Home Forums General Discussion Missing a dose

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Spiffy

I have always been surprised that my thyroid seems to be okay through testing. This past time it was at 2.0 and my free t3 and t4 were normal. He tested my TPO and Tg as well. All good. With my times of fatigue, rashes, hair loss, and constipation my thyroid seems not to be at the root of it. I had wanted Quest to check cortisol and the ball got dropped…not sure where. It was still normal by 1 point last time I checked…almost low. Anyway, it is the kind of thing that I come home, take my shoes off, cool down, and relax…they get better. In the back of my mind I do worry about pulmonary hypertension…like my dad….edema was one of his symptoms. However, it did not dissipate on its own. But I do think about it. I am feeling so much better right now. If I could get my factor down to normal I could feel I was in remission. My left ankle will still get sore or stiff at various sporadic times. If my right hip gets bumped it hurts more than it should…like it has been bruised and healing…this also happens to be where my tick bite was. My fingers are pretty great right now. Neck is good. Elbows would not want to be hit on anything, but do not bother me enough to worry about. They may get a little stiff if I hold a book or phone in the same position to long, but fixes itself in minutes. But as far as pain level…almost non existent. I hope it is permanent and not just between flares. I am so afraid of going backwards. Thanks for your thoughts, Maz! I hope you are doing okay, too. Linda, thanks for the reminder of the lemon drink and sauna. My hubby got me a sauna and I have not been making time for it. I will consider these. Thank you. I am also going to add Triphala to my supplements to help me with gut health. Thinking about all of you. Take care.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Spiffy,

Do you have the FT3 and FT4 results? These can be “in range” but not ideal, especially where there may be elements blocking thyroid conversion, such as inflammation, low ferritin, low Vit D and B12. You nay have missed Lyn’s post above so just drawing attention to that as MTHFR can play a role in the latter. A Reverse T3 test can be helpful in this regard, especially when calculated in ratio to FT3.

Spiffy

Recently, My free T3 is 2.9 pg ml with normal being 2.3 to 4.2
    My free T4 is 1.2 with normal being 0.8-1.5
    Ferritin in January was 26.6 with normal being 11.0 to 306.8
    Recent test Vitamin D 79 with normal being 30-100
    Creatinine 0.74…..with normal being 0.50 to 1.10
    EGFR 97
    AST 16
    ALT 12
    INR 1.1 with normal being 0.9 to 1.1… I take cod liver oil, turmeric, etc. I expected this
    ESR 2
    CRP less than .1
    Thyroglobulin antibodies less than 1 IU ml
    Peroxidase AB less than 1 IU ml with normal below 9
    Red blood count 4.24 with normal being 3.80 to 5.10
    Hemoglobin 13.6 normal is 11.7 to 15.5
    So happy over MCV at 96 with normal being 80 to 100…. Take that MTHFR
    Neutrophil percentage is back down at 64.9 but my lymphs did not budge at 14.8. I know that my rise in eosinophils is what bumped my neutrophils down because they all add up to be 100%.
    Eosinophils are now high at 731 with normal being 15 to 500….never had this…was 47 during flare
    My folate RBC is 916 ng ml with normal over 280
    Magnesium 4.8 on scale of 4.0 to 6.4….. I supplement nightly….can’t believe not higher

Basically what pops up flagged is RA factor at 34, total IGE serum is 145 with normal 0 to 114,
    Platelet count at 138,000 with low normal being 140,000, high eosinophils, my high EBV levels in January, my allergen to monoliforme IGE high at point .89 with normal at less than .34 in January

I had asked for b12 levels to be tested and the ball got dropped, but my levels were seen as fine last time I checked and I supplement daily

Probably too much information, but I am always fishing for answers, thank you!

supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Spiffy,

Your TSH is 2.0 which isn’t awful at all – anything between 1.5 to 2.5 is good, but my understanding (looking at a thyroid chart) is that it is considered more optimal between .5 and 1.5.

Your Free T4 is also looking very good and above mid-range, which is the goal.

Your Free T3 of 2.9, however, could be better. The optimal range is 3.7 to 4.2 (upper quartile of lab range used), though fine to be between 3.2 and 3.7. The range your lab is using is the same as on the thyroid chart I’m looking at. So, might be worth discussing this with your doc, as conversion issues (converting T4 to T3) can leave patients hypothyroid even though on paper they appear to be euthyroid. Many rheumatic symptoms can be worsened by an imbalanced thyroid, and so this can be critical to achieving wellness on AP.

According to yet another chart I’m looking at, the factors that can block T4 (thyroid storage hormone) to T3 (the active form of thyroid hormone) are:

Taking calcium, iron, estrogen or dairy and high fiber with thyroid meds.
    Eating excess uncooked goitrogens daily
    Poor nutrient absorption (leaky gut)
    Chronic fasting
    Chemo/radiation
    Excessive, intense exercise
    Chronic high inflammation
    Low testosterone
    Certain medications
    Liver stress
    Low iron
    Genetics
    Lyme disease

According to the “Optimal Iron Levels” chart I’m looking at, ferritin is ideal for women between 70-90, with serum iron at 110, % saturation at 35% and TIBC (total iron binding capacity) resting in the lower quartile of the lab range used. Your ferritin is a bit on the low side, at 26.6. Mine was 31 a few months ago and other labs clearly indicating iron deficiency anemia, which can be caused by hypothyroidism. This is something I need to watch post-thyroidectomy, because low iron blocks absorption of thyroid meds, affecting thyroid conversion, and hypothyroidism causes low iron due to low stomach acid and poor nutrient absorption – a vicious circle! So, if you have the full iron panel results, you can crosscheck with optimal levels for these, too. Of course, inflammation can also affect ferritin levels, though usually these levels will appear abnormally high with inflammation (called, “anemia of chronic disease” or ACD) and you have perfectly normal levels of CRP and SED so this isn’t applicable in your case.

An interesting read: http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/ferritin/

The eosinophilia is something to ask your doc about, as it may be due to an allergy (also asthma) or to something you’re taking, a parasite infection of some type, or something else. In those who are allergic to tetracyclines, approx. a 30% increase in esoinophils can sometimes occur, according to the literature on the old site, but don’t mean to imply this is your issue.

Your RF is really not at all bad…it’s low enough that it could be attributed to just a normal fluctuation and, in combo with normal inflammation levels, means that disease activity is probably pretty much nil, which is great news, if so!

Not sure what is going on with your magnesium levels, but have you considered the brand and formulation you’re taking and also the combination of minerals and vitamins necessary for absorption?

My best fellow patient guess insight with all this is to check back with your doc on your thyroid conversion and lowish free T3 levels. If you are subclinically hypothyroid, then this could create low stomach acid and poor nutrient absorption of iron and magnesium from diet or supplementation.

Would you like copies of the charts I’m referencing for thyroid and iron levels, Spiffy? Send me a PM with your email, if you would, and I’d be happy to fwd to you as they might help to discuss your lab results with your doctor.

Spiffy

Maz, bless you. I am going to chew on this for awhile. You have given me such valuable information. Thank you. I do feel that eosinophils are minocyclene related. The only way to know is to do a wash out, but this scares me to pieces. I will talk to doc about this. I have been waiting to hear back from him. To make you smile…I laughed when I saw that intense exercise can block conversion…that is one we can check off the list! Ha! I will PM you with my information. Thank you again. I will really study this when I am fresher.

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Maz
    Keymaster

To make you smile…I laughed when I saw that intense exercise can block conversion…that is one we can check off the list! Ha! I will PM you with my information. Thank you again. I will really study this when I am fresher.

Yes, I was chuckling over that one, too….seriously, if a person is hypothyroid (not even taking into account an active rheumatic disease), it’s unlikely they’d be doing any form of vigorous exercise!!!!!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.