Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline pigmentation

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lolly2pops
    Participant

Greetings to all

I just need advice on vit c and minocycline. Can i take them together or is it necessary to space them?
    Thank you.

Dx: systemic sclerosis in April 2016 with lung involvement (UiP), raynauds, sausage fingers, and overall swelling, high skin score, general body weakness, fatigue and weight loss . Symptoms started in 2005 and took 10 yrs to get diagnosed. Current meds: 100mg minocycline X2 p/d, milk thistle, turmeryne, mega C 1000 X2 p/d, calcium channel blocker, chloroquine 200mg p/d and probiotics. Tried NAC but this caused stomach pain and discomfort. Other meds used: imuran (oct 2016-dec2017), doxycycline and cellcept

richie
    Participant

Hi How bad is the pigmentation -people with scleroderma have a dilemma-Most people taking Vit C do not get any change in pigmentation –Vitamin C in large doses can promote growth of collagen -you sure dont want this -However -if you want to try it -take the C away from minocycline -in fact everything should be away from the minocycline -2 hrs -More importantly -how are your symptoms doing on the minocycline –

richie
    Participant

By the way choloroquine can produce skin color changes -lets call it chloroquine hyper-pigmentation

lolly2pops
    Participant

Thanks Richie for your response.
    I started monocycline on 1st dec 2017 and in just a little over three weeks i noticed my tounge having a bluish color. Bluish patches all over and the inside of my cheeks, especially towards the end of my jaw where i previously experienced swelling. A month later my toenails and fingernails turned bluish as well. By the way i have been on chloroquine for over a year and did not experience any of this. On the 20th jan 2018 i had to go off mino in order to start a 10 day course of amoxyclav and amoxicillin due to a uti. In the 10 days the pigmantation cleared completely. 14 days later i was back on minocycline only this time i added vit c. I have noticed that my hands are no longer swollen in the mornings and the skin on my face has cleared quite a bit. I got really sick with muscle pain, back ache, almost all my body hurt so badly four weeks after i started mino but the pains are now less. I reckon that six months from now i’ll able to tell more on whether it’s effective enough for me.

Dx: systemic sclerosis in April 2016 with lung involvement (UiP), raynauds, sausage fingers, and overall swelling, high skin score, general body weakness, fatigue and weight loss . Symptoms started in 2005 and took 10 yrs to get diagnosed. Current meds: 100mg minocycline X2 p/d, milk thistle, turmeryne, mega C 1000 X2 p/d, calcium channel blocker, chloroquine 200mg p/d and probiotics. Tried NAC but this caused stomach pain and discomfort. Other meds used: imuran (oct 2016-dec2017), doxycycline and cellcept

lolly2pops
    Participant

…and no bluing since the addition of vitamin c

Spiffy1

How much vitamin c did you find effective?

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

lolly2pops
    Participant

I started at 1000mg twice a day but i initially wanted to be on 750 twice per day. Unfortunately i purchased 1000mg and they are so hard i can’t break them into quaters or even half them. Next time i will go for the 500mg one so i can take 1000mg at mornings and 500mg at night. My view is that vit c is a good preventive major.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.