Home Forums General Discussion More on Humira

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    MLTelfer
    Participant

I held off on this post for a while, but when I saw the subject of Humira come up I decided to join in. After my sons flare in November I started him on Humira and discontinued AP. I have United Healthcare and with the subsidy provided by the drug company the cost is only 5 dollars for a 90 day supply.
    The Humira has corrected almost everything. Zero side effects. The stomach issues are gone. He is 95% in remission and the rheum is talking in terms of reducing the dose to eventual remission after a year. All that is left is a little stubborn swelling in his wrist, but that was his most problematic joint. The rheum said that that is to be expected, as swelling is the last symptom to disappear. I hope it continues to work.
    We started the AP immediately after diagnosis, so he had no disease damage or history. He wouldn’t be in the same position as many on the board who have suffered long term disease and then turned to AP for relief.
    My opinion is this – there is certainly value to AP. I feel strongly about this. He was seeing results and I continue to study AP and the disease and could see him resuming this therapy when options decrease for him. I support AP based on my experience, but I must consider his age and situation and intervene for his health,
    For now, biologics. In the future, perhaps AP again.
    PS – rather dramatic improvement occurred with Humira after a couple months.
    Best of luck to all!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airen
    Participant

this is nice to hear. I am so scared of the drugs and i like hearing good stories of them working for folks. the pain and fatigue and depression of this disease is serious business and i love hearing that someone has gotten relief…no matter their method. if AP doesn’t work for me I will certainly look in to this. thanks for your input!!

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

marypart
    Participant

Congratulations! Such good news. My son did very well on AP, but I definitely see the value of the biologics. 4 of my siblings have serious arthritis. My youngest brother has done extremely well on Embrel..now about 10 years and he is in his early fifties and is a professional firefighter. He also reports that he always improves when he is on antibiotics. He saw a Lyme doctor for a couple of years and everything improved on antibiotics, but he still needs Embrel and it has been a lifesaver for knocking out the inflammation and the fatigue.

Not everything works the same for everyone. So glad to hear your son is doing well.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.