Home Forums General Discussion klogan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    klogan
    Participant

My February flare/herx is still going on. And this is me on prednisone – nearly as much as pain as before prednisone. I had two good days on prednisone. I have a bunch of questions – any opinions will be appreciated:

• Can a herx be way worse than any flare you've had before? Mine certainly is.[/*:355kthsc]
    • Anyone ever had blisters/finger lumps as a flare symptom? I have blisters on my thumbs and big toes, a few other random spots.
      [/*:355kthsc]
    • I've been on AP about 8 months. I had a two month improvement in there (summer) and now bad again. There's still hope for AP, right? “The Road Back” book makes it sounds like all the herxing happens in the first 6 months, but I know from this board that it's not always like that. Anyway, I cut down to 50 mino 3 times a week. Someone please tell me to hang in there.
    • Can NSAIDS like ALEVE cause reflux without my having symptoms other than a really sore throat? I think the sore throat comes with the herx / flare, but of course the dr says not. Try priolosec she says. Any problems with prilosec and other meds for RA?[/*:355kthsc]
    • Can hot baths with epsom salts / peroxide make you feel worse?
    • Blister/hard spots on fingers, reflux – could this be scleroderma?

With great appreciation for all,
    klogan

DianeWI
    Participant

Hi Klogan,

The Minocin and the Doxy cause me great reflux stress.  Perhaps you are not tolerating it just the best or perhaps it is a herx.  I have been on this program for a long time and I can't handle either antibiotic well anymore.  Its not just the reflux.  I now swell through the belly to the point where I can't wear my slacks.  All the acidophalus does not touch this.

I believe that many of us have a mixture of diseases going on.  Who really knows what the correct labels are?  Nor does it really matter.  What does matter is that you find something that will knock down the mycoplasmas.  Keep working at it.

In the meantime for current pain issues, have you tried epsom salt/peroxide baths?

Most with scleroderma by the way, have Raynauds that is tough to control.  Do you have symptoms of coldness where nothing will warm you?  Is your skin tight on your legs or face where it is dififcult to walk, or difficult to make facial expression?  SD tightens and thickens tissue.  I hope you don't have this.

I have had to add Zithromax to my weekly meds.  Have you tried that?

Don't give up.  In time, you will feel better.

Diane

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=87]klogan[/user] wrote:

Anyone ever had blisters/finger lumps as a flare symptom? I have blisters on my thumbs and big toes, a few other random spots.

Hi Klogan,

If memory serves, I think it was Susan Lyme/RA also reported blisters on fingertips a couple months ago (info on old BB). You may try pm-ing her to see if she came up with any information on this and if they've resolved.

I also came across some information a while back about Reiter's and that blisters on feet and finger tips are common. I don't know if this info will help or hinder, but just thought to pass it along in case.

http://dermnetnz.org/scaly/reiter-syndrome.html

It's a possibility that with extra symptoms there is some type of coinfection that may need addressing. We have the main dx, but we have a lifetime of pathogen load and, when the immune system is busy fighting one thing, another can emerge. Diane's suggestion to think about adding a second abx may also help. I think Zith is pretty broad spectrum.

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

PS I included the Reiter's site just for info…please don't be freaked by the pics there. They always seem to put the worst possible case scenario on these sites and I'm certainly not a doctor…just thought to add the link for interest's sake.

😉

Peace, Maz

klogan
    Participant

Ah, so this could totally be a reaction to the mino/doxy, rather than a flare or a herx! Dang.
    I'll see what the doc says.
    Thanks
    kml

Fran
    Participant

Klogan-  I have had hard spots on my fingers too–finger lumps.  ALso, the skin on my fingertips got sort of hard and red.  I also had a sore throat but it was more like swollen glands deep in my throat.  I had that for months on mino.  I have since switched to zithro and after the initial week where I started, my “sore throat” has cleared.  I, too, felt my “sore throat” would come with a flare/herx.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘ klogan’ is closed to new replies.