Home Forums General Discussion LDN Safe?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    worldofme
    Participant

Anyone here taking LDN? How long do you take it for?

Calida
    Participant

Yes, very safe. I’ve been taking it for 3+ years and my husband put both severe Graves and early RA into remission almost 3 years ago with only LDN. I just started my OES, Baxter, on LDN for early arthritis, minor paw allergies and some GI irritation (all tests for Bax at the veterinary clinic were negative for GI infection or blockage).

LDN was used in the children’s Crohn’s pilot study headed by Dr. Jill Smith at UPenn Medical Center and was found to be safe and effective when used in children.

LDN Crohn’s study link:

Therapy with the opioid antagonist naltrexone promotes mucosal healing in active Crohn’s disease: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23188075

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Maz
    Keymaster

Yup…although in my case, as a thyroid disease patient with toxic multinodular disease (causes bursts of hyperthyroidism), I found that I was getting night tremors. LDN can improve thyroid function, so caution needs to be taken in thyroid patients who may need to adjust their thyroid dose over time. Also, users of LDN must not take any opioid medications.

Calida
    Participant

Right, I did mean to add that my husband started with 4mg but had some symptoms of Graves return the next day so it was reduced to 2.25 and he’s done well on that dose. We didn’t know about the thyroid effect at the time.

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

worldofme
    Participant

I don’t think I have thyroid issue. But I always felt fatigue all my life. One of my doc said I have symptoms of chronic figure syndrome but all blood work has been normal plus they don’t have test for cfids.

Could LDN make cfids worse?

Calida
    Participant

I don’t think I have thyroid issue. But I always felt fatigue all my life. One of my doc said I have symptoms of chronic figure syndrome but all blood work has been normal plus they don’t have test for cfids.

Could LDN make cfids worse?

I think you mean CFS, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. It may respond well to LDN and is often associated with the Epstein-Barr virus and some autoimmune diseases. Sometimes people are diagnosed with CFS before labs identify a particular case of AI Disease.

Supplements

worldofme
    Participant

Ok, I just took 1mg last night and wow! I had the best sleep in 5 years. I felt 30% reduction in flank pain. Will this continue or stop after my body is adjusted.

Calida
    Participant

If the great sleep and reduction in flank pain isn’t just a coincidence, it seems as if your body responds very well to LDN. 1mg is really a minuscule dose so you may not get the full benefit until you take the dose prescribed by your doctor.

Supplements

worldofme
    Participant

Does response to ldn indicate strong relationship with ongoing inflammation?

Calida
    Participant

LDN can reduce inflammation, reduce pain and ease anxiety via the increase in endorphins. In your case, the proof that it’s doing anything for you will manifest itself over the coming days and weeks. A noticeable decline in inflammation will be the only valid way to judge the effect of LDN in your case and an early sign will be a decrease in pain/discomfort. You seem to have experienced some benefits of LDN in just one night but it’s best to confirm by continued improvement.

Supplements

PhilC
    Participant

1mg is really a minuscule dose so you may not get the full benefit until you take the dose prescribed by your doctor.

That’s likely to be true in most cases. However, some people are extra sensitive to naltrexone, and the typical LDN dose would tend to make their pain and inflammation worsen rather than improve.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

No improvement on 2nd dosage. Will continue to increase the amount each day upto max 3mg. The only thing I get out of it is FULL night Sleep.

Linda L
    Participant

I would increase a dose slowly. I was taking 1mg for two weeks and it was too much. I have a thyroid issue though.

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

PhilC
    Participant

I found some information that may be helpful to those who decide to try LDN:

“While not observed in research studies, some physicians have anecdotally reported anxiety and tachycardia as adverse reactions to LDN. As anxiety is a known symptom of opioid withdrawal, it is possible that some individuals would experience anxiety due to blockade of endogenous opioids. Further observation will need to be carried out to determine how common this adverse event is and how to best manage it.”

The use of low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as a novel anti-inflammatory treatment for chronic pain
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3962576/

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

worldofme
    Participant

Since starting ldn I notice my tachycardia feeling is back. It’s at deep sleep and right when I wake up.

Is tachycardia could be cause by ldn?

Also, I don’t feel any difference I feel more pain.

The rib cage and thoracic spine just hurts so much to move.

I feel ldn has reboost immune system and causing It to Agressive attack….plz help.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.