Home Forums General Discussion Inflamation info

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lynne G.SD
    Participant

This pertains to osteo arthritis but probably pertains to us also.
    New study proves that pain is not a symptom of osteoarthritis, pain causes arthritis by University of Rochester (NY) Medical Center
    September 29, 2008

New treatments will seek to interrupt 'crosstalk' between joints and the spinal cord.

Pain is more than a symptom of osteoarthritis, it is an inherent and damaging part of the disease itself, according to a study published September 29* in the journal Arthritis and Rheumatism.

The study revealed that pain signals originating in arthritic joints, and the biochemical processing of those signals as they reach the spinal cord, worsen and expand arthritis. In addition, researchers found that nerve pathways carrying pain signals transfer inflammation from arthritic joints to the spine and back again, causing disease at both ends.

Technically, pain is a patient's conscious realization of discomfort. Before that can happen, however, information must be carried along nerve cell pathways from say an injured knee to the pain processing centers in dorsal horns of the spinal cord, a process called nociception. The current study provides strong evidence that two-way, nociceptive “crosstalk” may:

? First enable joint arthritis to transmit inflammation into the spinal cord and brain,

? And then to spread through the central nervous system (CNS) from one joint to another.

Furthermore, if joint arthritis can cause neuro-inflammation, it could have a role in conditions like Alzheimer's disease, dementia and multiple sclerosis.

Armed with the results, researchers have identified likely drug targets that could interfere with key inflammatory receptors on sensory nerve cells as a new way to treat osteoarthritis (OA), which destroys joint cartilage in 21 million Americans. The most common form of arthritis, OA eventually brings deformity and severe pain as patients lose the protective cushion between bones in weight-bearing joints like knees and hips.

“Until relatively recently, osteoarthritis was believed to be due solely to wear and tear, an inevitable part of aging,” said Stephanos Kyrkanides, DDS, PhD, associate professor of Dentistry at the University of Rochester Medical Center. “Recent studies have revealed, however, that specific biochemical changes contribute to the disease, changes that might be reversed by precision-designed drugs. Our study provides the first solid proof that some of those changes are related to pain processing, and suggests the mechanisms behind the effect,” said Kyrkanides, whose work on genetics in dentistry led to broader applications. The common ground between arthritis and dentistry: the jaw joint is a common site of arthritic pain.

Study Details

Past studies have shown that specific nerve pathways along which pain signals travel repeatedly become more sensitive to pain signals with each use. This may be a part of ancient survival skill (if that hurt once, don't do it again). Secondly, pain has long been associated with inflammation (swelling and fever).

In fact, past research has shown that the same chemicals that cause inflammation also cause the sensation of pain and hyper-sensitivity to pain if injected. Kyrkanides' work centers around one such pro-inflammatory, signaling chemical called Interleukin 1-beta (IL-1beta), which helps to ramp up the body?s attack on an infection.

Specifically, Kyrkanides' team genetically engineered a mouse where they could turn up on command the production of IL-1beta in the jaw joint, a common site of arthritis. Experiments showed for the first time that turning up IL-1beta in a peripheral joint caused higher levels of IL-1? to be produced in the dorsal horns of the spinal cord as well.

Using a second, even more elaborately engineered mouse model, the team also demonstrated for the first time that creating higher levels of IL-1beta in cells called astrocytes in the spinal cord caused more osteoarthritic symptoms in joints. Past studies had shown astrocytes, non-nerve cells (glia) in the central nervous system that provide support for the spinal cord and brain, also serve as the immune cells of CNS organs. Among other things, they release cytokines like IL-1beta to fight disease when triggered. The same cytokines released from CNS glia may also be released from neurons in joints, possibly explaining how crosstalk carries pain, inflammation and hyper-sensitivity back and forth.

In both mouse models, experimental techniques that shut down IL-1beta signaling reversed the crosstalk effects.

Specifically, researchers used a molecule, IL-1RA, known to inhibit the ability of IL-1beta to link up with its receptors on nerve cells. Existing drugs (e.g. Kineret

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=31]Lynne G./SD[/user] wrote:

The implications of this process go further, however, because the cells surrounding sensory nerve cell pathways too can be affected by crosstalk.

Facinating study, Lynne. I think the above comment pretty much says it all….the “crosstalk” reference bringing bio-films to mind. Since reading of scientists reversing “autoimmune” type 1 diabetes by injecting mice pancreases with capsaicin, to shock the nerve cells in this organ and thus reset the immune system…I have suspected a neurological component to many RDs. In diseases like MS, it's a given, but the nervous system is the body's communication system. Would not surprise me one bit if it was hijacked by stealth pathogens to communicate and get around. What further interested me about that diabetes study is that the researchers thought at the time that it was a therapy that could reset the immune systems of MS, crohn and other “AI” patients. I wonder…could it be that capsaicin is just one heck of an anti-bacterial that is readily absorbed by the nervous system?

Any chance you could kindly post the link to this article? Also, if you could edit this article, using just a couple of quotes, it would be greatly appreciated. RBF really does have to be mindful of copyright infringements on the BB. Apparently, a few quotes are fine, according to copyright law, but whole articles that are imported without express author permission are risky. Thanks for your understanding in advance. If you have permission to freely disseminate, of course, please disregard. 😉

Peace, Maz

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Maz;
       This comes from the http://www.prohealth.com site .They send a weekly letter to all members.Sighn up for it as there is lots of great info. this info came in as
    http://www.prohealth.com/library/shortarticle. … =eg100108x

As to doing a resume,I don't think my english is very good and I probably would miss something you need

Maz
    Keymaster

Thanks, Lynne!  Much appreciated.

By the way…your English is fantastic! I would never know French was your first language, so don't give it a second thought. I think you're a very clever lady to have taught yourself English while wading through the health quagmire. You rock!

Peace, Maz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘ Inflamation info’ is closed to new replies.