Home Forums General Discussion interesting article

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    casey
    Participant

Found this article interesting . Not sure about anyone else here( with the exception of a few in Ont)) but i have high 1,25 D, low 25 D, hypoparathyroidism and am always battling with the acid/alkaline balance. Clik “full text” for full version.

http://www.smw.ch

[align=right]Home | Sitemap | E-Mail Webmaster  [/align]
    Metabolic and endocrine effects of metabolic acidosis
    in humans.

Wiederkehr M, Krapf R.

[align=right]Swiss Med Wkly 2001;131:127?132[/align]

Review article;
    Peer reviewed article

[align=right][/align]

Summary

Metabolic acidosis is an important acid-base disturbance in humans. It is characterised by a primary decrease in body bicarbonate stores and is known to induce multiple endocrine and metabolic alterations. Metabolic acidosis induces nitrogen wasting and, in humans, depresses protein metabolism. The acidosis-induced alterations in various endocrine systems include decreases in IGF-1 levels due to peripheral growth hormone insensitivity, a mild form of primary hypothyroidism and hyperglucocorticoidism. Metabolic acidosis induces a negative calcium balance (resorption from bone) with hypercalciuria and a propensity to develop kidney stones. Metabolic acidosis also results in hypophosphataemia due to enal phosphate wasting. Negative calcium balance and phosphate depletion combine to induce a metabolic bone disease that exhibits features of both osteoporosis and osteomalacia. In humans at least, 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D levels increase, probably through phosphate depletion-induced stimulation of 1-alpha hydroxylase. The production rate of 1,25-(OH)2 vitamin D is thus stimulated,and parathyroid hormone decreases secondarily. There is experimental evidence to support the notion that even mild degrees of acidosis, such as that occurring by ingestion of a high animal protein diet, induces some of these metabolic and endocrine effects. The possible role of diet-induced acid loads in nephrolithiasis, age-related loss of lean body mass and osteoporosis is discussed.

Medizinische Universit

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Casey;
         This is a very good article and should be reposted differently so that more people see it.My 1,25 is wayyyy too high and my 25 is low.I am sure A Friend would be most interested as she is always looking for the answer to acidosis.Can you get this post deleted and repost maybe under the heading ..interesting article on vit.d/acidosis.This is an article everyone should read.I see that you saw Dodo's post on remission.It was the MP that got her there when the AP did not do more than make her feel almost normal.I don;t think she even realises it and must send her an e-mail.So busy with shows right now that I can't even mail my friends and if I have a few minutes I just want to crawl into a hole.This herx is almost slowing me down and I feel like s—-.I think I might stop the antibiotics for this week because it is just too much to take while facing deadlines.If I stop them I will know for sure if it is herx or SD coming back.I have all the old symptoms minus skin hardening and gerd.YUK!

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Casey;
       Is there any more info other than this paragraph? I tried searching but I have a dinosaur of a computer and dial-up service and just can't get hold of anything

Mumof3
    Participant

Hi Casey,

That is very interesting. I would also be interested in reading the article in its entirety as I also have very high 1,25D, low 25 D and hypothyroidism. I wasn't able to access when I logged onto the website. Thanks very much for posting this!

casey
    Participant

Lynne, I am so sorry to hear about your symptom return. I certainly hope you get a handle on it as soon as possible …actually i know you will.

Funny you mention to repost this. After i posted it i tried to go back and change the topic title but i couldnt figure out how to do it so i just left it alone .

It is now reposted !

Mumof3
    Participant

Hi Lynne,

I responded to this last night from my Blackberry but for whatever reason it didn't work. I'm really sorry to hear that are feeling rough right now. I hope that the herxing stops soon. I have Lyme also (I'm now totally convinced). When I started on the Lyme antibiotics (Flagyl/zithromax) I felt awful at first. But now I am beginning to see improvements so I know they are helping. Hang in there Lynne. Hope you are feeling better soon!

mkbeeliever
    Participant

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

Casey;
       Is there any more info other than this paragraph? I tried searching but I have a dinosaur of a computer and dial-up service and just can't get hold of anything

here is the article again –

casey
    Participant

Mkbeeliever, thanks for the attachment . I sent it to Lynne via email and she said she recieved it. Wondering if older computers wont open some or certain attachments?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ interesting article’ is closed to new replies.