Home Forums General Discussion Mycoplasma Arthritis

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Participant

Accidentally I found a website The Pig Site and it is about herds infected with Mycoplasma Arthritis /Mycoplasma hyosynoviae infection/ They advise to avoid “mixing and fighting” and control pneumonia if it is a coincidental problem. They treat it with injections of Lincomycin and Tiamulin antibiotics. They even feed medication strategically 7 days before the expected disease outbreak! “Treatment is most effective if given early”.
    “Today mycoplasma arthritis in humans is now one of the many accepted forms of arthritis. The human strains have been found in the related great apes /Dr Brown treated one/ Many animals, rodents, birds, pigs, cows and others are frequently infected with their own strains that are known to cause arthritis”.
    What to think about it?
    Linda L.

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Linda,

My dad, now passed, was a veterinary surgeon and one of his areas of specialty was pigs. He was not at all surprised when I told him about Brown’s belief that infections, including mycoplasmas, caused RA and other rheumatic diseases. He just replied that when he was treating pigs for mycoplasma-induced arthritis, he used a veterinary bacteriostatic antibiotic, called Tylosin. He also said pigs were very similar to humans in many ways. Not surprisingly, they use pig skin for skin grafts and also their heart valves in humans. Growing up, of course I had no idea about my Dad’s interests and it was only later when I began researching these things that I questioned him. Brown also talks about brucellosis in the book and my uncle, also a veterinarian, had a very bad case of it, causing fever, sweats, excruciating migratory arthralgia and myalgia but he was treated with antibiotics and gradually recovered. Vets just aren’t phased by infections causing arthritides. Another example is chlamydia psittacae, or bird fancier’s flu (hypersensitivity pneumonitis and lung fibrosis), that also may cause very painful arthritis as part of its presentation. Keepers of pigeons (and other types of birds) tend to be at risk from the infection being inhaled in the dust of the bird droppings.

Anonymous
    Participant

Amazing.
    Linda L.

A Friend
    Participant

Linda L, Maz, All…

Reading your posts took me back quite a number of years when I had just gone to the bookstore to get the last copy of the book about Dr. Brown’s treatment — just before my apt with a rheumatologist. I didn’t like the treatment options he gave me, as I’d just struggled for several years after the previous two years of meds that wiped out my immune system. He scoffed at my mention of the book I had just read (prior to my appointment). That has been about 16-18 years ago, but in it… or perhaps in an article that came in information from the Road Back office (it wasn’t on the Internet then, but in an office in the Eastern part of the USA).

I remember reading about Dr. Brown being offered the great ape that had severe arthritis and was going to be put down since it was thought there was no treatment to get him well. As it turned out (I read), Dr. Brown treated the animal and it got well. Apparently the Zoo shared the information with other zoos around the USA, and I read that before long Dr. Brown’s treatment was being used to get other great apes well! I love success stories!

A search or two in the research areas of roadback.org did not find the great-ape-story I was looking for, but an Internet search found this link… in an article by Dr. Mercola (and I thought some of you might like to read what iwas written) :

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/08/16/rheumatoid-arthritis-protocol.aspx
    [excerpt below:]

Animal Evidence for the Protocol
    The full spectrum of human rheumatoid arthritis immune responses (lymphokine production, altered lymphocyte reactivity, immune complex deposition, cell-mediated immunity, and development of autoimmune reactions) occurs in mycoplasma induced animal arthritis Investigators have implicated at least 31 different mycoplasma species. Mycoplasma can produce experimental arthritis in animals from three days to months later. The time seems to depend on the dose given, and the virulence of the organism. There is a close degree of similarity between these infections and those of human rheumatoid arthritis.

Mycoplasmas cause arthritis in animals by several mechanisms. They either directly multiply within the joint or initiate an intense local immune response. Arthritogenic mycoplasmas also cause joint inflammation in animals by several mechanisms. They induce nonspecific lymphocyte cytotoxicity and antilymphocyte antibodies as well as rheumatoid factor.

Mycoplasma clearly causes chronic arthritis in mice, rats, fowl, swine, sheep, goats, cattle, and rabbits. The arthritis appears to be the direct result of joint infection with culturable mycoplasma organisms.

Gorillas have tissue reactions closer to man than any other animal, and investigators have shown that mycoplasma can precipitate a rheumatic illness in gorillas. One study demonstrated that mycoplasma antigens do occur in immune complexes in great apes.

The human and gorilla IgG are very similar and express nearly identical rheumatoid factors (IgM anti-IgG antibodies). The study showed that when mycoplasma binds to IgG it can cause a conformational change. This conformational change results in an anti-IgG antibody, which can then stimulate an autoimmune response.
    [end of quoted material).

I was so very lucky to have found the one book at that time that I feel guided me to a “path” that led me out of the “wilderness.” It is/was not all that I would need to do, but it really got me onto a road I could live with! And amazingly recently have found what appears to have been the source of what made me ill in the beginning of this long chronic illness.

AF

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.