Home Forums General Discussion HLA-B27

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    jasregadoo

Hi All, Last week I had an appt with my rheumatologist (not an AP doc), and she tested me for HLA B27. I tested positive. She said there is no need to change my treatment plan based on this information, but wants to see me in 3 months rather than 6. I am currently taking 100mg of Minocycline 1x a day (should be 2x, but I am forgetful). I’ve run out of my MSM, need to get more. I do take a good probiotic daily.

I am doing pretty well, have some pain in my left foot, but I think that is plantar fasciitis, and I’m doing exercises to help that.

Any thoughts on HLA-B27, and whether a change in treatment would be wise? Is this a genetic marker?

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi jasregadoo,

It’s not unusual for people who initially get diagnosed with “seronegative RA” to find later they had some form of reactive arthritis (Reiter’s, AS, or PsA) all along. Although it makes no difference in your AP, if it is working for you, it is good to have this info in case you need to make tweaks down the road. Those with HLA-B27 often find that eliminating certain foods from their diet also can help (namely starches and nightshades).

You might find it helpful to get tested for some of the known infectious causes of reactive arthritides. These are numerous and I have a list I can share, but the more common ones include the chlamydias, klebsiella pneumnoniae, strep, e-coli, and others. Knowing which bugs are in one’s pathogen load can help in modifying AP, if minocycline alone isn’t sufficient. LDN can also be a helpful adjunct for this sub-set of rheumatic patients. My MIL had PsA and plantar’s fasciitis and other tendon inflammation (and cramping) was a common thing – seems that magnesium oil massaged into affected tissues can help. If I think of anything else, I’ll add it later, but having a family reunion as we speak!

Nice to see you back, Jasregadoo! Hope you have had a lovely summer!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.