Home Forums General Discussion Imuran & Doxycycline drug interaction

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lolly2pops
    Participant

I am currently on the conventional treatment for systematic scleroderma with lung fibrosis and skin involvement. I need advise on doxycycline and Imuran drug interaction as I am taking both and in addition prednisone 5mg and chloroquine 250mg. Thank you.

Dx: systemic sclerosis in April 2016 with lung involvement (UiP), raynauds, sausage fingers, and overall swelling, high skin score, general body weakness, fatigue and weight loss . Symptoms started in 2005 and took 10 yrs to get diagnosed. Current meds: 100mg minocycline X2 p/d, milk thistle, turmeryne, mega C 1000 X2 p/d, calcium channel blocker, chloroquine 200mg p/d and probiotics. Tried NAC but this caused stomach pain and discomfort. Other meds used: imuran (oct 2016-dec2017), doxycycline and cellcept

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lollypops,

Drugs.com has a helpful interactions checker. I plugged in your four medications and appears there are no known interactions, but it’s wise to always crosscheck with your doctor.

https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=593-0,940-0,1936-0,296-139

Are you taking any supplements?

lolly2pops
    Participant

Hi Maz,

Thank you for the feedback.

My Dr assured me that there was no interactions between these two drugs but I came across something disturbing.

Please checkout these two links: http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/imuran/doxycycline%20hyclate/
    http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/doxycycline/azathioprine/

I’m not taking supplements yet but will soon be adding them to my treatment.

Dx: systemic sclerosis in April 2016 with lung involvement (UiP), raynauds, sausage fingers, and overall swelling, high skin score, general body weakness, fatigue and weight loss . Symptoms started in 2005 and took 10 yrs to get diagnosed. Current meds: 100mg minocycline X2 p/d, milk thistle, turmeryne, mega C 1000 X2 p/d, calcium channel blocker, chloroquine 200mg p/d and probiotics. Tried NAC but this caused stomach pain and discomfort. Other meds used: imuran (oct 2016-dec2017), doxycycline and cellcept

richie
    Participant

It seems that I am seeing many folks being advised to use doxycycline as opposed to minocycline –is this productive or effective –I am not so sure !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lolly2pops
    Participant

Hi Richie,

In my case I had to opt for doxycycline as I can not afford minocycline. I am based in South Africa and to get minocycline i would have to chop half of my salary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.