Home Forums General Discussion Medical Societies Under Scrutiny Over Drug Ties

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Further to the scrutiny currently being focused upon the Infectious Disease Society of America in relation to their conflicts of interest in drawing up the restrictive 2006 Treatment Guidelines for Lyme Disease – 11 of the 12 panelists having an vested interest in Lyme vaccine research – it seems another medical society, the American Psychiatric Association, is now being questioned with regard to similar conflicts of interest when it comes to research and dispensing drugs to patients.

This article in the New York Times is worth a look-see….

Psychiatric Group Faces Scrutiny Over Drug Industry Ties

By BENEDICT CAREY and GARDINER HARRIS
    Published: July 12, 2008

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/washington/12psych.html?_r=2&th=&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&emc=th&pagewanted=all&adxnnlx=1215879015-zluAx5FG6KMgHVlnFC7v9g

“Commercial arrangements are rampant throughout medicine. In the past two decades, drug and device makers have paid tens of thousands of doctors and researchers of all specialties. Worried that this money could taint doctors? research plans or clinical judgment, government agencies, medical journals and universities have been forced to look more closely at deal details.”

Peace, Maz

Kim
    Participant

Great article, Maz, thanks for posting.  As consumers and patients we truly need to get our heads out of the sand.  The corruption in the entire system is rampant and we must question the motives to protect our health.  Big pharma has taken a rap, as they should, but they are not alone.  The dairy and meat industries are also heavily involved in the brainwashing of telling us what is 'best for us'.

I would encourage anyone interested in learning more about just how bad it really is to read the book, The China Connection.  It is the best book on nutrition I have ever read — touting the undisputed health benefits of eating a plant-based, versus an animal-based diet.  The data on diet and disease is so clear, but promoting healthy eating will not result in the huge profits that the meat, dairy, and pharmaceutical companies are not enjoying.

My goal is to not only return my health to where I was three years ago before I got sick, but to even better health.  I thought I was eating healthy before, but in the past month have totally switched to a plant-based diet and honestly feel it will be the most important change I've made thus far.  I have more energy, am not hungry, and inflammation greatly reduced.  We can all control the foods we eat, just takes a little change of mindset to have those foods at the ready.  One more tool in our toolbox on this road back!

kim

Joe M
    Participant

Dr. Mercola for one would argue that we are genetically designed to eat both plant and animals, as we began as hunter/gatherers. I think it depends on the kind of meat we eat.  For example, our family has eaten nothing but grass-fed buffalo meat for the past couple years, and both Michelle and I have been able to lose weight and stay healthy.  I believe there are nutrients in meat that can not be obtained from a plant only diet.  That's just my opinion. 

Joe M
    Participant

Ran across the history of tetracyclines – seems the drug companies have been operating in this fashion for a long, long time.

http://www.scripps.edu/chem/baran/images/grpmtgpdf/Lin_Mar_05revised.pdf

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Joe…am interested to read your link…but it keeps freezing out. :doh: Bummer.

Peace, Maz

Joe M
    Participant

Hey Maz,

Its a pdf file, so I downloaded it and attached it.  Hope that works.

Joe

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote:

Its a pdf file, so I downloaded it and attached it.  Hope that works.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Joe….much appreciated and very interesting bit of history indeed! Certainly seems that these sorts of crazy dealings are as old as time immemorial…found it mildly amusing, too, that Pfizer had hired a private investigator to tap the lines of their competitor, Bristol-Meyers, but that the latter was content to overlook this transgression for a piece of the tetracycline market, colluding with their nemesis and others in the loop to inflate tetracycline prices!  

You do find some great articles, Joe. 😀 Cheers!

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=40]Kim[/user] wrote:

The dairy and meat industries are also heavily involved in the brainwashing of telling us what is 'best for us'.

I would encourage anyone interested in learning more about just how bad it really is to read the book, The China Connection. 

Kim, soooo true! There is no doubt that the food industry, in general, has made modifications that have had far-reaching impact. I remember my ol' Dad mentioning how when he went out to visit farmers 'back in the day,' in post War England, when he was uncertain of dx and they didn't have the vast array of testing or meds that are available today, it was like having to play detective and one had to be a very astute diagnostican. He would walk the fields of the farmer, testing the water quality of the streams, checking for possible contaminants in soil, examining feedstuffs, looking for foreign materials the animals might have chewed on (metal that may contain lead, for instance)….and that it wasn't unusual for a problem to be traced to what an animal(s) ingested.  When discussing diet with a doctor some years ago, he said, if we all ate like they did in the times of George Washington (food without presevatives, dyes, hormones, pesticides, abx, steroids, etc), we'd all have healthier guts and fewer food sensitivities.

I'll have to check out the book you mentioned…thanks for the tip!

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=20]Joe M[/user] wrote:

our family has eaten nothing but grass-fed buffalo meat for the past couple years

Joe, where do you buy your grass-fed buffalo meat? Do you have to go to farmer's markets or order specially?

Peace, Maz

Joe M
    Participant

Maz,

We get it from Smokey Hill Bison farm in Kansas.  Not the cheapest, but in my opinion the best.  Google Smokey Hill Bison for more info.

Joe

Maz
    Keymaster

Thanks, Joe….found it. Looks like a great place to order from. I've never been a huge meat-eater, preferring chicken and fish, but the family enjoys red meat occasionally and this seems like a healthier alternative.

Thanks!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘ Medical Societies Under Scrutiny Over Drug Ties’ is closed to new replies.