Home Forums General Discussion Methotrexate anti-folate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    lemons
    Participant

I have read that folic acid supplementation is considered detrimental in the treatment of malaria due to it enabling the spirochetes to metabolise. Would this be the reason Methotrexate ( anti-folate) is seen to be effective in treating (masking) the Lyme spirochete ?

Trudi
    Participant

Folate is essential for DNA synthesis and the survival and growth of the malaria parasite. Folate sufficiency may be associated with an increased risk of malaria. Antifolate antimalarial drugs are of major importance in the prophylaxis and treatment of malaria.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/5554155_Folic_acid_metabolism_and_malaria

Would this be the reason Methotrexate ( anti-folate) is seen to be effective in treating (masking) the Lyme spirochete ?

Maybe. I never heard of this. Interesting.

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @lemons wrote:

I have read that folic acid supplementation is considered detrimental in the treatment of malaria due to it enabling the spirochetes to metabolise. Would this be the reason Methotrexate ( anti-folate) is seen to be effective in treating (masking) the Lyme spirochete ?

Malaria is not caused by spirochetes, but by a type of protozoa. Although it’s possible that methotrexate has antibiotic properties, I think it would be impractical to use it for that purpose due to its toxicity. What would be used instead are anti-folate antibiotics like trimethoprim and the sulfonamide (“sulfa”) antibiotics.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lemons
    Participant

Hello Phil, I wasn’t advocating the use of methotrexate , I just thought it odd that folic acid made malaria with spirochetal co-infections (should have added that in initial post ) worse. I am going to a country rife with malaria and read that many people infected with malaria, were found to also have underlying Lyme. I am taking a bucket load of Autan and boxes of Doxcycline . I tend to get eaten alive by mosquitos and end up with huge round welts opposed to small bites . I was hospitalised years ago when living in Turkey as I was mauled by mosquitos. I sometimes wonder if that episode might have contributed to my diagnosis of ra.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi lemons
    The absolute best thing that I have found when in tropical climes that are rife with malarial mosquitos is to keep the overhead fan on all night so that they are unable to “land”. Also took doxy as a prophylactic.

Hope you are able to enjoy wherever it is you are going without too much worry – sounds like you are well prepared! 😀 😀

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

lemons
    Participant

Hello Lynnie,
    I don’t know why mosquitos find me so attractive, I wish I could ask them ! Do tend to react very badly and I even get bitten here in the UK. Last summer I was bitten on both eyelids and on my upper lip, it took two weeks for the swelling to go down and in that time I looked positively gorgeous (not) 🙂

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Yes lemons, lots of debate (and myths) about why some people tend to attract them more. They know that women are more than men (but likely because women have thinner skin, so are easier targets). But nothing definitive in terms of an answer yet.

Interesting piece on this subject at the malaria site below:

http://www.eyesonmalaria.org/content/why-are-some-people-more-attractive-mosquitoes

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.