Home Forums General Discussion Minocin Price

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    richie
    Participant

After 16 years my insurance company is requiring prior authorization for minocin the brand –They appear to be really tightening up on many many drugs —After some research I find out the retail cost of minocin 100 mg is anywhere from $ 18–20 per capsule !!!!!!!!!!!! I believe wholesale now about 9–10 per –My RX calls for a 3 month supply or 180 capsules for a retail cost of around 3600. -Thats 14400 a year —-While I intend to fully try to keep obtaining the brand -its a tough fight considering a US made Generic is maybe $ 1-2 per

There is absolutely no reason for this obscene cost since the research expenses have been amortized years and years ago —and the company who has bought out the rights in the US has invested zero in research and most likely has amortized the cost of acquisition just by their dermatological sales !!!!!!! –Sad situation !!!!
    richie

richie
    Participant

HI again —
    My back -up is Mylan or Teva generic
    Richie

jasregadoo

Please keep us informed as to whether you are successful in getting brand name at a reasonable price. I checked the other day and it was $980 or something like that for 60 pills. I’m new to AP and have never used brand name, so I don’t know how much it used to be.

lajc
    Participant

That is a crazy, exorbitant price for brand name minocin. Wow! Makes you wonder how much of it they can actually sell at that cost. Good luck with your search. It’s gotta be frustrating for you since you have had such wonderful results with the brand name. I don’t know anything about Mexico but would it possibly be more reasonable down there?

jasregadoo

Richie, do you differentiate between tablets and capsuls for the backup generics? I’ve been trying to figure all of this out. I had the option of a tablet by dr reddy for $285, or a capsule by ranbaxy for $50. I know the FDA has had issues with ranbaxy, but I wasn’t sure what else to do…

richie
    Participant

Hi I think Ranbaxy is now made in their US plant –if its only a choice between the two -I would lean toward Ranbaxy —Mylan makes a capsule –while its powdered I felt since minocin is a capsule -might go with that –I would go with Mylan or Teva because they are two companies with excellent reps –
    Richie

Trudi
    Participant

@richie wrote:

–Sad situation !!!!

Since competition is supposed to keep prices down, can I conclude that competition is lacking here?

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

richie
    Participant

Hi Correct –there is no ther pelleted capsule –however other branded minocyclines are out of sight also like solodyn and dynacin –Collusion ??????????????????
    richie

jasregadoo

Has anyone tried ordering online from Canadian pharmacies? I’ve never tried, don’t know the plusses and minuses of doing so.

richie
    Participant

Minocin brand is no longer available in Canada -it used to be a very good option but if its all generics probably doesnt pay !!!
    richie

richie
    Participant

Well after an hour on the phone pleading my case and my internists office also speaking with them –I am able to get the brand with really a minimum co-pay —I do think they accepted my arguments –such as –I have been approved for the brand for 16 years and now they want to change me –there is no real basis for changing –they tried to bring up _not FDA approved for scleroderma –I countered -correct -thats why so many many people dont have good outcomes using so-called FDA approved meds–Off l abel meds are covered also —I really think the argument that they accepted was ” I am proof it works –here I am 16 years later feeling well and arguing with you to so I can continue to feel well “–they approved a month first then 3 months supply after April 20 –hopefully they wont bother me again this year !!
    Richie

Trudi
    Participant

@richie wrote:

Well after an hour on the phone pleading my case and my internists office also speaking with them –I am able to get the brand with really a minimum co-pay

Hi Richie–
    That is great! Who did you talk to? The pharmacist or the manufacturers? I’ve been sharing this with my husband and he actually wants to know.

On more thought, probably the insurance company?

Take care,
    Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

richie
    Participant

Hi I spoke to insurance company –
    richie

jasregadoo

Congratulations! Good for you for fighting for what you need.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Congratulations! You are proof Minocin works!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.