Home Forums General Discussion Inflammation from Injury

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    jasregadoo

Back in April, I tripped over my dog’s bed and fell pretty hard. I had x-rays that showed a tiny crack in my shoulder. I went to physical therapy for several months, and eventually had an MRI that showed bone-marrow edema, which is inflammation in the bone. The doctor said that there is not much to be done for that, other than continuing the exercises given to me by my physical therapist, and time. No need for surgery (thank goodness) and a cortisone shot would not help. He said that it would take about 6 months to heal, but thought that it might take me longer, given my inflammatory arthritis, because my body might not be as willing to let the inflammation subside.

He is an orthopedist, though, not a rheumatologist. I’m wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue, where you had inflammation caused by injury, and whether it took longer to heal than it would for an average person. It’s been a bit longer than 6 months, and while the pain is nowhere near where it was at the beginning, it really hasn’t improved in the last 2 months or so.

Maz
    Keymaster

Jasregadoo, so sorry to hear this…must be very painful and think your orthopedist is right that injured rheumatic joints can take longer to heal.

Can you refresh my recall….are you seropositive for RA? I.e. Positive RF and/or anti-CCP? I’m wondering as bone marrow edema occurs also in psoriatic arthritis in active disease (as well as trauma, osteomyelitis, RA, etc).

jasregadoo

Hi Maz, I am sero-negative inflammatory arthritis. I should update my signature line. I don’t think the edema is caused by another form of rheumatic disease, since it is just where the crack in my bone is. But who knows. 🙁

Maz
    Keymaster

I see, so you weren’t diagnosed with RA, but an inflammatory form of “idiopathic” arthritis? It’s kind of interesting because folks who have seronegative Arthritis quite often get the random dx of “”seronegative” RA, but it’s actually a form of reactive arthritis. What I’m trying to get at is that if this is the case, then a modified protocol might help (E.g. A CPn protocol) in your recovery.

There is a blog that was penned by Katherine Poehlmann PhD that describes how joint injuries can precipitate rheumatic diseases and can lead to flares. I can put you in touch with her, if you think it might help?

Joint Trauma and the Onset of Arthritis

Red Lizzy
    Participant

Back in April, I tripped over my dog’s bed and fell pretty hard. I had x-rays that showed a tiny crack in my shoulder. I went to physical therapy for several months, and eventually had an MRI that showed bone-marrow edema, which is inflammation in the bone. The doctor said that there is not much to be done for that, other than continuing the exercises given to me by my physical therapist, and time. No need for surgery (thank goodness) and a cortisone shot would not help. He said that it would take about 6 months to heal, but thought that it might take me longer, given my inflammatory arthritis, because my body might not be as willing to let the inflammation subside.

He is an orthopedist, though, not a rheumatologist. I’m wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue, where you had inflammation caused by injury, and whether it took longer to heal than it would for an average person. It’s been a bit longer than 6 months, and while the pain is nowhere near where it was at the beginning, it really hasn’t improved in the last 2 months or so.

If you are looking for something to speed up the progress of your injury look into this product, has been working wonders for myself and 2 of my relative that have tried it, really is good …

https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/cutting-edge-supplement-for-pain-inflammation/

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Are you currently taking an anti-inflammatory of any kind?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

jasregadoo

Hi Red Lizzy,

I saw your post on that…I haven’t read up on it yet, but I likely will.

Hi Phil,

Some days I take an anti inflammatory, generally Advil. I try not to take them too often though, because I worry about my stomach. My FIL had serious stomach issues from too much NSAIDS, and I don’t want that pain. It does help when I take it.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Consider taking MSM. Celadrin may also be helpful.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

kater
    Participant

I broke my toe 6 weeks ago== not healing well. I had it re-xrayed today and and it is healing but very slowly. I have scleroderma. Going to increase minerals, already increased fish and krill oil. I will look into the MSM thanks Phil
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

pattyrod
    Participant

Have you looked into Cryotherapy? I haven’t done it myself, but read many positive reviews.

Patty

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.