Home Forums General Discussion Minocycline and Nystatin

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    kristie
    Participant

Is it ok to take minocycline and nystatin at the same time? Or wait a couple hours? Started taking oil of oregano, is it ok with Nystatin as well? Thanks Again

Maz
    Keymaster

Is it ok to take minocycline and nystatin at the same time? Or wait a couple hours? Started taking oil of oregano, is it ok with Nystatin as well? Thanks Again

Hi Kristie,

With some medications, like minocycline, it’s just wisest to keep supps well away from doses, because one never knows if it might interact or reduce the effectiveness of the antibiotic. Some supps contain fillers that may reduce intestinal absorption. Nystatin is a gut wash-thru and very little, if any, of the medication is absorbed.

http://www.rxlist.com/oregano-page3/supplements.htm#Interactions

There are no listed drug interactions for Nystatin and minocycline as per Drugs.com, so should be just fine together:

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1636-0,2389-0

Interestingly, minocycline and Diflucan, which is a systemic anti-fungal, have synergistic effects on candida, because minocycline has the effect of helping fluconazole to penetrate the biofilm in which candida gets holed up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20707818

Btw, nystatin is “just” a wash-thru, but that said, when I used it, I had massive die-off and felt dreadful after a few days of using it. It’s one of those things I just pushed through as it was clearly a herx…overwhelming fatigue and general malaise. Learning how to detox can really help with these kinds of die-off reactions. My preference is not to do too much at once, so I’d probably just use minocycline and nystatin and see how things went, first.

With systemic anti-fungals, if you ever should need one, these are quite heavy on the liver and work by inhibiting the P450 cytochrome in the liver, a major detox pathway. So, it’s very important not to use grapefruit seed oil, for example, which also has this effect and may cause liver damage. Some herbals do interact with medications and it’s critical to have the input of an experienced doctor when combining herbals with prescription meds.

Wishing you the best, Kristie!

kristie
    Participant

Thank you Maz for your wisdom and we’ll wishes! I greatly value your advice. I have a ASMA titre of 160 so the dr doesn’t want to give me Diflucan. So would grapefruit seed oil be hard on the liver alone? I don’t think my dr is taking my yeast issues very seriously as I only got Nystatin for a week! So I’ll have to try natural remedies after. I forgot to ask if Nystatin kills friendly bacteria? Must fit my probiotics in somewhere! Thank You =)

Maz
    Keymaster

Thank you Maz for your wisdom and we’ll wishes! I greatly value your advice. I have a ASMA titre of 160 so the dr doesn’t want to give me Diflucan. So would grapefruit seed oil be hard on the liver alone? I don’t think my dr is taking my yeast issues very seriously as I only got Nystatin for a week! So I’ll have to try natural remedies after. I forgot to ask if Nystatin kills friendly bacteria? Must fit my probiotics in somewhere! Thank You =)

A week of nystatin doesn’t seem much for chronic yeast issues. Have you considered seeing a doc who is more on the integrative side to help with that?

I would avoid grapefruit seed extract with an elevated ASMA titer and would research other alternative candida protocols carefully, as some can be too hard on the liver. You might want to research supps to support liver function, however. Were you given a diagnosis of any kind with the elevated ASMA? Rheumatic or otherwise?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.