Home Forums General Discussion mino or doxy??

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ellie6
    Participant

I have taken both mino and doxy for lyme disease in the past. I was on various oral antibiotics as well as bicillin injections for over a year. I had some improvement in my severe bursitis pain but was left with horribly inflamed SI joints. My rheumy feels I have ankylosing spondylitis or psoriatic arthritis based on bloodwork and cat scan results and is pushing enbrel but with a history of lyme I was afraid. I tried low dose naltrexone several times but had to stop due.to an increase in pain. I never made it past 1.5mg. Historically whenever I took doxy my pain went away within 48 hrs but returned with a vengeance a few days later never letting up. Of course the dosage was much higher. With mino the pain increased with the first dose and continued to be severe.
    Since nothing else has seemed to work I was thinking of trying the protocol but was unsure which to try.

Joanne NJ
    Participant

I cannot chime in with anything too scientific on the subject, but wanted to let you know you can take both antibiotics. I take both Doxy and minocycline but on alternating days. I have RA and did AP back in 2010 for one year and went into remission 😀 . Then things got bad and I stopped for a bit, as my primary doc was the one overseeing my care and he did not feel comfortable without an experienced AP doc stepping in. We based my dose of alternating the doxy and mino on my brother who did this with an experienced AP doc and also did quite well. So, about 3 weeks ago, I finally went an saw an experienced AP doc with all my lab results from my remission and he felt we should do the exact same thing since it worked for me before! I am two weeks back into the AP, slight improvement after a rough couple of days (hopefully herxing) as I cannot wait to feel better again, Joanne

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ellie,

Since doxy and mino both caused you pain, you would probably be better off starting with doxy since it is usually easier to tolerate than mino. However, you may need to start at a lower dose, such as (for example) 50 mg a day or even every other day. An even lower dose could be used, if necessary (see below).

From the “Historical Protocol”:

If the medication tends to aggravate the condition, it is spaced differently, maybe to once a week or twice a week, and gradually increased to the M-W-F dosage. Some patients are so highly sensitized to drugs that they can only tolerate minocycline or doxycycline 25-50 mg. once every two weeks or even once a month, but with continued titration of the dosage, it is possible to work up to the optimum standard dosage of minocycline or doxycycline 100 mg. once or twice daily, Monday, Wednesday and Friday without flaring the disease.

See: Severe or Long-standing Disease

Are you currently taking an antibiotic or any other medications?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

ellie6
    Participant

Thanks Phil. No I’m not currently on any antibiotics. I feel like I’m caught at a crossroad not sure which way to go. My Rheumy wants me to try enbrel, my lyme doc says no way, more antibiotics are needed for lyme and my integrative nurse says I’m dealing with leaky gut and adding in antibiotics will make matters worse. So I’m really unsurre which way to go…

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Ellie,
    @ellie6 wrote:

My Rheumy wants me to try enbrel, my lyme doc says no way, more antibiotics are needed for lyme

I am inclined to agree more with your Lyme doc. Have you talked with your rheumy about trying something that’s not an immunosuppressant instead of Enbrel? For example, hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) and/or an NSAID.

@ellie6 wrote:

more antibiotics are needed for lyme and my integrative nurse says I’m dealing with leaky gut and adding in antibiotics will make matters worse.

Many people here are dealing with a leaky gut. The fact that antibiotic therapy could make your leaky gut worse seems like a flimsy reason to not use antibiotics to treat a serious infection. As long as you take plenty of good probiotics, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.