Home Forums General Discussion Incredible ALS story

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

If memory serves, we've had one or two ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) patients in the past year or so asking about the efficacy of antibiotic therapy for this disease. The woman in this story got three different diagnoses from different doctors, one of which was Lyme Disease causing ALS-like symptoms. She is being treated with antibiotics and is now making great strides after receiving a death sentence.

Phyllis Mervine of CA Lyme shared this story on my CT Lyme support group today and just thought others might find it of interest. Always good to have archived in case anyone else comes along with this devastating disease and is looking for answers. This link documents the original story of this lady in 2003:

http://www.rideforlife.com/archives/000592.html

Although I would like to post the private post from her family which documents this lady's progress to today, I wouldn't like to presume I can put it here. In essence the update says that although she was unable to pick up legs 7 months ago, she can now raise them straight out from a sitting position and hold them in place for a good length of time. She continues with the support of a ventilator, but her doc feels her increasing strength is a good sign he can now be more aggressive with treatment and will add another antibiotic. The unfortunate side of this story is that because longterm antibiotic therapy for Lyme is not approved or covered by insurance, this family is struggling to pay for her treatment, her meds costing $750 every 6 weeks. The upside is that they have a Habitat for Humanity home on the horizon.  

Many neurological diseases have been linked with Lyme disease, termed “Neurological Lyme.” These have included diseases such as MS, ALS, Parkinsons and Alzheimer's. In fact, one prominant researcher, Dr Allen McDonald found that 7 out of 10 Alzheimer patient brains that he autopsied contained the cystic form of Lyme. Many neurological Lyme patients taking longterm antibiotic therapy find their symptoms are regressing and there are currently studies being carried out in Canada on the efficacy of minocycline in early MS.

Peace, Maz

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘ Incredible ALS story’ is closed to new replies.