Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline and Probiotics

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Good Morning –

Just wondering if it is ok to take minocycline and probiotics together or should you space them apart? 

Thanks!

Lori

Randy
    Participant

Lori,

Great question!  Also, how about Prilosec and minocycline? 

I am currently trying to space my minocycline and probiotics and I know it is directed that each be taken before or after meals by a certain amount of time. So, the daily medication, supplement and eating schedule is a challenge.

Also, I was taking my morning minocycline with metamucil and my AP doc said that was defeating the minocycline.  So I was told to take my metamucil as late in the evening, just before going to bed.

Randy

Diffuse SD since Apr '07
    AP since Feb '08
    100mg Mino twice daily
    Stopped Clindamycin IVs Aug 2019
    "No one should profit over someone else's illness"

superperroRA
    Participant

Take the probiotics 2 or more hours after the minocin. If you take them at the same time, the minocin will kill the acidopholus

richie
    Participant

Hi

It really is good practice to not take anything with the minocycline –its best to wait two hours —THe system that works best for me is breakfast first  along with some other meds then wait two hours then minocin two hours or more after that lunch –I then take the probiotic –dinner at mnormal times –then about one hour before bedtime the minocycline –never had a problem and found this easy to follow —

Richie

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Thanks for the advise.  I find spacing my medications is getting to be quite a challenge.  I am on various other meds that say to take alone with a time frame of 1-2 hours before or after taking any other meds or eating.  If I were to space them apart like I'm supposed to, I wouldn't be able to eat anything.  I'm going to have to work out a better timeline.  Its all getting a bit confusing to me.

Lori

JeffN
    Participant

I take the Prilosec when I get up before breakfast, Mino at 9:30 or 10, then lunch around noon, then probiotics, Two calcium before dinner, and then Mino again 30 to 60 min. before bed. Working so far. There is almost not enough time in the day it seems.

stwig
    Participant

Due to the chemical structure of minocycline it should not be taken within 2 hours of any thing that contains calcium, magnesium, or any other element that has a +2 charge (although it is highly unlikely you would consume the +2 elements of Beryllium, Strontium, or Barium)

Combining calcium or magnesium with minocycline will render it useless. This includes vitamin supplements, milk, yogurt, antacids.

Sierra
    Participant

I keep a probiotic and a glass of water on my nightstand and almost always take it in the middle of the night when I wake up for a trip to the bathroom. Minocycline, of course, should never be taken right before bed.

GJH
    Participant

I read someplace that you should take your probiotics with food. I take two capsules with breakfast and two with dinner. I take Minocin with 500mg Bromelain two hours after breakfast.

Time_of_my_Life
    Participant

Wow!   Thanks for all the suggestions.  I never knew that you weren't supposed to take Minocycline before bedtime.  Why is that?  I'm new to AP and have a lot to learn but I'm sure with everyone being so kind and helpful, I'll get it figured out.

Lori

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=212]Time_of_my_Life[/user] wrote:

I never knew that you weren't supposed to take Minocycline before bedtime.  Why is that? 

Hi Lori,

Minocycline (all the tetracyclines, actually) can be very erosive to the esophagus, so it's recommended that you sit upright for a good hour or two after taking it. If a cap doesn't quite make it into the stomach, it can cause severe esophageal burning and erosions that my doc warned would need emergency care. Even if it makes it to the stomach, after dissolving, any leakage back into the esophagus (reflux) can be quite damaging….one of the reasons to also space it a couple hours after eating. 

I err on the side of caution and give it two hours before bed, taken with a full glass of water on an empty stomach, to make sure it to goes down. 

Peace, Maz

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Minocycline and Probiotics’ is closed to new replies.