Home Forums General Discussion minocycline and itching

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    busyasab
    Participant

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board and have started minocycline in Jan 2008.  I am breaking out in hives and itching like crazy?  Is this a common reaction to taking minocycline?  Has anyone else had this experience? 

I am taking benadryl and using calamine lotion but the itching is awful and the hives are spreading.  Yikes!

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Busyasab,

I started mino in mid Dec and have also been experiencing small dime/quarter-sized, dry itchy patches that suddenly appear and look a little like eczema (below elbow, on my belly, back and thighs). I've never had eczema, so this is a new one for me, too. I recall a BB member (Roserd?) mentioning a similar thing last year some time – I believe she had hive-like rashes mostly on her joints – and these cleared for her after a while. If memory serves, she put it down to herxing.

I'm not entirely sure if my rashes are mino-related (herx or sensitivity) or just due to dry winter skin. I've been putting topical cortisone on them and they go in a few days. Your idea of benedryl sounds good, though, so will also try that…thanks for mentioning that.

I'm going to mention this to my doc when I see him in a couple weeks. I've had strange little, itchy skin rashes (different ones like mosquito bites) before while on other abx, including tetracycline, but these went away after a while. We do so much detoxing via the skin, so I tend to think it is probably all a part of the immunopathology of the disease or herxing…and the body just trying to get rid of toxins. Although, if your “hives” become a real concern, it's probably a good idea to mention to your doc. One never knows if it might be a drug sensitivity of some sort…you know, just to be on the safe side. 😉

Peace, Maz

Cubby
    Participant

I've been on it since October, 2005 and never had any of those hives or patches.   I did, however, itch a lot in general.   I don't anymore but the itching is awful!

JeffN
    Participant

Yes the itchies seem to be pretty common. When I started on AP the hives ( I guess they are hives, little bumps that when you scratch them the tops come off and clear fluid comes out) first showed up on my calves and then moved north, some on my thighs then to my stomach sort of each side not so much in the center. Then up to each side of my chest and back, then up into my neck – stopped at the jaw line. I have not had any in a while but ten days ago I had a massage at a holistic health night and I have a pretty itchie case going now on my upper chest back and now up on the neck. I have read here that a massage can kick off a herx. Its all good though I regard the herx as progress. Interestingly the hives are alway symetrical.

As far as the itching when I had shingles six years ago I found an oatmeal bath would help, I think my wife got the stuff at the suremarket but I just saw some today at our local health food store. Like I said It's a pain noe but try to look at it as progress, that may take the edge off a little. Oh and this itching is not nearly as bad as the shingles.

Cubby
    Participant

Hi Jeffn!!!   It is interesting to note that you had shingles before you got Scleroderma.  I did also.  Had it 3 times!!!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I never had hives or itching as part of my original herx back in 2003 when I started AP. However, when I decided to up my dose to 200mg MWF last May, I did have around 3 – 4 weeks of itching, particularly in the evenings. I think it was a mild herx. Having also now read up on salicylates, amines and gultamate sensitivity, I'm also now thinking that it may be connected to chemical intolerance.  

an.jajahWrapper { font-size:1em; color:#B11196; text-decoration:underline; } a.jajahLink { color:#000000; text-decoration:none; } span.jajahInLink:hover { background-color:#B11196; }

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ minocycline and itching’ is closed to new replies.