Home Forums General Discussion Impressive Supplements with Controlled Studies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

Reduces Risk of Alzheimer's by 78% … and probably helps a lot of other things.

We with compromised bodies and immune systems are often deficient in many things the body needs to get well — things it may not be able to digest, absorb, convert, manufacture, etc. 

Sometimes when supplements are discussed, occasional posters argue that there are no (or few) studies done on supplements.  Since studies (depending on who does them and who pays for them to be done and what products are used in the studies) can be important, it was thought this topic may be helpful to some. 

The link below is to a news article e-mailed by my former AP-physician, retired, which tells about a controlled study that shows that certain levels of Vitamin C and E, when taken together, reduced the incidence of Alzheimer's by 78%.   My thinking was immediately:  If these together can do this, then I'm  adding those separate Vitamin E's to the supplements I take. 

These results are published in a respected Neurology medical journal.  To read the article by a well-known urologist and author, click on the link below:

http://www.wisdomsedge.com/wejoom/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=564&Itemid=31

AF

Joe M
    Participant

I plead guilty to being critical of unproven claims made by supplement manufacturers.  If I were to turn my critical eye on this study, I would note the following:

• Controlled does not mean double-blind.[/*:3075j7fk]
    • The study relied on a one time self-reporting of vitamin usage by study participants.  This reporting was done at the beginning of the study, and no follow up was done to confirm consistent supplementation throughout the study.  Self reporting is near the bottom of the reliability totem pole. [/*:3075j7fk]
    • The original Cache County study was not designed to study supplementation, and the authors of the original study point out the limitations in their sampling (you can find the original Cache County study easily online). [/*:3075j7fk]
    • The study does not take into account the diets of those who did not report taking supplemental C and E, which means they could have been getting just as high levels from their diet.[/*:3075j7fk]
    • The people who self reported taking C and E supplementation were already younger and healthier than the other study participants.[/*:3075j7fk]

I would rejoice if preventing or reducing risk of Alzheimers was as easy as taking C and E.  But as the authors of the second-hand study note, more study is needed. ( the second-hand study is also free on the Archives of Neurology website.)

Also, the reported reduced risk was 78%, the reduced incidence was 64%, contrary to your bolded statement in your post.  I'm sure this was just a typo but I know you would not want to mislead anyone.

A Friend
    Participant

Joe M,

Your e-mail was written like a true professional, which you seem to be.  I've been meaning to ask you if you are a pharmaceutical representative, or a healthcare professional of some type.  You seem to be very knowledgeable in these areas, and also seem to have an adversarial bias against some things.  Do you, or am I reading something into these encounters?  The positions you take concerning posts — and especially posts such as this one — seem out of the ordinary.  Do you mind my asking what your profession is?  And if your profession influences your opinions in this regard. 

I was attempting to report what I read in the report sent to me, hoping it would be helpful to us, making our antioxidants more powerful to protect us — and especially our brains.  I had a good bit of confidence in the report, or I would not have posted it here.  The words in bold were actually  the title of the original e-mail sent to me by my retired AP physician.  The study was enough to convince me taking Vitamin C and E together had merit.  Vitamin E, in my opinion, has already gotten some pretty good press in the past, so has C.  So, take them together I do… and will continue to do so.

Have a good day Joe M,

AF

Goodwife
    Participant

Hi, AF

Our naturpathic doc (and other places that I have read) says in order for Vit E to be truly effective, it has to be taken in conjunction with C.  Can't remember the details regarding this, but it seems that one is a 'conductor' for the other's effectiveness and absorption into the body, if that makes sense!

L (husband SD) – AP 14 months

Bill
    Participant

Thank you so much for posting another excellent study Friend. I know many of us have been helped by your diligent sleuthing. I have often read over the years of a positve synergystic effect of C and E taken together.

The newer Gamma E Mixed Tocopherols seem particularly effective in quenching free radicals.

Thanks for being  such a positive and helpful source of great information. And thanks so much for truly caring about people. You are greatly appreciated.

Be Blessed,

Bill

A Friend
    Participant

Another e-mail received gives more information about Vitamin E and other vitamins…
    That same retired AP physician has sent more on vitamin E studies, this time from Yale University School of Medicine.  If you click on the link below, there appears to be good explanation of the findings in this “News Headlines…Research” information. 

A description of the source follows:

http://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=82719&m=1NIU123&c=hexeybti

Low vitamin E levels linked to greater physical decline By Stephen Daniells

1/23/2008- Low blood levels of vitamin E are linked to greater physical decline in older people, suggests a new study from Yale University School of Medicine.

The researchers obtained measures for several micronutrients, including folate, vitamins B6, B12, D and E, but only the last vitamin was associated with physical decline for older persons, they report in the Journal of the American Medical Association.

AF

Joe M
    Participant

When my wife was first dx'ed, we ran across many websites promoting all kinds of cures for RA.  They looked scientific, some had doctor testimonials, etc.  When I first came across this site, I knew it was different because of the science behind it.  The double blind MIRA and ODell studies gave it credibility.  I am afraid that new people will see all the posts regarding things that have nothing to do with AP and dismiss AP as just another one of those quack cures. 

A Friend
    Participant

Joe M,

I don't believe you have to worry about patients who have been sick with chronic illnesses for a long time coming here and thinking it is another one of those “quack” cures.  My thinking is they are already thinking that what they have been receiving prior to coming to this site is the “quack” cure.  In my case, for several years, this was the case.   

The way membership in RBF BB has grown in the past several years gives a bit of testimony about this, along with the positive posts of members. 

Doctors have been trained for years with very little emphasis on nutrition and complementary medicine.  It has appeared to me over the past 15-20 years, since becoming ill myself, that too much medicine is practiced with just writing an RX for another chemical to address whichever symptoms we have at the time — that does not address the cause of the problem.  Our bodies, especially chronically sick bodies, need a lot more help than that for restoration.  In our case, because our immune system cannot zap the invaders, AP (Minocin, Doxy, etc.) can help us do this and address the underlying problems.   

This site is different, it not only has the science behind AP, but has other substantial, respected information for helping the body recover what it needs  to function naturally.

We can each agree it's ok to disagree. 

AF 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ Impressive Supplements with Controlled Studies’ is closed to new replies.