Home Forums General Discussion Low-dose cortisol (hydrocortisone)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

This is something I learned about a little over a year ago and have researched on and off since then. Since this therapy has the potential to be a useful adjunct to antibiotic therapy, I decided that I should let people here know about it.

“Many people who have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, or other autoimmune disorders, or from chronic allergic disorders such as hay fever or asthma, or from unexplained chronic fatigue (the chronic fatigue syndrome), as well as from infertility or other less severe disorders, have found that small, safe dosages of cortisol have been dramatically beneficial when prescribed by their physicians according to the author’s therapeutic recommendations.”

Source:
    Safe Uses of Cortisol

More information:
    Causes of Adrenal Insufficiency
    Are Corticosteroids and Glucocorticoids Safe and Effective?
    Book review of Safe Uses of Cortisol

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Very interesting Phil.

Have you tried this approach? If yes, can you share what your experience has been?

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Anonymous
    Participant

Very, very interesting. I have found the conversion guide:

Prednisolone 5mg is equivalent to hydrocortisone /cortisol/ 20mg

Linda L.

m.
    Participant

Years ago, my health care practitioner recommended I get my adrenals tested using a saliva kit, the ASI, from Diagnos-Techs Labs.

http://www.diagnostechs.com/Pages/ASIPatientOverview.aspx

The kit called for four saliva samples, taken over the course of the day, to catch the normal rhythm of high in the morning to low at midnight.

As it turned out, my adrenals were functioning well with my cortisol levels within normal range.

If the test indicated a need for support, he recommended the book Phil mentioned, Jefferies’ Safe Uses of Cortisol and only using physiologic doses (small, to match the body’s normal output) of cortisol.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Lynnie,
    @lynnie_sydney wrote:

Very interesting Phil.

Have you tried this approach? If yes, can you share what your experience has been?

No, I have not tried it. The main reason I found this information is because I was searching for info that might be helpful for a family member who is currently taking prednisone — I was trying to find something safer that could be used to replace the prednisone.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Calida
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

This is something I learned about a little over a year ago and have researched on and off since then. Since this therapy has the potential to be a useful adjunct to antibiotic therapy, I decided that I should let people here know about it.

“Many people who have suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, or other autoimmune disorders, or from chronic allergic disorders such as hay fever or asthma, or from unexplained chronic fatigue (the chronic fatigue syndrome), as well as from infertility or other less severe disorders, have found that small, safe dosages of cortisol have been dramatically beneficial when prescribed by their physicians according to the author

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

A Friend
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi Lynnie,
    @lynnie_sydney wrote:

Very interesting Phil.

No, I have not tried it. The main reason I found this information is because I was searching for info that might be helpful for a family member who is currently taking prednisone — I was trying to find something safer that could be used to replace the prednisone.

Phil

EDIT: Phil, I posted a bit too soon. Just after posting my reply, and then reading from this article/link below, there were/are so many clues that I am definitely going to share the link/information with my family member. For a long time, he has been at his wits’ end to find “a cause” or “the cause.” Hopefully, this will be the key that unlocks the puzzle. Thanks again for sharing this subject. (I really have not gone off the deep end, it just seems so logical!) AF

http://www.mbschachter.com/adrenal.htm
    Causes of Adrenal Insufficiency
    by Michael B. Schachter, MD, FACAM

Hi Phil,
    I plead total ignorance on cortisol and its possible uses/benefits. However, as I read/listened about the above subject site, a close family member’s plight comes to mind, and has me wondering. This member has had worsening problems over a lengthy period of time. His physician keeps asking about and testing and suggesting… mentioning thyroid. The family member for years has experienced sleeplessness and extreme tiredness has also been involved. If you have any thoughts or light to shed on these “clues”, I would appreciate any comments.
    Thanks,
    AF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi AF,
    @A Friend wrote:

The family member for years has experienced sleeplessness and extreme tiredness has also been involved.

Are those the only symptoms? Does he take any vitamins or other supplements?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

A Friend
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi AF,
    @A Friend wrote:

The family member for years has experienced sleeplessness and extreme tiredness has also been involved.

Are those the only symptoms? Does he take any vitamins or other supplements?

Phil

Phil, thanks for responding with your questions above. Decided a PM might be best way to reply to your questions and to give and receive additional information.
    Thanks much,
    AF

PhilC
    Participant

Hi AF,
    @A Friend wrote:

Although those symptoms could be caused by a lot of things, a magnesium deficiency is one of them. Just a possibility for consideration…

Phil

- Albert Einstein

A Friend
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi AF,
    @A Friend wrote:

Although those symptoms could be caused by a lot of things, a magnesium deficiency is one of them. Just a possibility for consideration…

Phil

Phil,
    After I read your message above, out of curiosity I went to my saved Word documents on magnesium research. Almost immediately, I saw this information and link about the necessity of Magnesium supplementation when D-3 is taken… which I don’t remember reading before. I’m sure that is because I had saved the article a while before my long episode of reacting to the high-dose Vitamin D-3. My family member is taking Magnesium supplements, but with everything going on with his health, the dosage just may not be enough. Will look at his approximate total intake.

Probably you and others will appreciate another aspect of this reference to Magnesium and D-3 I just found in the file — if you are not familiar with the research showing Magnesium needing to be addressed also when one is taking high-dose D-3.

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/magnesium-and-vitamin-d.html
    Take Magnesium AND Vitamin D
    To Avoid Vitamin D Side Effects
    Read more: http://www.easy-immune-health.com/magnesium-and-vitamin-d.html#ixzz2VJl0UAIK
    http://www.easy-immune-health.com/signs-of-magnesium-deficiency.html

MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY & VITAMIN D
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/424473-magnesium-deficiency-vitamin-d/
    Magnesium is a mineral known for its role in maintaining strong bones and muscle tone. It is also required by all the enzymes that metabolize vitamin D . Without adequate amounts of magnesium, vitamin D cannot be properly utilized. For this reason, magnesium is considered the most important of the five co-factors for vitamin D.

I learned and began appreciating Magnesium supplementation (as liquid MagChlor90) several years ago when I was having ongoing sciatica and bone pain, and had found my body’s acidosis was the culprit. Taking it, along with other recommended steps, addressed the bone pain and acidosis.

The radiologist commented positively, after a lengthy period of time, when later films showed improvement — and this was after a long period of time when the high dose MagChlor90 had been taken regularly. (I had learned about the MagChlor in a book by Dr. Sherry Rogers, where she listed it in the back of her book as being the strongest magnesium available without having IV magnesium. And later, I would discover the online book by Dr. Mildred Seelig (longtime, extensive researcher of magnesium) titled “Magnesium in the Pathogenesis of Disease.” Her work has to be the most complete on this subject that has been done. You can go to the book title online, and can easily do searches for words and phrases related to magnesium deficiency and various diagnoses and research. No doubt, magnesium deficiency can be/is often a missing link.

Phil, thanks for your reply on magnesium. Its deficiency I noted in the Seelig papers, along with needed supplementation of magnesium when Vitamin D-3 is taken, will encourage me and probably others to take another look at this research. I believe I read that magnesium plays a roll in over 300 of our body’s functions.

AF

jasregadoo

I just found this thread, and have a question. If I’m reading this correctly, it’s thought that a low dose prednisone might be helpful in AP therapy? Is that correct? If so, is that because it helps with inflammation and pain only, or is it believed that it would actually make the minocycline more effective?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @jasregadoo wrote:

If I’m reading this correctly, it’s thought that a low dose prednisone might be helpful in AP therapy? Is that correct?

No, this is about taking hydrocortisone rather than prednisone or another corticosteroid. Hydrocortisone is a natural hormone (our adrenal glands make it), whereas the stronger corticosteroids like prednisone, prednisolone, methylprednisolone, etc., are not.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.