Home Forums General Discussion Lyme Disease Results

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kat0605
    Participant

Can someone help me interpret my Igenex test? I don’t see the LLMD until June. From what I understand- I am positive for Lyme, even by CDC standards? This is important to me because I work for a medical association and they are going to require a “legit diagnosis” if I need to file for FMLA or short term disability. Right now, I have no diagnosis, so it will be nice to have one.

IGM
    23-25 ++
    31 +
    34 I
    41 +
    66 ++
    83-93

IGG
    39 I
    41 ++

THanks so much in advance!

Symptoms started in 9/16 after 2 miscarriages, diagnosed with Lyme 4/17, Daughter born 6/17 (not breastfeeding). ANA negative by IFA as of 8/17, positive by ELISA with positive Anti-DSDNA antibodies the same month (false positive?). Symptoms that have come and gone include sicca and skin tightening and telangiactiasia. Currently dealing with migraines, arthralgia, morning stiffness, neuropathy, slight swelling, slightly elevated liver enzymes, and bubbly urine. Current protocol: minocycline 100 mg QID, azi

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Kst,

Yes, you only need two double-starred antibody bands on IgM, but 5 on IgG, on standard testing. The following link should explain all, but if you check out FAQ# 34, you’ll find Dr. C’s explanation and Melissa Kaplan’s, as well.

http://www.lymenet.de/labtests/brenner.htm

It can be a lot to take in, so if you have any questions I can try to answer.

The issue with diagnosis for disability is that a chronic form of Lyme is not recognized by the IDSA, so this is where you could run into probs. Dr. C. explains why IgM (present) infection can waver back and forth with IgG (past infection), which is consistent with Lyme being a waxing and waning illness, but as far as IDSA guidelines go, if you’ve had 2-4 weeks of doxy, you’re cured. This does not gel with what Dr. Steere (the doc at Yale who helped uncover the Lyme mystery in CT in the mid-1970s) saidin his examination of Lyme persistence (but now seems to have retracted):

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2847622

“Lyme disease is capable of producing a wide variety of clinical pathologic conditions and lesions having in common histologic features of collagen-vascular disease. The plasma cell is an omnipotent inflammatory responder in most tissues involved by Lyme disease, ranging from relatively acute to lesions that have gone on for years. Vascular thickening also seems to be prominent, and in the dermis is accompanied by scleroderma-like collagen expansion.”

“All of these histologic derangements suggest immunologic damage in response to persistence of the spirochete, however few in number.”

Kat0605
    Participant

Thanks Maz!

I also wanted to let you know that I heard from a colleague that the prohibition on prescribing Doxy to pregnant women with Lyme may be going away in future ISDA recommendations (which will trickle to LLMD/AP Drs as well). Apparently they are finding that the issues with doxy affecting fetuses are not as severe as previously thought and in most cases, becaue Doxy is the MOST effective medication, the benefit to Mom/baby outweigh potential harms. I can’t see any Drs changing their practice until it’s official, but just wanted to update you on recent activity.

Symptoms started in 9/16 after 2 miscarriages, diagnosed with Lyme 4/17, Daughter born 6/17 (not breastfeeding). ANA negative by IFA as of 8/17, positive by ELISA with positive Anti-DSDNA antibodies the same month (false positive?). Symptoms that have come and gone include sicca and skin tightening and telangiactiasia. Currently dealing with migraines, arthralgia, morning stiffness, neuropathy, slight swelling, slightly elevated liver enzymes, and bubbly urine. Current protocol: minocycline 100 mg QID, azi

Maz
    Keymaster

That’s kinda worrying, Kat. Not sure LLMDs will follow suit. I see mine a a week, so I’ll ask him for his thoughts. They don’t generally agree with IDSA recommendations, but this might be the exception to the rule.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.