Home Forums General Discussion Missing a dose

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Airen
    Participant

So, I haven’t missed a dose yet in 9 months and forgot to refill my pill box this morning and I am at work without my mino. I take 100 mgs twice daily. Should/can I take a dose at 6 pm when I get home and then again at 10 pm for bedtime??? Or just skip this dose and only have bedtime dose?

Thanks!

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

Spiffy

I would do 6 and 10. Many people take two at one time. I do not think 6 and 10 would be too much.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Airen
    Participant

Okay, cool. thanks!

Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

jasregadoo

I would skip the dose and just go for the bedtime one. But likely you won’t have any issues if you decide otherwise and take them as you said.

richie
    Participant

Hi Definitely skip the dose –Two at a time should never be taken –And no doctor ever prescribes it in that manner .—Take the bedtime dose and just go forward tomnrrow —

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

The half life of minocycline means that it’s in the system for a week (hence when doing a washout, it needs to be a week). With long-term use of abx, a missed dose won’t make any difference. It’s not the same as short-term abx treatment of an acute infection where missed doses may make a difference. Even in this case, the usual medical advice is to just wait until the next dose is due.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Spiffy

Oops. Sorry. I have taken mine fairly close together with no problem. I was also told on this forum that there are a few people who take their two doses together to avoid other supplements during the day. Knowing me, I still would have taken two. What did you decide to do?

supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Spiffy

Maybe a good compromise would be to have taken the missed dose at 6 and then wait for your second dose until your next morning. Then get back on your regular schedule. If we were taking 200 mgs. Daily then I would say it is fine to skip a dose, but if you are pulsing only three days a week like me, I would never skip a dose without making it up. But that is just me. I hope I did not give you bad advice!

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Spiffy

Or maybe you are taking your antibiotics daily…I don’t see your bio. That would make a difference in your blood levels. Are you pulsed or daily?

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Spiffy

Airen, just re read your post. You are daily. What did you do?

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Airen
    Participant

I take 100 mg twice daily. Usually I take my first at 9 am and then second around 9 pm. I ended up taking it at 6 pm and PLANNED to take another at 10 pm but fell asleep and missed it!! Lynnie’s explanation above makes perfect sense about the half life being 1 week so it was not a big deal that I missed a dose! Thanks all.

Started AP in June 2015

PhilC
    Participant

The serum half-life of minocycline is around 16 hours.

Following a single dose of two MINOCIN® 100 mg pellet-filled capsules administered to 18 normal fasting adult volunteers, maximum serum concentrations were attained in 1 to 4 hours (average 2.1 hours) and ranged from 2.1 to 5.1 μg/mL (average 3.5 μg/mL). The serum half-life in the normal volunteers ranged from 11.1 to 22.1 hours (average 15.5 hours).

See:
    https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/drugInfo.cfm?setid=39aee369-b5dc-4ff4-98de-06fb4189c733

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Spiffy

That worked out perfectly then. Sometimes I wonder what would have happened if I had gone to daily. I notice that I have more fluid retention in my feet and hands on warm days after sitting or exercising. Not terrible, but not normal. I feel that a good culprit for this is the minocyclene. I feel that it might be more of a problem if I went to daily. My bloodwork is basically good so I do not worry about kidneys. I don’t think it could be cardiovascular. It just seems to be one of those on again off again pesky things.

Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Spiffy, the build up of fluid possibly may be related to your MTHFR gene mutation and resultant detox impairment. I see you are taking Milk Thistle. Are you doing other things to help detox? Lots of water, sauna, de-tox baths, lymph massage?
    The whole lemon and olive oil drink is a great way to help the liver eliminate toxins. Recipe and rationale below:

RECIPE FOR WHOLE LEMON/OLIVE OIL DRINK
    (Rapidly heals Neuropathy and promotes weight gain by detoxifying the liver and normalizing saliva pH values)
    Into a blender, add 1/2 a lemon (cut-up) including the rind and pulp. Be sure to first wash the lemon well and scrape off markings from artificial coloring. To the Blender, add the cut up lemon plus one Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and one cup of Water or orange or other fruit juice. Blend at high speed for one minute. Pour through a strainer (screen type) to remove pulp. Use a spatula to press the pulp. Discard the pulp. Drink it all at once.
    If you have problems sleeping, drink it just before you retire to your bedroom at night. It will help you get a good night’s sleep. The therapeutic value of this drink comes from the whole lemon and the extra-virgin olive oil. The orange juice or other fruit juice is added as a sweetener. You may use 1 cup of any kind of fruit juice that you desire. However, if you have thrush or yeast overgrowth, avoid fruit juice which stimulates growth of yeast. It is better to use plain water.
    Note: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold pressed. Light olive oil is heat processed and may not have the same benefits. I would suggest checking with your local health food store for a high quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.
    WHY THE WHOLE LEMON DRINK WORKS: CITRUS PECTIN RESTORES ABSORPTION OF FATS
    Lemon Juice and Olive Oil Flushes Toxins from the Liver.
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil increases the flow of bile from the Liver. This helps the liver get rid of accumulated toxins and poisons. Lymph fluid then drains into the liver for processing and eliminating waste products of cellular metabolism. Some persons have reported that just drinking lemonade reduces the size of their lymph nodes. The mechanism of how lemons do this is not known.

http://www.keephopealive.org/lemondrk.html

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Maz
    Keymaster

I notice that I have more fluid retention in my feet and hands on warm days after sitting or exercising. Not terrible, but not normal.

I can relate, Spiffy. In my case, puffy hands and feet, especially on warm days is directly related to my thyroid and how it affects my RA.

http://www.webmd.com/women/news/20021108/thyroid-root-many-symptoms

Hypothyroidism can also prevent you from getting or staying pregnant and cause a full-feeling neck,swollen hands
    and feet, muscle pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, or other tendinitis. In short, you may feel lousy.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.