Home Forums General Discussion Massage therapy? (Frozen shoulder)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    kaz
    Participant

Hi Everyone;
    I’m new here, sorry if this question has been asked and answered before. I also want to say THANK YOU SO MUCH to those that make this website possible. It is such a tremendous support to those of us healing and searching for healing, it really is invaluable.

I have been on Antibiotics for 5 months now and about 2 1/2 months in I experienced the most agonizing shoulder flare, causing me to be unable to move my shoulder in specific ways and basically every way I moved was terribly painful. The flare is finally easing now and continues to get better and better.

I have noticed that as the inflammation lessens, massage therapy (mostly by me) is helping me to such a huge extent. For the past few weeks I have worked on HUGE knots of muscle in and around my shoulder joint and my shoulder has begun to move again. This can be extremely painful but provides great relief once the tense muscle releases.

Has anyone else benefited from massage therapy for RA? I read that James Coburn (actor) partially attributed what he considered a cure of his RA to intensive massage therapy.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had good results and advice if so,
    Thank you!

kaz

(I haven’t updated my signature yet-sorry-I am a 37 year old female, was diagnosed with RA 2 years ago, have not tried traditional drugs but have tried numerous alternative therapies, have been on AP for 5 months)

Linda L
    Participant

I don’t have this kind of experience, but I know for sure that very often pain in RA feels more in muscles than joints.
    Linda L.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

emmaline
    Participant

I was a massage therapist for 10 years and helped many people with auto-immune disorders with pain relief. I still receive massages twice a month and it really helps me, too. I have had times when I had a lot of inflammation the next few days because it helps move toxins out of the body, so I drink extra water. Thanks for sharing. I think massage could help a lot of people 🙂

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

and there are studies to support this

According to a study presented at the 2007 American Massage Therapy Association National Convention,

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

bonnielou
    Keymaster

My shoulders were the first joints to go when I developed RA — and I also developed frozen shoulder. My doctor sent me to a PUSH massage therapist (http://www.pushtherapy.com) and she was brutal, but really helped me recover completely. Yes, I believe massage therapy is one of the special tools in our toolkit that we should use to help give our bodies the best chance for healing.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I’ve found massage helpful but most insurance doesn’t pay for it, so it is an out of pocket expense.

jasregadoo

I’ve tried massage a couple of times and not really noticed any difference. It feels good while they’re doing it, but nothing more. After reading this thread, though, I wonder if I might find some relief from a different type of massage, vs just going to my local day spa. I looked online and found someone who gets rave reviews, and I’m giving her a call. Thanks for the idea!

Dawn
    Participant

I am still using massage therapy for my hands to counteract the collagen build-up on my palms and wrists, occassionally working on my ankles and feet. This has helped greatly in curbing deformity from build up remaining in those areas. Once in a while I get an entire body massage which assists in a general feeling of well being, but also unlocks tension-response areas, that may cause further problems as I try to compensate my daily movements around them.

General consensus: a regular part of my RA regimen, and weighted around 10-20% of my total overall program that I am benefiting from.

Note: Detoxing after each massage, small or large scale, is key. I make a point of including my increased Vit C intake and antioxidant foods close around my (bi-monthly) massages.

Maybe that assists in your thinking, be well – it took a loooonnnnnnnggggg time for me to lose the shoulder pain, was one of the toughest areas and most easily flared up if I “drew outside the lines” of careful use of them (mostly the dominant side, right).
    🙄

DawnF

Rockin Annie
    Participant

I also agree with massage to help with pain, inflammation. I go quite regular to a reputable physio and also my very experienced hubby gives me a nightly massage on my fused neck and these massages keep my neck supple lol, if you can call it that. I also had very bad pain in one shoulder and with massage to a point in my traps., the pain goes lol. Could not be without it……Annie

Diagnosed with RA in 2004, after trying many conventional meds I changed to mino.
    2015 changed to doxy 50mgs
    2016 went off doxy, after getting double pneumonia and massive flare put myself on 250 mgs Zith & 50 mgs doxy, which I will increase slowly.
    Supps, magnesium, NAC, vit c, krill oil, oregano oil, thisylin, turmeric, olive leaf extract, vit B, multi vit.

enzed
    Participant

I was spending so much money on weekly massages that I finally invested in a professional electric massage chair. It has 16 different programs in it, with and without shiatsu techniques that are pretty brutal so I turn that function off and stick to the more gentle programs. When I first got it, I used it daily. Now, after a year, I find not only has it paid for itself by what I saved in not going to a massage therapist, I only need to use it once weekly to remain flexible and mainly pain free which is great. There’s a huge range of massage chairs available for hire or to purchase. Best thing I ever bought.

kaz
    Participant

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts and experiences. It is so helpful to have those of you here to turn to with questions and to learn from each of you. Much appreciated. I ended up having to go with a Cortisone injection in my shoulder last week when the flare returned with a vengeance and I could take it no more, but I am still using massage to alleviate a great deal of pain and will continue to do so.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

Dawn- Do you use a massage therapist for your hands?

Dawn
    Participant

I do, she does my palms, wrists and individual fingers; has made great progress where collagen was started to settle and build. At first it was painful as she broke areas down, now I look forward to it as others do back or foot massages because I know the mobility and relaxation the come from it and last afterwards.

Best!
    😀

DawnF

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.