Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline – Far Beyond an Antibiotic

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

A regular forum user has asked if I’d post this article, published in the British Journal of Phamacology, in 2013, describing the broad spectrum effects of minocycline.

This article may have been posted here on the forum before, but for anyone struggling to get this antibiotic prescribed for their rheumatic disease, being told that it’s an “old” treatment and there are more effective drugs today, you can print this off as it was only published a couple years ago. Doctors tend to be swayed more by the immune-modulating effects of minocycline than its antimicrobial effects, so it might help to boost the case presented to them. I think many people here will be thoroughly surprised by the many diseases for which this simple antibiotic has proven effects:

Minocycline: Far beyond an antibiotic

Summary: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23441623

Full text: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/235738717_Minocycline_Far_beyond_an_antibiotic

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

The summary is of a cephalosporin but the full text about minocycline is good.

Maz
    Keymaster

Thanks, Jan! I had a few pages open and must have selected the wrong link to copy and paste. I corrected it to the right one now.

richie
    Participant

I am sure in agreement -but we really dont know the extent of the good and the various illnesses that minocycline can deal with –Monday I have to see a new skin doctor to remove a thingy -no big thing —when he sees that I take minocin he is sure to ask why ??? After I tell him -the negative doctors will mention how long I am taking it –building up a tolerance and spontaneous remission etc etc –My basic reply ALWAYS shuts them up “Your thinking is the generally accepted thinking here in Huntington etc –thats why I had to go to Boston to get remission –I couldnt get treated locally !!! usually that ends the conversation –To some doctors credit a scant few really want to know details etc -dose size etc —

Richie

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.