Home Forums General Discussion Mino Availability

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    CurlyinNC
    Participant

Hi, Everyone. I have followed some of the more recent posts regarding availability of one mino generic or another. After switching to Teva (from Watson) a few months ago, and having to switch pharmacies during that time, I have just picked up my most recent fill, and found that the pharmacy gave me Ranbaxy.

When I questioned this, I was told that they were unable to get Teva, and the supply of Ranbaxy was low. I’ve been using the 50 mg caps since they were cheaper, and it allowed me to adjust my dosage during the early days. I had the pharmacist check the 100 mg caps, and that supply was low as well. I have not tried other drugstores at this time.

Has anyone else experienced this shortage recently? Does anyone have suggestions? At this point, I suppose I have to use the Ranbaxy since I left the store without checking it first. Does this shortage extend to Canada?

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Began abx treatment 12/2014.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

jasregadoo

I can’t speak to the shortage in Canada. I have trouble keeping on Watson, though to be honest if I could get Ranbaxy I’d love it. I did well on Ranbaxy and worse on Aurobindo. I’m doing well on Watson, but as I said, I’d be happy with Ranbaxy. From what I can tell, it’s one of the better generics.

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Hi, Julie. Does that mean that you switch drugstores frequently?

Diagnosed with RA 10/2014 with very positive anti-CCP. Rheumatoid factor was negative and continues to be negative.
    Currently taking minocycline 100 mg bid M-F, diclofenac 75 mg as needed, probiotics, various other supplements.

richie
    Participant

Firstly –there is plenty of minocycline around -I am certain you folks are using a chain drug store or large big box store —-Firstly I always recommend a small pharmacy for the following –folks at these big chains can only use the stores or chains stock or their one distributor –they do not have the leeway to buy from many distributors –my small pharmacist deals with four drug distributors and actually has more access to meds than the large store !!!!!!If two are out of a specific med -they go elsewhere !!!

Airen
    Participant

I had the same issue at target with my watson. Said it was on backorder and couldn’t get it. I switched to a walgreens that still had watson in stock but are also told that when they run out and try to reorder it states backorder for them as well. Not sure what to do once that happens. I’ve done so well on watson it makes me quite nervous to have any kind of change whatsoever!!!

Diagnosed with RA in October 2014, pain started in February 2014
    Started AP in June 2015
    Taking daily: 32.5 mg WP thyroid 6 am, 100 mg mino 9 am, 16.25 mg WP thyroid 2 pm, B Complex for MTHFR mutation 3 pm, Multivitamin 3pm, 100 bil powdered probiotics 6 pm, 5-8,000 iu Vit D 6 pm, 100 mg mino 9 pm

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Yes, my Target just told me they only have Aurobindo. I’m going to have to try multiple drugstores.

jasregadoo

Unfortunately, the small independent drug stores in my area were of no use to me and carried only the same brands as CVS. They could not (or would not) special order for me. Thus far I have stuck with CVS, though if I could get Ranbaxy somewhere else I would happily do so.

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Yes, Julie, I have found the same problem here with independents. They seem to have fewer options than the chains. However, I have had good luck with my grocery store pharmacy. They are the ones that gave me the Ranbaxy this time, but more may not be available. They do say that their distributor shows the Actavis in stock, however.

Spiffy

I always call in about a week ahead of time so they can special order Ranbaxy for me. Since CVS took over Target they seem to have it on hand anyway.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

Spiffy

It was bought out by Sun pharmaceuticals. I always say…..I need Ranbaxy bought out by Sun Pharm……just to clarify. I pray they do not change the formulation.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

jasregadoo

Hmmm, I haven’t tried that. I had forgotten that Ranbaxy was bought by Sun, and asked for Ranbaxy yesterday. They said, ‘they’re no longer making Minocycline’. So I need to call and ask for Sun I guess. Thanks for the reminder.

PhilC
    Participant

Ranbaxy mino in the U.S. was sold to Torrent.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Thanks for the additional input, however, I’m a bit confused. Was Ranbaxy minocycline bought by Sun or Torrent?

CurlyinNC
    Participant

Okay, I see now. The intent was to sell Ranbaxy to Sun, however, the FTC is forcing the minocycline production to be sold to Torrent in order to avoid a monopoly situation for this drug in the US. However, Ranbaxy and Sun were required to continue manufacturing minocycline and providing it to Torrent until Torrent can get their manufacturing established. I couldn’t find any information past 2015, so I don’t know if Torrent is now manufacturing minocycline at this time. If anyone has more current info, many of us here would appreciate the heads up.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.