs. Where did you see that?

Phil

Phil,
    These links may or may not be helpful re: Relafen and prolonged use and heart problems, but a search found them:

http://www.drugs.com/relafen.html
    Important information
    Relafen can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use Relafen…
    Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

http://www.rxlist.com/relafen-side-effects-drug-center.htm
    AF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Linda,
    @Linda L wrote:

I wake up with a burning esophagus and tongue. Same thing happens often after I have food. Sometimes I have a feeling that food goes back up and I cannot completely swallow it. I suspect that after taking so many medications for years and now/Naprosyn, Methotraxate, Prednisone, Mino/ my stomach cannot stand it any longer. In the morning I take Naprosyn with Zantac and it helps for a while.

It sounds like you are experiencing acid reflux. It seems that many people afflicted with a rheumatoid disease have this problem.

I suspect that naproxen (Naprosyn) could be a major part of your stomach troubles. Naproxen is very hard on the stomach. Consider asking your doctor for a prescription for a different NSAID, such as celecoxib (Celebrex), etodolac (Lodine), or meloxicam (Mobic). If you can’t get nabumetone, I think it would be worthwhile to try meloxicam first. Like nabumetone, meloxicam can be taken once a day.

Note: People who are allergic to sulfa (sulfonamide) drugs should avoid taking celecoxib.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Anonymous
    Participant

Thank you A Friend and Phil.
    Linda L.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi AF,
    @A Friend wrote:

Phil,
    These links may or may not be helpful re: Relafen and prolonged use and heart problems, but a search found them:

http://www.drugs.com/relafen.html
    Important information
    Relafen can increase your risk of life-threatening heart or circulation problems, including heart attack or stroke. This risk will increase the longer you use Relafen…
    Seek emergency medical help if you have symptoms of heart or circulation problems, such as chest pain, weakness, shortness of breath, slurred speech, or problems with vision or balance.

http://www.rxlist.com/relafen-side-effects-drug-center.htm
    AF

As I mentioned earlier, that is a standard warning that is currently being used for all NSAIDs.

Here is the warning for ibuprofen:
    “People who take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) (other than aspirin) such as ibuprofen may have a higher risk of having a heart attack or a stroke than people who do not take these medications. These events may happen without warning and may cause death. This risk may be higher for people who take NSAIDs for a long time. Tell your doctor if you or anyone in your family has or has ever had heart disease, a heart attack, or a stroke; if you smoke;and if you have or have ever had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, or diabetes. Get emergency medical help right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: chest pain, shortness of breath, weakness in one part or side of the body, or slurred speech.”

Source: Ibuprofen: MedlinePlus Drug Information

As far as I know, there is no evidence that nabumetone has a higher risk of cardiovascular adverse events than other NSAIDs. I plan to post more information on this topic later, after I have completed my research.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.