Home Forums General Discussion Low Dose Naltrexone – hope for autoimmune diseases eg RA

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    cavalier
    Participant

Dear Maz & all – my doc who prescribes the thyroid for me is also who prescribed the LDN at 9.0 mg’s it is 4.5 twice a day 12 hr’s apart. I just went to see him on Friday just yesterday. It is Dr C. in Tunica who is my Lyme doc — as he wanted to recheck my thyroid levels he knows about my heart & I wanted to check the thryoid too as too low is not good nor is too high for both the thyroid & the med’s and for the heart.
    I should CLARIFY once gain – that i was having heart trouble starting back in May ahead of EVER taking LDN off & on – i didn’t start LDN til the end of July & I was on 4.5 mg’s only, NOT the 9.0 when I had the tachycardia & high heart rate I had suspected that SD maybe starting up in my heart as I have seen continued progression despite AP & a host of other support so far, while I keep hoping for regression not yet, meantime it is marching on. I was getting hopeful as the hand swelling has gone down
    but i read this can happen anyways as you progress on into the next stage so it’s hard to judge this.

I continue to have trouble, but am using more BP med in cozaar in upping that amt. which is antifibrotic by the way – NW in Chicago recommends this for SD patients in this action – this seems to be the best out of what BP med’s i have – the beta blocker Cardio gave didn’t work well so I asked if i could up the cozaar a bit after trialing this.

I posted Dr S’s note from Ia. who he like me feels all of the signs i am having are classic for SD early signs hitting the heart & I posted prev. that info too under the pericardial effusion post. IF my episodes were happened after I was on the 9.0 mg’s I would have immed. taken it down – If the doc’s who feel the heart is like this from inflammation which is how you get a pericardial effusion then LDN is helpful for fighting inflammation. I also feel better & my heart rate tends to get better with the 2nd LDN capsule. I appreciate the input I continue to monitor things. i also take magnesium for the heart along with other support.

As to LDN – here is some further info it’s a long list for med’s some med’s LDN interferes with clonodine is one – LDN reduces the effectiveness of clonodine which is a BP medare AKA Capres.
    This is from a LDN list i am on and it is able to be shared- from a doctor who has worked with it for some time Most lists lump all opiods as being excluded while on LDN period but if you notice that Tramadol can be taken but must be 12 hr’s away from when the LDN daily dose was taken. – Best – Jill

LDN will block the analgesic effects of MOST opiate drugs. In general, Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) should not be taken concurrently with opioid-containing drugs, immunosuppressive drugs, or immunomodulator drugs. Do not take Low Dose Naltrexone with any of the following without first consulting your doctor:

List may not include each brand name available on the market.

NOTE: Tramadol (Ultram) (A dose is said to be OK 12 hours after a dose of LDN)

Analgesics approved for use with LDN include Moxxor, aspirin, Tylenol

cavalier
    Participant

sorry my post got messed up the exception to the opiod is felt to be tramadol but 12 hr’s apart from LDN – if one must take it still. however for simplicity it is generally stated that all opoids are to be avoided.

Jill SD Lyme & Bartonella

Rosey UK
    Participant

Hi, I’m new to knowing about LDN, but what I do know now is if your on thyroxine for hypothyroidism the LDN has to start on a very low dose as it will cause the opposite effect. It will be as though you’ve overdosed the thyroid med. that would cause tachycardia?
    That’s my worry too that my GP will know enough to help me with this (presuming she’s going to prescribe it in the first place)
    I see her tomorrow.

Thanks Maz & Lynnie as always for the valuable information.

Best wishes
    Rosemary

cavalier
    Participant

My doctor has me on a very low thyroid dosage 60 mg’s only. He has been prescribing LDN for many years & has alot of experience with both the thyroid & the LDN. The point is ladies i was having heart trouble long BEFORE i started LDN by over 2 months & I was not on any thyroid med at the time.

The findings if you look under the perdicardial effusion thread are from fluid on the heart & inflammation causes a pericardial effusion and I have L. diastolic dysfunction that was also noted on my echo in May the L. diastolic dysfunction in existence by 2 months ahead of my taking LDN at all & also ahead of the thyroid med.
    What i do have is Diffuse Systemic Scleroderma & I put a link under the pericardial effusion thread of the Hopkins article the early symptoms of both of these findings are from Scleroderma in the heart & Dr S. also agrees this is from Scleroderma. This what happens to the heart along with high heart rate & some incidences of Tachycardia. I just dont know what more to say IF this had not been in existence ahead of ever taking LDN I would stop taking the LDN. But instead when I take the 2nd LDN cap my heart rate goes down it is very helpful for inflammation which is my issue.

If this all started after I started with LDN I would then suspect the LDN – but I kept clarifying this was happening ahead of the LDN – I find it sort of odd that no one wants to see this as being started as SD for the heart – I have continued to show various signs of progression I have a fairly agressive case based on this. I was not doubling the LDN at the time of the hospital either which is under this doc’s approval above who knows of the heart issue – this is why he was wanting a new blood thyroid test to check my levels – I think that was smart & is what i did on Friday this week.

I appreciate the concern but trust me I have considered everything.
    But it would be impossible for LDN to have caused the heart problems I have been having when I was not even taking it at the time nor the thyroid med. What is possible is the very diagnosis I have is indeed under what Scleroderma 1st starts to do to the heart.
    best – Jill

cavalier
    Participant

Oh & I am not on Thyroxine or however it is spelled – I am on armour thryoid i have mentioned this as the medicine before – this is natural pig thyroid as it gives you not just T4 but also T3 which the synethic does not.

This doctor has extensive use of armour thyroid.
    Based on my body temps i am still low temp wise so if anything my dosage is still not enuf – Jill

PhilC
    Participant

@cavalier wrote:

LDN will block the analgesic effects of MOST opiate drugs. In general, Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) should not be taken concurrently with opioid-containing drugs, immunosuppressive drugs, or immunomodulator drugs.

The above information is inaccurate. Claims that LDN is incompatible with immunosuppressants or immunomodulators appear to be based on assumptions rather than facts.

Can LDN be combined with other medications, drugs, vitamins or food supplements?

LDN should not be taken at the same time with opiate-type drugs as it will stop them from working for a number of hours. With regards to other medications/drugs/vitamins in the clinical trials conducted to date, no problems have been seen when LDN was combined with other medications being taken by the studies

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

cavalier
    Participant

Hi Phil

Dr Biari – his info says that the BP med Clonodine that LDN will make the clonodine less effective so it does not cause a problem to the LDN but it just makes this med. less effective.

As to the immunosuppressants this is also what is in the literature i recv’d. I dont take any immune suppressors myself so i dont know but i do know that plaquenil can still be taken with LDN.
    The opiod factor is correct. The only exception is that Tramadol a opiod can be taken still but 12 hr’s apart from LDN. My Pharmacist just mentioned the opiods to me.
    Best – Jill

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Jill,
    @cavalier wrote:

Dr Biari – his info says that the BP med Clonodine that LDN will make the clonodine less effective so it does not cause a problem to the LDN but it just makes this med. less effective.

It is quite likely that there are drugs other than opioids that interact with LDN, and clonidine may be one of them.

@cavalier wrote:

As to the immunosuppressants this is also what is in the literature i recv’d.

Unfortunately, that false information is currently rather widespread on the web. It’s a fairly serious problem because some doctors and pharmacists are providing the incorrect info to patients or using it to alter the treatment patients receive (or causing patients to do so themselves).

Phil

- Albert Einstein

cavalier
    Participant

Phil Tx for the info actually that is good news for some folks & if I ever have to consider going that route for a short while in order to try to quell the fire that is good to know.

As to the Clonodine AKA Capres – there seems to be some truth to that – it does not lower the effectiveness of the clonodine but it just makes the clonodine not work very well if at all – I could not understand when my heart rate got high – clonodine was a BP med I had on hand that my PCP said you can add that to your existing Cozaar to help lower your heart rate & BP down – but it was just not working so they gave me a Beta blocker instead which my heart rate was up due to pressure from inflammation – in the long run the Cozaar adding in a bit more has been better for me in my situation sometimes you have to play with it to see what works. BUT I later noticed that this is exactly what was stated for clonodine with LDN & it matched my personal experience.
    Clonodine is often what a ER might use to help lower BP or a beta blocker.
    So I felt to pass it on.
    Am glad you contribute 😎
    Best – Jill

cavalier
    Participant

CORRECTION – Oops may help if i had my coffee 1st – I said it may not lower the effectiveness of the clonodine – I meant it wont lower the effectiveness of the LDN sorry!!! It def. seems to lower the effectiveness of the clonodine – & this is what the literature stated.

Sorry –
    Jill

Rosey UK
    Participant

Well this is the story of my life. If there’s some meds to help my condition, they’ll be some reason why I can’t have them.
    Saw the General practitioner to day first asked her how my bloods are and she said my liver enzymes are raised again, they were going down last time and raised up again this. There not as bad as they were two years ago when they were in the four hundreds, they’re too hundred and something now. However she wasn’t any comfort, I told her my concernes about prednisolone and what was a safe dose, she said no dose was safe.
    I asked her about LDN she said she can’t prescribe but I wouldn’t be able to have them with my liver condition.
    She said to have the biopsy (it’s alright for her).
    Feel like I’m doomed, very upset. Have to take preds because can’t take anything else with my liver, and the preds are killing me.
    Keep well!
    Rosemary

cavalier
    Participant

sorry Rosey! Not the news you were hoping for. Do you do things for good liver support such as milk thistle NAC Detox etc? Maybe a stupid thing to mention.

Hugs – Jill

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Rosemary,
    @Rosey UK wrote:

I asked her about LDN she said she can’t prescribe but I wouldn’t be able to have them with my liver condition.

I don’t believe that what your doctor told you is true. In any case, as a precaution you might try a very low dose (0.5 mg) to start out and then increase the dose (slowly) only if your liver enzymes are not increasing. Since your doctor is unwilling to prescribe LDN for you, I would attempt to find a doctor who has some experience using it.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

A Friend
    Participant

@Rosey UK wrote:

Well this is the story of my life. If there’s some meds to help my condition, they’ll be some reason why I can’t have them.
    Saw the General practitioner to day first asked her how my bloods are and she said my liver enzymes are raised again, they were going down last time and raised up again this. There not as bad as they were two years ago when they were in the four hundreds, they’re too hundred and something now. However she wasn’t any comfort, I told her my concernes about prednisolone and what was a safe dose, she said no dose was safe.
    She said to have the biopsy (it’s alright for her).
    Feel like I’m doomed, very upset. Have to take preds because can’t take anything else with my liver, and the preds are killing me.
    Keep well!
    Rosemary

Rosemary,
    I’m so sorry you are going through this difficult time. I believe there are some very good things that can turn things around. You may not feel up to doing a lot of reading now, but if you are up to it, the information in the link/treatments below may give you some encouragement — and you may want to try a few of the suggestions at a time. Knowledge can give us power when we need it most — and translates into faith that we can improve.

http://altered-states.net/barry/cancer/orthomolecular.htm
    Orthomolecular Oncology

[Treatments below are described indepth, and address the liver and everything else.]

Treatment I: The Gerson Therapy
    Treatment II: Orthomolecular Oncology
    Treatment III: Bisphosphonates
    Treatment IV: Enzymes
    Treatment V: Metabolic Typing
    Treatment VI: Acupuncture
    Treatment VII: Mind over Matter; Visualization and Breathing Exercises

http://altered-states.net/barry/cancer/orthomolecular.htm

Orthomolecular Oncology
    [The text begins at this point.]

Rosemary, hope you will have faith that your body can heal, one step at a time.

AF

Rosey UK
    Participant

AF,
    Aww! Thankyou so much for those kind inspiring words. Youre right, knowledge is power. I shall look forward to reading all.
    Many thanks
    Rosemary

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 49 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.